A small suggestion...

3rd - 5th July (# signed up, # paid)
User avatar
egg99
LAN Mother
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 pm
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

A small suggestion...

Postby egg99 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:53 pm

I was going to put this just to staff as a suggestion, but thought it would definitely affect everyone so decided to post here.

Jefford's email on Friday about the event (which, incidentally, ended up in my junk inbox, so I only came across it tonight and got very angry with my spam filter!) mentioned the following:
"Ladies toilets, with our growing numbers of lady attendees it would be appreciated that we keep our usage to the Mens/disabled toilets."

Firstly, can I say thanks for being lovely and considering the ladies, staff? It's very kind of you :) Dubiously, however, I fall into the category of a lady, I do actually feel qualified to say something here... in defense of the guys. You gents have got some shitty (literally) facilities in the gents' loos. Seriously. I've been in there; it's not good. You've got, what, two actual toilets between fifty of you, if you include the disabled? Just putting it out there, but can't the (in this case) eight girls just use the disabled loo and you guys have the three extra? It seems so unfair that we get three loos between us, while you lot have to suffer. I'm sure none of the girls who attend would give a damn if the "Tits or GTFO" sign was housed on the door of the other loo.

I just wanted to hear people's thoughts?

Love Egg x

User avatar
psymon
Unter Peon
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:21 am

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby psymon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:02 pm

egg99 wrote:I was going to put this just to staff as a suggestion, but thought it would definitely affect everyone so decided to post here.

Jefford's email on Friday about the event (which, incidentally, ended up in my junk inbox, so I only came across it tonight and got very angry with my spam filter!) mentioned the following:
"Ladies toilets, with our growing numbers of lady attendees it would be appreciated that we keep our usage to the Mens/disabled toilets."

Firstly, can I say thanks for being lovely and considering the ladies, staff? It's very kind of you :) Dubiously, however, I fall into the category of a lady, I do actually feel qualified to say something here... in defense of the guys. You gents have got some shitty (literally) facilities in the gents' loos. Seriously. I've been in there; it's not good. You've got, what, two actual toilets between fifty of you, if you include the disabled? Just putting it out there, but can't the (in this case) eight girls just use the disabled loo and you guys have the three extra? It seems so unfair that we get three loos between us, while you lot have to suffer. I'm sure none of the girls who attend would give a damn if the "Tits or GTFO" sign was housed on the door of the other loo.

I just wanted to hear people's thoughts?

Love Egg x

Second!
Although, I'd love if anyone could use anything, toilets wise, as long as they don't make a mess, or FULLY clean it up if they do somehow lose control of their bodily functions.

User avatar
egg99
LAN Mother
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 pm
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby egg99 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:07 pm

psymon wrote: Although, I'd love if anyone could use anything, toilets wise


Exactly - no one batted an eyelid when I went looking for a hungover Spring in the gents at a previous LAN. Although, I promptly left again when I saw how grim it was! :lol:

User avatar
ManaTime
Unter Peon
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 pm
steamid: manatime777

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby ManaTime » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:08 pm

Sorry to be the negative Nazi, but I feel comfortable using the ladies toilets, as I am a female. I don't want to be subjected to sharing one toilet with 8 other people. I'm also guessing the men have urinals as wells as cubicles.

Sure, if there are 3/4 girls we can give away an extra toilet in our area, its the privacy of the toilets. Getting changed etc. I'm sure guys slyly use the ladies toilets if their desperate and should follow toilet etiquette..(Double flush if you leave anything behind, putting the seat down, cleaning the piss of the floor) but entirely giving up the ladies toilets is a no from me.

What if we had a disabled person cone to the Lan, had difficulty getting on and off the toilet and took their time and there are same amount of females all trying to use the one toilet?

I also gave up sleeping in the little changing area, because of the number of women attending and if they felt uncomfortable with Chris being there, and Chloe wanting her own privacy.
I'd rather shit in my hands and clap.

User avatar
psymon
Unter Peon
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:21 am

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby psymon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:11 pm

ManaTime wrote:dat sig

Signature more relevant than ever?

User avatar
ManaTime
Unter Peon
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 pm
steamid: manatime777

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby ManaTime » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:14 pm

psymon wrote:
ManaTime wrote:dat sig

Signature more relevant than ever?



Haha. Yep. I also don't feel comfortable with mixed gender toilets. Not at a LAN.
I'd rather shit in my hands and clap.

User avatar
egg99
LAN Mother
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 pm
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99
Location: Portsmouth, Hampshire

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby egg99 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Ok! Fair enough, Mana!

I'm not very good at seeing it from a female's POV but will acknowledge that some/most/all other women at LAN may feel more the way you do! :)

We can consider the suggestion retracted, if you like!

User avatar
psymon
Unter Peon
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:21 am

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby psymon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Worth mentioning the public toilets adjacent to the hall.
Call it a last resort?

User avatar
xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Posts: 6182
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:04 pm
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist
Location: Hyrule. ▲
Contact:

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:49 pm

I'm curious what all the ladies have to think about the subject, but just as a matter of personal curiosity. Not for one moment am I suggesting that ladies are typecasting men as incosiderate and dirty, but I think most guys clean up after themselves and don't piss on the seat/floor. From a hygine perspective, I don't think it should matter much.

Having said that, there is more to consider than hygiene, and one of those things is privacy. Even if that was the only other reason that ladies should have exclusive access to the ladies bahroom, it would still be valid for me. This is what most of the staff think too - so its something we've changed for this LAN and going forward. Ladies use ladies bathrooms. Gebts use gents bathrooms. You decide which one of those categories you for into, and the disabled loo is there too if you prefer that!

Still, interested to hear the discussion, but I think this policy aligns us with the rest of the world, and if guys have to queue a little longer, then so be it.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin
Posts: 2667
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: United Kingdom, Somerset
Contact:

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby AlienX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:51 pm

Firstly, I want you to read my reply as me typing it, not a staff member - not WestLAN's voice, just my individual opinion.

I totally understand that equality anywhere between women and men is a good thing, but sometimes I feel that sometimes it goes from one side to the other - that being everything being great for guys, then everything being okay for gals...

You say that "I do not want to be subjected to sharing one toilet with 8 other people" which is fine and is your argument and your voice, however now this then goes towards equality being voided by the girls towards the guys (at least that's how I feel). Personally I used to use the girls toilets even when there were girls at the LAN, and none of them ever seemed to care that I was in there cleaning my teeth or whatever.

How many cubicles do you have in there, three right? - I thought it was four but meh... I would much rather that the toilets were shared some-what where the guys could use one or two toilets if the ratio between girls and guys was enough to warrant it.

Heck, I do not want to share a toilet with ~50 other guys, but unfortuantly I do not have a choice as i have a third leg.

*edit*
I am however a pretty laid back person, and not much stuff gets to me. So I just go with whatever is decided because it's easier than starting an argument, but on the other side of the coin it's good to also voice my individual opinion.

Much'o Love - AlienX

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:54 pm
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin
Location: Langport

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby bloodtobleed » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:58 pm

99% of the time I'm just in for the urinal. I think I've only ever once had to use the disabled toilet when the men's has been busy. And that was at a 60-person, all-male LAN. Two urinals and 2 bogs is still more than enough tbh. Plus, as Psymon has said, there are about 5 public toilets outside. I felt awkward as hell using the ladies' toilets and I'd feel awkward as hell with a woman using the men's. I'd say privacy above all.

User avatar
ManaTime
Unter Peon
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 pm
steamid: manatime777

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby ManaTime » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:02 pm

The toilet etiquette/hygiene wasn't just aimed at the men by the way. It was for everyone. No one likes dirty toilets right?

I also meant that I wouldn't be happy sharing just 1 disabled toilet with girls and that be it (Although I would use the public ones outside). I'm more than happy to share the girls toilet when there are less girls here. (I get there are already less of us, but 8 is still quite a bit). But if its the girls toilets, surely the girls should have some priority to using them right? IF i wanted to do a quick sink/strip wash I could ask that men not enter the bathroom and quickly notify the women?

I wouldn't feel comfortable changing a tampon/pad in a cubicle knowing two guys have walked in having a chat etc. Some men may be fine with it, but I, as a woman don't.

I'm not asking for special treatment or anything like that, I get that there are more males to female's, and we all have calls to nature etc but why should we give up our privacy because of that? A few times I have felt uncomfortable with men being in the bathroom, especially when I was getting ready to go bed and in bed.
I'd rather shit in my hands and clap.

User avatar
iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Posts: 4640
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:36 pm
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess
Location: Taunton

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby iMess » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 pm

I shit in the woods.

Love,
Bear.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

User avatar
xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Posts: 6182
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:04 pm
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist
Location: Hyrule. ▲
Contact:

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:20 pm

I need to restate - open discussions are great, and I'm personally still curious to hear what you all have to say, in particular any other ladies who feel they want to contribute something.

The comment I made about women wanting "privacy" amoungst other things was a roundabout way of saying something I thought was obvious - see MannaTime's post about why ladies might want privacy and cannot be equalled out like men :P Also as a reminder, all people may have many other reasons for why they might need a bit of privacy. Let's accept that and not wait for definitions and descriptions?

However, this isn't a debate to get a policy changed back. This policy of ladies for the ladies loo, gents for the gents loo, and the disabled loo being open also to anybody is the same as you'll find in pretty much any public place. We started it this LAN and it's how things are going to be.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin
Posts: 2667
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: United Kingdom, Somerset
Contact:

Re: A small suggestion...

Postby AlienX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:29 pm

ManaTime - Thanks for your reply.
You make some good statements, things I did not think about.

I'm too tired to write a proper reply, not that it matters anymore lol.


Return to “SaltLAN 36”