Seating

19:00 11th - 17:00 13th May 2012 (# signed up, # paid)
iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Re: Seating

Postby iMess » Sun May 06, 2012 4:50 pm

We need to build our own hall :)
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Sun May 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Jani wrote:Well if LAN was held in any proper city then I don't see what that would be a problem. BT and Virgin both provide products which would easily allow a full Westlan to game over the net. Unfortunately Budleigh is stuck in the 1990's and only has poxy ADSL and will probably never get a proper connection for the next 10 years.

sadly its not that simple. we have spent a lot of time looking at halls over the years and its a lot harder than you think to find one that meets our needs and doesn't cost at least double what we currently pay.
we could look in to using these halls but it will mean doubling the ticket cost
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

cygnes
Unter Peon
Origin ID: cygnes82517
steamid: cygnes

Postby cygnes » Sun May 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah, agreed Mike... it's very difficult... also finding a hall with everything you need that understands the requirements of what is actually involved running an event like these.

May WestLAN Continue forever !!

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Sun May 06, 2012 5:26 pm

mikethegreek wrote:
Jani wrote:Well if LAN was held in any proper city then I don't see what that would be a problem. BT and Virgin both provide products which would easily allow a full Westlan to game over the net. Unfortunately Budleigh is stuck in the 1990's and only has poxy ADSL and will probably never get a proper connection for the next 10 years.

sadly its not that simple. we have spent a lot of time looking at halls over the years and its a lot harder than you think to find one that meets our needs and doesn't cost at least double what we currently pay.
we could look in to using these halls but it will mean doubling the ticket cost

I would also add, unless its a very unusual hall, they're not going to have anything beyond a basic ADSL package. For the lan, a 100mb virgin service would be ideal. No hall in their right mind are going to pay 50 quid a month for broadband.

Its a very unusual set of requirements we have for a hall, overnight stays, electrical power, availability for full weekends, broadband.

Anyway, nows a good time to ask your friends to go along ;)
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun May 06, 2012 8:51 pm

I've got an extra one to sign up. I warn you in advance though...he's a weird one

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Sun May 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Jani wrote:I've got an extra one to sign up. I warn you in advance though...he's a weird one

I thought "s-one-mon" wasn't going?

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun May 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Folks, WestLAN has been hosting events for many years, we have 6 staff, there is basically not chance of it dying completely.

We've been busy in our personal lives, we've also put the LAN on autopilot for a long time - we don't advertise much, we don't bring many new people along. We can change this around easily enough if we put our minds to it.

I think a lot of the youth of today are console gamers, not PC geeks - that most certainly has an impact. Games not having LAN play isn't a massive deal, I don't think it's affecting our numbers that much.

Can I please ask you to do your bit though - ask friends if they would like to come along, pester your mates to signup. At the time of writing I see 27 people signed up, that's got better in the last few days.

We'll have 64 man LANs in the future, you just wait ;)

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Sun May 06, 2012 10:28 pm

xconspirisist wrote:I think a lot of the youth of today are console gamers, not PC geeks

When hasn't that been true in the last, I don't know, 20 years?
I adblock smilies.

iMess

Postby iMess » Mon May 07, 2012 12:32 am

xconspirisist wrote:Folks, WestLAN has been hosting events for many years, we have 6 staff, there is basically not chance of it dying completely.

We've been busy in our personal lives, we've also put the LAN on autopilot for a long time - we don't advertise much, we don't bring many new people along. We can change this around easily enough if we put our minds to it.

I think a lot of the youth of today are console gamers, not PC geeks - that most certainly has an impact. Games not having LAN play isn't a massive deal, I don't think it's affecting our numbers that much.

Can I please ask you to do your bit though - ask friends if they would like to come along, pester your mates to signup. At the time of writing I see 27 people signed up, that's got better in the last few days.

We'll have 64 man LANs in the future, you just wait ;)

I'm going to make some posters and get a mate to plaster them in exeter uni :)
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety

Postby xconspirisist » Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 am

Cheers iMess ;)

Freelance wrote:
xconspirisist wrote:I think a lot of the youth of today are console gamers, not PC geeks

When hasn't that been true in the last, I don't know, 20 years?

Well I won't argue that console gaming has been around for a long time, but multi player gaming was for some time only possible on PCs. Network enabled consoles are relatively new (never seemed to pick up on the PS2/GameCube). Now that these consoles are far more appealing (mostly capable of equal to PC graphics, very cheap) and include network play, many gamers now-a-days I think just discard PCs. This is something that will increase, as now-a-days you simply cannot buy gaming-capable PCs in high street computer shops anymore.

Things were very different when I was getting in to LANs - any PC you bought was capable of running Starcraft, Red Alert 95, etc. Now I'm sitting next to a behemoth of customised hardware that I deliberately created to be capable of gaming without lag. Console gamers don't need to care about that.

I'm not going to roll over and give up though, we can have another 64 man event if we put some effort in.

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin

Postby bloodtobleed » Tue May 08, 2012 1:02 am

This'll be the first time that I've been to a WestLAN since the one held last May. I can purely chock it down to having no money (Lost my job in August and started a Cornwall College course in September for those of you that don't know). Really looking forward to it and can't wait to get away from the house for a whole weekend.

Personally I like both PC and Console gaming. As money is currently an issue and I would love to upgrade my PC but can't, console gaming has that cheaper draw for me. I think Paul had somewhat the right idea adding consoles to the LANGeeks lineup but I think a full house of PC gamers would be better. I've been trying to get a mate to come down for a weekend but he's in the RAF and struggles to get away from the base at times.

The other side of things for me is that I don't have many PC gaming friends locally. Most of them are off at Uni and I'll be joining them in September.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 am

I think advertising in Exeter uni is a fantastic idea especially to the tech students who are the ones most likely to come along. As it's basically local for Exeter folk I think that is best.

I can't wait to see another 64 event tbh. It's still fun with 20 people but for some reason I just get a buzz seeing a hall full of people. :)

xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Tue May 08, 2012 10:28 am

Yup, this has come up several times. We've done it in the past and it sucked - giving out posters simply doesn't work.

More suggestions are very welcome ;) But again, ping your friends - word of mouth. I go around spamming people on Facebook and Steam every now-and-then, you guys can all do the same!

iMess

Postby iMess » Tue May 08, 2012 10:55 am

Perhaps if we offered a 'Newbie Special' Price - say £5 less for the 1st attendance. This may encourage ppl to try out the LAN and build on the core regulars. If they enjoy themselves they will pay the extra fiver to attend again. As it is, Westlan is the cheapest LAN party around anyway.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Tue May 08, 2012 1:29 pm

I like that idea, shall need to be discussed.

perhaps something the new website can automate

Return to “Saltlan 27”