Dreamhack Winter 2012!

17th and 26th November 2012
xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Dreamhack Winter 2012!

Postby xconspirisist » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:05 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a something to propose: The WestLAN punters get together for a holiday in a foreign country and to attend a foreign LAN party!

In 2011, Myself, AlienX, Wishy, MikeTheGreek, Merson and Jani completed our holiday to Sweden, to visit Stockholm for 7 days and to attend DreamHack, the largest LAN party in the world for another 3 days. Ask any one of us - the holiday was awesome. Video diary here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpcoNhG__eU The funny video diary here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz_UnkaX65Q

So, before this year is up, let me propose we repeat this experience. Absolutely anybody from WestLAN is welcome, the more the merrier. It makes sense to go during the winter, which gives you a few months to save up and book holiday off. I think we'll aim for a slightly shorter holiday this time around, 5 week days, with 2 weekends. That's a 9 day holiday which will have to include the event.

Most importantly, I want you all to have a think about where you would like to go. Head on over to http://lanlist.org and check out the events listed there.

I travel quite a lot for work and often book flights, hotels, etc. I'll do my best to get you all the cheapest prices and best deals. If we are going to somewhere in Europe, I would recommend a budget between £500 - £750 for a sort of "all in figure". Please bare this figure in mind, holidays do add up.

Interested? Well here is what you have to do; post in this thread, registering your interest. DreamHack Winter 2012 is on this year. If we went again, we would probably visit a different area of Sweden (ie, possibly not Stockholm). I'll let you guys decide, this is your holiday, I'm just gonna make sure you all agree on something! You should be looking for places to visit in October, November or December (August, September are too early).

Post below, let me hear your thoughts! I'll call a 2 week deadline on this discussion, lets aim to decide; launch or abort, by Thursday 5th July.

Crafty
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin

Re: Foreign LAN Party: 2012!

Postby Crafty » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Well me and Sean booked 2 weeks in November for the winter Dreamhack. I've never been and am very keen to try it out :D
dd8890 wrote:i have payed useing paypal it say's on it i have payed on the 5 nov £22.93 buy y is it on westlan saying that i am unpay

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 pm

I don't think I could spare the holiday this year, if it was early next year then I'd be keen
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 pm

If im able to save enough money to do this, then count me in.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:34 pm

No can do sorry, i have my wedding to save for :)
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Dreamhack winter 2012 has to be done. November 22-25.

They open up a third arena for even more punters. Plus the esports is very good (world finals for SC2 for example). Oh and 120 Gbit interwebs.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety

Postby xconspirisist » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:25 pm

hehe, would you consider cutting down the 2 weeks, maybe to 1 week (9 days)? I can't afford the holiday, but I'd love to do DH winter 2012!

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:29 pm

xconspirisist wrote:hehe, would you consider cutting down the 2 weeks, maybe to 1 week (9 days)? I can't afford the holiday, but I'd love to do DH winter 2012!

Tbh we booked the two weeks as a buffer as holiday is very hotly contested here. 9 days sounds fine! :D

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:39 pm

iMess wrote:No can do sorry, i have my wedding to save for :)

Get married at the lan party. You know it makes sense ;)
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:22 am

Dreamhack Winter 2012: Thursday 22nd - Sunday 25th November.
Summer 2012 prices was: BYOC = 899 SEK (£82/€102), Spectator = 550 SEK (£50/€62)

Looking at flights:

Heathrow > Stockholm Arlanda = £105/€130 per person regardless of days flying in November.
Heathrow > Gothenburg Landvetter = £99/€123 per person regardless of days flying in November.

To be honest if your wanting to go for a low amount of days before the LAN it's proberbly worth going to Stockholm again. We know the city and we can easily find things to do and a place to stay for the few days we are there. I bet it totally changes in the winter as well. Not to mention we can get the DH train to the LAN.

I'll leave that upto to discussion as im really not bothered as long as we go to DH. :)

I myself will most likely be buying a laptop for this, I've been wanting to buy one for some time now but I guess this will push me into it. So for me it will be a BYOC seat. I see no problem at all with people getting spectator tickets (but honestly for the price difference you may as well buy a seat), there is soooo much going on. Especially if you like esports. You could no doubt nick a seat and sit with us anyway when we're in the main hall.

I would say £750 all in would be about right for the nine days with travel and the LAN tickets included.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 am

iMess wrote:No can do sorry, i have my wedding to save for :)

Dreamhack > wedding.

Either way I'm interesting in a winter 2012 LAN :)

Edit: Merson is right about going to Stockholm, we already know where most stuff is so we wouldn't waste time finding things, plus Sweden is completely different in the winter. It will be very snowy, not quite the 25 degree heat wave we were in last year!

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:01 am

I agree with Merson, going to Stochholm just makes sense... perhaps we can go and see the Mojang office? :P
After all, we can buy another one of them eletronic train tickets again and travel to some weird places (Like last time!).

I gotta have a steak again, omnomnom!

xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:03 am

Interesting point about the snow, Jani, you're right it would be different. I don't see the time being "wasted" though - finding new things in a new city. I think exploration is part of the fun!

Makes sense we change this thread to Dreamhack Winter 2012 then :) I think that is quite easily decided!

I like the idea of getting the DH train too. It was very convenient, good fun.

Merson: Let me know what laptops you are looking at. I'm wanting to get a gaming laptop too. From a first search, ebay has lots of Dell XPS laptops (with less flashy lights than my XPS!). I bought mine for £600, it had two faults: dead battery and only one hard drive instead of two, but ultimately it was is good purchase. The laptop works fine for my purposes: being plugged in at a LAN, but it would be nice to upgrade it.

Would you guys consider maybe two countries? Perhaps, 3 days in Oslo, fly to Stockholm for 2 days, then 3/4 days at Dreamhack? Copenhagen has plenty going on too, with great flight connections. If we book sooner rather than later, we could still easily fit it into £750.

Stockholm is a great place of course, just if we repeat everything we did last holiday it might feel a bit samey.

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Re: Dreamhack Winter 2012!

Postby neon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:40 am

I would love to join you guys, but I don't have enough holiday left. If you had mentioned it earlier in the year, I might have been able to manage it.
Maybe next year, or do you always want to book these things with not much time to go?

xconspirisist

Re: Dreamhack Winter 2012!

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 am

I think we could probably wait a few weeks for booking, I'd like to encourage as many people to come as possible ;) How many days short are you Neil? I'm only gonna take 5 days off.

edit: Actually 6 days, as we'll need the Monday for flights probably.

Return to “DreamHack Winter 2012”