CSS video

7th - 9th March 2014 (# signed up, # paid)
psymon
Unter Peon

CSS video

Postby psymon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Nice!
highlights at:
0:40 :D
4:10 :C
9:00 pwnage
10:30 bewm
11:53 suprise
14:25 spray and pray
16:40 derp

egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Re: CSS video

Postby egg99 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:05 pm

We should hook up some webcams and record some angry voices. Would make it much more entertaining XD

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 pm

I do want to eventually hook up a couple of mics to record everyone in the hall too :D

egg99
LAN Mother

Postby egg99 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Jani wrote:I do want to eventually hook up a couple of mics to record everyone in the hall too :D

Do it! Do it! Do iiiiiiiiiit!

egg99
LAN Mother

Postby egg99 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:50 pm

Actually, and I know it would mean a big project and this is entirely hypothetical etc etc, but could we have several of the "top" players record from their machines, webcam, headset and all, and switch between players at the best bits of the match?

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks for uploading it Jani! :D

I'm sure we can find a way of rigging up some mics :)

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Better yet, someone records a 'demo' of the CSS game.
This is a source engine thing. Basically lets you playback the game and you can go into spectator on anyone. Once you've got that you can go crazy filming anything from any angle.
Would still require a separate recoding of voices if you wanted that over the top... Perhaps get everyone into skype/teamspeak and just record that?

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:20 pm

psymon wrote:Better yet, someone records a 'demo' of the CSS game.
This is a source engine thing. Basically lets you playback the game and you can go into spectator on anyone. Once you've got that you can go crazy filming anything from any angle.
Would still require a separate recoding of voices if you wanted that over the top... Perhaps get everyone into skype/teamspeak and just record that?

we have recorded some games in the past. i have a few of these from a few LAN's ago
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 pm

The microphone thing would be easy, all it would require is a few microphones and a mixer. I originally did the game videos from demo's before, this time I was testing out Shadowplay so that's just what I used for it.

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:59 pm

Jani wrote:The microphone thing would be easy, all it would require is a few microphones and a mixer. I originally did the game videos from demo's before, this time I was testing out Shadowplay so that's just what I used for it.

May I call upon your experience and ask for your opinion on video capture software?
All I really know about is fraps, but I feel bad when I 'pirate' it, and the when it fills my HDD with 10 minutes of footage.

egg99
LAN Mother

Postby egg99 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:32 pm

psymon wrote:
Jani wrote:The microphone thing would be easy, all it would require is a few microphones and a mixer. I originally did the game videos from demo's before, this time I was testing out Shadowplay so that's just what I used for it.

May I call upon your experience and ask for your opinion on video capture software?
All I really know about is fraps, but I feel bad when I 'pirate' it, and the when it fills my HDD with 10 minutes of footage.

I know I'm not Jani, but my brother recommended XSplit, and it's been quite good for me so far.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:00 pm

psymon wrote:

The great thing about Fraps is that it captures uncompressed video, I do not know of any other software which does. The obvious downsides are the performance hit, and the files are huge so you need HDD space. It's always good to have your Fraps destination folder on a big, fast hard drive which ISN'T the one your games or OS are also on.

Xsplit and OBS are good for streaming, but again I don't think either can do uncompressed local recording. And with that comes a bigger problem, because the video has to be encoded, that is a HUGE performance hit on any machine, and also the reason why nobody on Twitch streams at 1080p and 60fps unless they have a dedicated encoding machine with crazy amounts of CPU power.

I think Shadowplay is a good compromise, because it captures the output directly from the graphics chip rather than hooking into the process like Fraps/etc do, it's much less of a performance hit. If you put the quality to maximum (50Mbps I think) it gives you pretty nice video, at reasonable file sizes, and you have the advantage of a buffer too so you don't always have to be recording and you can save from the buffer.

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks both.
Have either of you tried Xfire for video capture?
I only ask because I'm aware its another option.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:03 am

No, I didn't know anyone still used Xfire or that it did video. I don't see the point though, it's just even more software to slow your machine down. Fraps is very light weight, and does the best job.

If you want high quality compressed video at reasonable file sizes and you have an Nvidia card, use Shadowplay.

If you want uncompressed video use Fraps.

If you want uncompressed video and NO performance impact on your gaming machine then use a second PC and a capture card.

psymon
Unter Peon

Postby psymon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16 am

I've never looked into capture cards.
How easy and expensive are they to deal with?
/me dives into ebuyer

edit: £100 for something that'll do 1080p it seems...
Think I'd rather give fraps the £23 then buy TB of HDD with the remaining £££.

Ok, last question, video editor.
I want something that's legally free, but is closer to sony vegas or adobe premire, than virtual dub or microsoft movie maker.
Again, while I have done in the past, quite easily, I'd like to find something that allows me to avoid pirating.
I've got a good audio editor (gold wave) and image editor (GIMP) without piracy, but despite my best efforts I haven't been able to find a good video editor.
Any suggestions?

edit2: sorry about the thread hijack :P

Return to “SaltLAN 32”