Post-LAN Thread

1st -3rd July (# signed up, # paid)
egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Post-LAN Thread

Postby egg99 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:47 pm

No one seems to have set one up yet so I thought I would.

Thanks as always to the staff for organising a really great event; lots of people remarked how amazing things were at the weekend.

Pros:
Getting punters to organise their own competitions - thanks to Cherry, Swiss and Psymon (and anyone else who organised something!) for doing this.
New TF2 tourney - loved the team element and still haven't got over how amazing the final was! 10/10 would do again!
General atmosphere was really chilled; met some lovely newbies who I hope will come again!
Newly decorated toilets - wooooooooo!
Breakfast bappage! <3

Cons:
There didn't seem to be as much use of the shoutouts board as normal/people didn't seem to be noticing shoutouts as much. Not sure if there's an easy fix to this, to be honest, but I enjoyed seeing it getting regular use at previous LANS, even for ridiculous things! XD
Fewer projector games/less enthusiasm for projector games than normal - missed Jackbox etc this time!

Once again, thanks to staff for being so staffy!
Love Egg xxx

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin

Re: Post-LAN Thread

Postby bloodtobleed » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:47 pm

@egg:
Glad you enjoyed yourself :)
Apologies for the lack of projector based messages. The system we made unfortunately needs some TLC. Right now Xcon is all over the place and I'm fighting to get my dissertation sorted out :( I promised to dedicate some time to it over the next few months in time for the next WestLAN though!
As for projector-based games, we normally have Tech to thank for buying, and setting up Jackbox etc. It's something we'll have to look at in the future (perhaps one of the staff can make a purchase or we can set up a LAN steam account or something something ramble ramble).
Feedback (both positive and negative) as always is appreciated :D

@everyone
Thanks all for attending. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as egg did.
Thanks to Alien for bringing the Vive and letting plenty of people have a play.
Thanks to Cherry for running CS:GO for me and bugging me all weekend to work on my diss :lol:
Thanks to Swiss for stepping up and helping out a lot with the LAN including the TF2 Highlander tourney which (as egg pointed out) was awesome.

Shoutouts will hopefully be back next LAN and hopefully I can crack the Youtube bugs that have been pointing and laughing at me so we can get some videos up again.

Edit:- We now have Jackbox Party Pack 2 and Drawful 2 on the WestLAN Steam account 8)

Stevemanics
BIFF
Origin ID: Stevemanics2
Battle.net: Stevemanics
steamid: Stevemanics

Postby Stevemanics » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:50 pm

There's a shoutouts board?

Agreed on pretty much all of the above - I didn't take part in TF2 this time so can't comment on that. I liked the random teams in CS:GO this time, even if we did still lose every match :lol:

Thanks again, and I hope I can make it in October.

Edit - second message wasn't there when I started replying.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:09 am

yes.. shiny was spamming it last lan? remember? :P

BoltVanDerHuge
n00b

Postby BoltVanDerHuge » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:05 am

Only my 2nd WestLAN, but thoroughly enjoyed it once again - massive thanks to all the staff and people organising the games :D

The CSGO tourney was really good fun and the random teams were definitely worthwhile given the quite wide ranging skill levels :wink: Also had some good games of TF2, L4D2, Nidhogg and late night drunk Duck Game... definitely need to get better at those last two. Never time to fit everything in I know, but we did miss out on a proper big deathmatch game of some sort, be it HL2DM or the new UT maybe?

I don't really have anything negative to say, as mentioned a revamped noticeboard thing would be useful, but otherwise the only problem was how shit I felt Sunday afternoon :?

egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Postby egg99 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:50 am

bloodtobleed wrote:@egg:
Apologies for the lack of projector based messages.

Please don't take the Cons as an actual criticism! It's my day job encouraging me to always find room for improvement, and I really had to rack my brain to come up with anything! :)

Hopefully see you all at the next event (or LANGeeks in September)!

Stevemanics
BIFF

Postby Stevemanics » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:29 pm

Neomancer wrote:

yes.. shiny was spamming it last lan? remember? :P

Yeah, I didn't realise that was the same thing until the second message was posted.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:08 am

bloodtobleed wrote:Thanks to Alien for bringing the Vive and letting plenty of people have a play.

No problem bud, It will be making a return.

GiraffeKOOOO
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: Cherry_killah
steamid: CherryKillah

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:42 pm

Yes Thank you all the staff for having us, it must of been harder with there being only a few of you this time but I'm glad there were some tasks that you pawned off on to us :D @Egg and Chris, thank you for the kind words :) but it was mostly great fun to organise the cs:go as it allowed me to get involved and stuff. @Blair thanks for the TF2 tourni, and to everyone who played because I have never played such a close game of TF2 :lol: it was definitively better than the normal games! The only thing that made me upset the most about this LAN is that went by too quickly :lol: already looking forward to the october LAN :D
I like trains Image Quake 3 rape trains

Stevemanics
BIFF

Postby Stevemanics » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:38 pm

cherrykillah wrote:The only thing that made me upset the most about this LAN is that went by too quickly :lol: already looking forward to the october LAN :D

That's always the case. Even the LANs that last a day longer *cough*ShinyLAN*cough* still feel like they're over too quickly.

Stoolbend
n00b

Postby Stoolbend » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Did someone say ShinyLAN?

Why yes they did!

ShinyLAN 16.2 - 72 hours of LANtastic action!
Come on down to Wincanton on the 26th August for 72 hours of unbeatable LAN action!
It costs only £30 (if you pay by the 26th July, otherwise £35) to come, and boy do we have some good stuff!
  • Organised Tourneys (CS:GO, TF2 and more...)
  • Many board & card games
  • Free poker tournament
  • and new this lan... DRINKBALL! (or drinking swingball)
Some other highlights...
  • Big ole' hall
  • Many nearby shops, food and KFC
  • Just off the "world famous" A303! (about 40 mins from Taunton, 1h from Exeter)

For the full skinny, check out http://www.shinylan.co.uk/events.php?event=SL16.2.
See you there!
-Stoolbend
> Rich .: fuck that
> "Conor - 【=◈︿◈=】": yeah but like
> "Conor - 【=◈︿◈=】": the intro music gives me a stiffy

Return to “SaltLAN 39”