Post LAN Thread

7th - 9th November (# signed up, # paid)
Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Re: Post LAN Thread

Postby Freelance » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 pm

egg99 wrote:Can't we just keep the seating plan how it is and play an ice breaker game or something? XD

Requires organisation. However, I like the idea provided the game is more than "here's your teams, go frag everyone who's not on your team". Get some form of game that requires talking to other people, and would be most useful if it scrambled up the seating plan so few team members are sitting next to/close to each other.
I adblock smilies.

Techfreak-SSM
Phone-Monolith Admin
Battle.net: techfreakssm#2204
steamid: techfreak-ssm/techfreak2006

Postby Techfreak-SSM » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:10 pm

... bit late to party but here goes.

Nidhogg seems to be a good ice breaker game as it is pitting lanner's of varying levels together.

There have been instance's where a random game has been played and it has been quite fun as there is a level playing field between lanner's, which can then spark conversation's along the lines of "how did you do that".
I'm in the camp where i think the current seating plan is great as it is, from the aspect that every one can see the projector and you can mingle if you are that way inclined.

The card games this LAN i feel was a big hit especially Cards against humanity, thanks again to Neo for bring it along to the LAN.

See you all hopefully at the next event :D
Techfreak-SSM

LAN Projector Helper and Wiki Editor |
Website/blog

egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Postby egg99 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:01 pm

What about a massive version of one of those People Bingo cards?
If you've not encountered one before, it's like normal bingo except you have to check off questions like:
Who owns a ginger cat?
Who has twins?
Who owns a Citroen C1?
Etc...
We could hand out paper copies on Friday night and people need to complete them over the course of the weekend. Each completed entry earns a raffle ticket and a prize draw happens Sunday afternoon.
I use these in school all the time with new classes as it forces kids to talk to people they usually wouldn't. I don't mind making a 15x15 version (or bigger) for the purpose of getting people chatting.
Thoughts?

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:11 pm

I like it..

but no obious things that could be found on the forums, maybe request each attendee to provide 3 items (some people are due to have duplicates) and the fact has to be found out through convosation. not just "Egg, what of the items is yours" for instance!

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin

Postby bloodtobleed » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:34 pm

xconspirisist wrote:As for the projector, I'd love to make some improvements, but I shot myself in the foot by coding it in C# - which is a language I really don't like(!). The web interface is also pretty terrible, some time I need to rework a lot of it, but it works, so I'm not that compelled!

I like C# (not so much ASP). I'll take a look if you know what you want done ;)

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:43 pm

Patches are most welcome ;) http://sourceforge.net/projects/fmb/

Madjesty
BIFF

Postby Madjesty » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:21 pm

I certainly agree the prizes and organisation from SaltLAN 33 were really great (and I just realised I didn't cash in my 1/2 price ticket :shock: ).
The extra effort made was certainly appreciated!

Nidhogg on the projector is certainly good fun, as was Smash Bros. played on SaltLAN 33.
Maybe we can get a few more projector games set up?
I would love to try Artemis (yes I am that geeky)
But other games spring to mind:
Screencheat
Bomberman
Goldeneye
And oh so many other split screen console games.
Getting a old PC setup with extra keyboards/controllers specifically for the projector cannot be that hard? Someone has to have one sitting around? Its not like it has to play Crysis 3 on max.

Getting talking is nice idea and all but admit it, stereotypically we are anti-social and introverted group. Trying to find a group amongst 60 noisy busy people is daunting, especially if you don't know people.
Ice-breaking through a game really is best I find, we all love em and battling to the death really lowers boundaries..

Techfreak-SSM
Phone-Monolith Admin
Battle.net: techfreakssm#2204
steamid: techfreak-ssm/techfreak2006

Postby Techfreak-SSM » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:09 pm

On a slightly different note can a admin allow uploading's for the gallery, so punters can upload their pictures..
:D
Techfreak-SSM

LAN Projector Helper and Wiki Editor |
Website/blog

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Hey Tech, I just created the gallery for SaltLAN 34, let me know where photos are and I'll upload them!

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:40 am

I've had an idea for an ice breaker.

All it needs is:
A prize
A random number generator
A short (preferably free) co-op game that requires team work, as opposed to competition, to get a best time / score.

Then:
People get paired / grouped up by seat number.
That's important otherwise friends would just group with friends and defeat the object.
A few minutes later we have a score per group and some winners.

Result: everyone has maybe made at least one new friend/enemy :D

Example:
Trackmania, combine times of pair / group, lowest total wins?

egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Postby egg99 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:07 am

psymon wrote:Example:
Trackmania, combine times of pair / group, lowest total wins?

No one would want to be my friend if it were TrackMania!

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:57 am

I was wondering about hlstatsX on TF2 in a similar way to UT2004RPG, do a rotation of game modes that are played as event games (MvM, CTF, payload, CP, etc) and assign points for the top 5. TF2 is one of those games that gets played a bit, but rarely figures into any competition as it's usually based around big teams.
I adblock smilies.

MrMarvin
Unter Peon
Origin ID: MrMarvin
steamid: MrMarvin

Postby MrMarvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:08 pm

good Idea would be at one point is for everyone to come off their machine for a bit and introduce themselves.

Somehow once introduced people seem more willing to talk to one other.

Its often tough talking at lans to some people as they are sat down with thier headphones.

Also is it possible for everyone to have a profile on this website with their actual picture. Im new to the lan and meet so lots of good people and im awful with names.
Image [url=http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/mrmarv1n/][img]
psn - mrmarv1n, Xbox MrMarvin76, Wii 5163-9785-4515-9711
Origin/Steam - MrMarvin

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Track mania would work it would just require special teaming to keep the very good players apart.

I need to play that game again.

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:38 pm

MrMarvin wrote:good Idea would be at one point is for everyone to come off their machine for a bit and introduce themselves.

Somehow once introduced people seem more willing to talk to one other.

Its often tough talking at lans to some people as they are sat down with thier headphones.

Also is it possible for everyone to have a profile on this website with their actual picture. Im new to the lan and meet so lots of good people and im awful with names.

I had a mental image of sitting in a circle "Hi I'm a gamer" like an AA meeting.

Return to “SaltLAN 34”