3rd - 5th July (# signed up, # paid)
psymon
Unter Peon

Re: Stats System Feedback

Postby psymon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:08 pm

egg99 wrote:
psymon wrote:exploitation of a system is something that's always in our mind

Maybe I'm just not as cynical as you ;)

There are some delightful quotes about cynics. I won't deny there's some bad quotes though.

egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Postby egg99 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Wow. Way too deep for Post-LAN Sunday discussion!

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:05 pm

The phrase that always comes to mind with things like this is "you get what you measure", especially when there's a carrot or stick involved. It's the same with any performance target in any walk of life.
I adblock smilies.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 pm

I lurrrved the stats, bloody good work Alien :)

lets stick to individual game prizes though, combined overall scores are (technically) interesting, but don't work so well.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:09 pm

For the RTS peeps, can we get some Lambda Wars going next LAN? Free Mod :)
Last edited by iMess on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:10 pm

In regards to "Can another game that isnt based off the source engine have its stats collected?"
No is the short answer.
Nooooooooooooooooooo is the long one :P

Valve themselvs have built the stats sending part of the components required for this directly into their source engine (log_addaddress and log on are the commands), because of this and how the stats are sent it is near impossible to get stats out of another game that does not use the source engine and include them in the stats.

While I would love to enable this functionality, i do not feel that the time to reverse engineer some game to inject some custom made DLL or use memory reading to collect stats then send it in the same format as the source dedicated server does is a good way to spend our time, it's also really difficuilt!

Since i have been home I have found that there is a problem with HLStatsX:CE when the SteamID's changed their format...
While this did not exactly ruin the stats for us, it did however mean that if you changed your user handle during the event your stats will stop being collected for user A, and start being collected from fresh for user B - i believe i have found a fix for this and will see how it works for next time perhaps...

I do however agree totally with "Please organise more games where I can win shit", yeah deffo and this is a fault by us/me/etc - more organised games will make an appearance at the next LAN.

ManaTime
Unter Peon
steamid: manatime777

Postby ManaTime » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:36 pm

I enjoyed stats, I've used them in just tf2 games before to use points for tf2 prizes but thats a completely different boat. I was 50th overall and that was just from playing less than an hour's worth of tf2. Congratulations to everyone who won! I'd be happy for it to happen again, and I'd probably play more this LAN. I was to busy worrying about being a banana and fundraising + catching up with friends etc. Also I don't play counterstike because I'm a terrible human being and just drag the whole team down :P
I'd rather shit in my hands and clap.

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:41 pm

bloodtobleed297 wrote:MVM shouldn't have stats enabled (pretty sure someone said it was enabled on their MVM game).

This might have been me, after planing MVM i noticed a rank increase for me to almost single digits. I did say this to AlienX who said that it shouldnt be recording. possiblly double check that Mark? as im almost certian it did (I only played 1 game of MVM)

If the stats were to give an easier way to see who won a tourni, then yes turning it off when the tourni is not rnning would be a good idea.

If it were possible to have 2 of the stat things running, perhaps could record the stats for all games on 1 and the tournis on the other?

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:46 pm

I did think of running two stat systems and yes it is possible.

For example the "Tournament Stats System" will display stats from Tournament only approved servers, and the "WestLAN Stats System" would provide stats from the Tournament Servers as well as servers like TF2:MvM and L4D.

A simple landing page could get this going easily.

As per the MvM stuff,
Stats were 100% not being logged, I thought that I had finished setting up the MvM servers - turns out the only thing i did was listening ports and host names, even the rcon password was still "PASSWORD" in the config files...

No logging was enabled on the servers and the stats page always shows 0/0 players and no map title for the MvM servers.

Answer to your question of "My points went up randomly", HLStatsX will collect and cache stats and then inject them to the database when it has enough, it is entirely possible that the last cache had stats for you and it injected them into the database (thus updating the website) after your play time in a stats-enabled server.

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Question1: Where was the page for the stats?
Question2: Can we find the stats post LAN?
Apologies if I've missed an obvious answer either of these had :C

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:54 pm

The stats URL was advertised right here well before the LAN:
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=5718&hilit=stats

The stats server was hosted locally at the LAN, but if people would like me to put the stats up on agngaming.com (or westlan.co.uk, if i remember how to access it lol) i can do that.

the exterminator
BIFF
steamid: terminator3000

Postby the exterminator » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:09 am

Might be easier to add it to the http://www page
I am a #WindowsInsider

Techfreak-SSM
Phone-Monolith Admin
Battle.net: techfreakssm#2204
steamid: techfreak-ssm/techfreak2006