Stats System Feedback

3rd - 5th July (# signed up, # paid)
AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Stats System Feedback

Postby AlienX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi all,
This is the first time we have used the stats system as a LAN-Wide tournament, but I am wondering on how you guys thought it went.

Stuff like:
- How did it perform?
- What would you change?
- etc.

Good to get feedback.

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Re: Stats System Feedback

Postby Gooseman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Psymon needs to be banned from showing up on it!
the above post is being sarcastic, please don't read it literally.
Last edited by Gooseman on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Gooseman wrote:Psymon needs to be banned from showing up on it!

Thanks for your constructive criticism, however we at WestLAN enjoy having attendees of all skills and types, unfortunately excluding gifted attendees is counter-productive to the environment we wish to have at our events.

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:52 pm

ive adjusted my post

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin

Postby bloodtobleed » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Multiple TF2 servers required for space. Then split people evenly as possible across the two servers.
MVM shouldn't have stats enabled (pretty sure someone said it was enabled on their MVM game).
Semi-relevant feedback: Overall stats competition for LAN seemed to subtract from having proper tournaments (UT2k4 insta-gib pls). You have to be awake and available to play every time a game is started to keep up score. Individual tournaments mean more chances to win prizes for the heavy sleepers and less-skilled members.
I'd also assume that there's nothing to stop someone from setting up a friend on the server to soak up bullets to artificially increase score.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Could you rotate it around different games and gametypes? Say 1 hour it's on CS, then TF2, then something else, etc. Maybe synchronise switching which game has stats active/disabled with an announcement on the projector.

Also as much as it's good when a big game happens, it doesn't happen all the time. mix up big and small games

I do share blood's concern about farming for points, because as soon as you add prizes it becomes serious business, but I'm not sure how to really do anything about that without diving into some obscene esoteric scoring system in an effort to make it "fair" that just pisses everyone off. Maybe just have the stats and prizes, but less of a "HEY GUYS REMEMBER THERE ARE PRIZES AND WE'RE RECORDING EVERYTHING YOU DO" emphasis on it
I adblock smilies.

The Ben
n00b
steamid: Ilitawan Baralindez

Postby The Ben » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:00 pm

As Freelance said. I know it is source linked but spreading around games might be good - perhaps some non source ones?

All the same, seeing myself at 2nd place on saturday morning (as Ilitawan Baralindez) was like...wat? :P
Ben. AKA The Ben, Warmaster, Lordofbair, Ilitawan Baralindez and probably some other names I have forgotten!

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Played TF2 & HL2 DM first time in 14 months. Didn't play any other LAN games. Came 32nd 1:1 K/D

10/10 Would cum again.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far, more servers will be easy to do, no problem there.

None of the MvM servers had stats enabled on them (luckily I forgot to set the logging up on those servers in the first place.)

Stat collection does not start until there are at least 8 players connected to the server, so getting your buddy in would do nothing.

Keep the comments coming!

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Worked well, and a great idea I think too. No complaints or feedback from me.

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:12 pm

Gooseman wrote:ive adjusted my post

Might be worth retroactively adjusting all the others that applies to, and all future posts...

Agree with the others who suggest spreading it across more types of games. It was all FPS, based, and if we added it to other favourites, like Unreal tournament, or Quake 3, that would unbalance things further, since there are some who aren't as obsessed with FPS games as I am...

My feedback though, would it be counter intuitive to ask how the scoring is calculated?
I'd like to know what matters (kills, deaths, assists, wins, loses, etc.), but I can understand that knowing would influence how some play i.e. in order to win the prize, rather than win the game being played or have fun...

Also, perhaps add a countdown timer somewhere on the page?

egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Postby egg99 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:41 pm

As has already been covered by previous posts, it's good that there's no way to "cheat" the system. Although, it is sad to see people suggesting attendees would try that in the first place :(
I don't think there's anyone at the LAN who would dream of doing something like that, especially when it's such an intimate event where practically everyone knows each other. Most of us are thrilled to witness each other's successes! Sure, the prizes are awesome and we're all so grateful for being given the opportunities to win stuff, but someone would have to be a pretty sad individual to try to win on anything other than skill...

Mark, I loved the stats! Highlights my diabolical K/D ratio but also got me to top of the Cart Captures list! XD

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:42 pm

I believe the stats actually hooks into the source engine.. hence its source only games.. Mark can correct me if wrong

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:56 pm

egg99 wrote:As has already been covered by previous posts, it's good that there's no way to "cheat" the system. Although, it is sad to see people suggesting attendees would try that in the first place :(
I don't think there's anyone at the LAN who would dream of doing something like that, especially when it's such an intimate event where practically everyone knows each other. Most of us are thrilled to witness each other's successes! Sure, the prizes are awesome and we're all so grateful for being given the opportunities to win stuff, but someone would have to be a pretty sad individual to try to win on anything other than skill...

Mark, I loved the stats! Highlights my diabolical K/D ratio but also got me to top of the Cart Captures list! XD

Egg, I think most of us have been playing online games for too long, or have a strong engineer/software type background, and while not expecting anyone at westlan doing such things, exploitation of a system is something that's always in our mind. I expect no offence was intended at any point by any making the suggestions.

egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Postby egg99 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:02 pm

psymon wrote:exploitation of a system is something that's always in our mind

Maybe I'm just not as cynical as you ;)

Return to “SaltLAN 36”