Trip to Japan in 2013

Group Holiday to Japan in September & October 2013
neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Trip to Japan in 2013

Postby neon » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Kombanwa (Good evening),

After our trip out to Japan earlier in the year, Mike, Techfreak and I are planning a trip out there again next year. Since we've come back several people have mentioned they wouldn't mind joining us on a return trip if we were to go out there again.

Currently the latest suggestion has been a 2 week trip sometime about October-November next year. It should be pleasantly warm still, heading into Autumn over there. It's a lot warmer over there than it is in the UK due to the difference in latitude. We all got rather sun burnt out there in March/April as it was rather hotter than we were expecting! Last time we split the holiday in two, with a week in Tokyo and a week travelling about. We ended up in Osaka for a night and a couple of nights in Hiroshima.

It's not a cheap holiday by any means. For 2 weeks out there, flights, accommodation all in cost us about £2000 each. It's a heck of an experience. One all three of us want to repeat. It has pointed out on several occasions, if you just want to go on a group holiday and see some nice sights there are many places you can go in and around Europe for substantially cheaper (Dreamhack for example). If (like the three of us) you have had an interest in Japan for years, and would love to visit, this is a pretty good opportunity.

Currently we have at least one additional person who will be coming along (Tech's other half), so at least part of the group will be visiting the bigger sights again. So don't be afraid to join us as we will be revisiting the bigger sights. With enough people it's easy to split into groups as well.

We are looking to book flights and accommodation sometime in February 2013 so we can get some reasonably cheap flights (they were £650/each last time).

I realise this isn't going to be for everyone, but if you want to come along make your interest known :)

You will need to have the cash for the flights available in February.

Is anyone interested in coming along for an adventure? :D

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Re: Trip to Japan in 2013

Postby Neomancer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:20 pm

i'd like to go, but i have an expensive trip to book around the same time as you want to book the tickets so i'm not set in stone at the moment.. america flights at short notice will probably be upsettingly expensive :(

uhh also as all of us as exeter based.. how about some group japanese learning? i hate going to foreign countries and expecting them to speak english/not speaking the language :(

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:23 pm

Stop booking holidays i can't fucking go on, meanies.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Neomancer

Postby Neomancer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:25 pm

you're the one who's getting married! :P

stag do? what happens in the maid bar stays in the maid bar.

but after the game you were playing at the lan, i'm not going on the subway trains with you. :|

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:22 pm

I was investigating Japanese lessons yesterday. There is a languages open evening at Exeter University tomorrow, I was planning on attending. Although I also found the Japanese teacher Mike used in the way back.

While we did pretty well with Lessons 1 and 2 of Teach yourself Japanese, I'd like to learn more for next year.

For the amount of contact time you get, the Exeter Uni ones are pretty good. See: http://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/flc/evening/fees/ and http://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/flc/languages/japanese/.

Anyone care to join me on the open/enrolment evening tomorrow night? It's 16:30 -> 18:30. Details here.

iMess, Wedding or Holidays - that seems to be your choice. Not a lot we can do to help you out there :?

Neomancer

Postby Neomancer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:30 pm

at work till 5:30ish :\

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Mark, if you want to head over after work that's probably fine. I don't think they are expecting people to attend the whole 2 hours. It seems to be a chance to meet the people and ask some questions and enrol if you want to. I'm not planning to Enrol tomorrow, but certainly to meet the people.

Techfreak-SSM
Phone-Monolith Admin
Battle.net: techfreakssm#2204
steamid: techfreak-ssm/techfreak2006

Postby Techfreak-SSM » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:44 pm

neon wrote:I was investigating Japanese lessons yesterday. There is a languages open evening at Exeter University tomorrow, I was planning on attending. Although I also found the Japanese teacher Mike used in the way back.

While we did pretty well with Lessons 1 and 2 of Teach yourself Japanese, I'd like to learn more for next year.

For the amount of contact time you get, the Exeter Uni ones are pretty good. See: http://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/flc/evening/fees/ and http://humanities.exeter.ac.uk/flc/languages/japanese/.

Anyone care to join me on the open/enrolment evening tomorrow night? It's 16:30 -> 18:30. Details here.

iMess, Wedding or Holidays - that seems to be your choice. Not a lot we can do to help you out there :?

Good idea for the uni, what time you thinking about poping over neil? as i might be able to finish early instead of being paid overtime
Techfreak-SSM

LAN Projector Helper and Wiki Editor |
Website/blog

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 pm

I was going to head over there for about 17:00 -> 17:30. Depends when I can get out of work.

Do you want to meet and go up together? Save taking two cars?

Techfreak-SSM
Phone-Monolith Admin

Postby Techfreak-SSM » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm

sounds good, where i am in town I can walk to the Uni as parking will be a ball ache.
Techfreak-SSM

Website/blog

Neomancer

Postby Neomancer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:43 pm

what was the verdit on lessons?

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 pm

The Exeter Uni lessons are reasonable in terms of the course. The downside is they run between 6-8pm on Wednesdays that not everyone can commit to, eg. Yourself and Mike given the work you guys do. If you did want to do the Exeter Unit lessons, you have to sign up and pay for them by 5pm Friday this week (5th October) - for either the one term or the two term course.

Having emailed Chihiro (Mike's old Japanese Teacher) - she can't do lessons this year, but she might be able to do lessons sometime next year. Her friend might also be able to offer lessons from the next school/uni term next year. Both are rather busy at the moment.

I've had a quick google, there are some sites which might be able to find someone to teach you - but they aren't cheap. £50 per hour or so. It might also be via Skype as they don't have anyone locally.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:58 am

No pirating while you're there, or you get an extended stay http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/01 ... ding_jail/
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Yeah, rather serious. Although the number of people downloading music in Japan really doesn't surprise me. I looked at buying some music to bring back when we were out there. An Ayumi Hamasaki album was 3800 Yen (£30). That's a heck of a lot of money for 8-16 tracks. The albums were offered in a variety of formats; CD, DVD, USB Stick and others all in store. The other formats came with music videos, and other add-ons, but they also added to the price of the already painfully expensive CD.

I ended up buying a CD from DJ Ackky who we met at the random outdoor music place around Yoyogi. Although I bought the CD from a ridiculously hard to find record shop on the third floor of a random building in Shibuya. Many thanks to Shaun and Mike for their patience while we had two attempts find the place on different days. The Ackky CD was 1400 Yen, which is a far more reasonable £11.

Techfreak-SSM
Phone-Monolith Admin

Postby Techfreak-SSM » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm

We managed to find it in the end, thanks to sheer determination and asking for directions.
Techfreak-SSM

Website/blog

Return to “Japan Autumn 2013”