Post LAN feedback

19:00 14th - 17:00 16th September 2012 (# signed up, # paid)
Jani
Swearing Admin

Re: Post LAN feedback

Postby Jani » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Guess where the other hand is ;)
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

iMess

Postby iMess » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Huge thanks to everyone who came to the lan. The difference was truly felt - i.e, it went really quick which means it was really fun! One of the best. I agree the quiz needs work, perhaps Wishy can speak English next time ;)

New table layout - nice work, keep it. It bought everyone closer together which meant people can turn around and talk to others.

Seating placements are a WIP, generally I thought it was good without the user-selected seating plan as some attendees seem to not take part in the same lan as everyone else.

Overall, it was nice to see the staff making an effort to be more involved as opposed to past lans - i hope this continues.

Steam was a dick, but Wishy managed to sort it out happily by the end of the quiz. Great to see Shinylan guys make it back, it was great to dust off CoH again :) Next year, hopefully it'll be CoH 2 :)

Finally, tell all your friends about the Westlan and get them to come along. I know there was some talk of "bring a newbie" special price, not sure if any more thought has gone into that.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:53 am

iMess wrote:Huge thanks to everyone who came to the lan. The difference was truly felt - i.e, it went really quick which means it was really fun! One of the best. I agree the quiz needs work, perhaps Wishy can speak English next time ;)

Perhaps I could not get heckled :P
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 am

You need a VOICE OF GOD PA system.
I adblock smilies.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:44 am

Some members of staff just need more practice at public speaking ;)

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 am

Actually on the PA system front.

Did people find the sound was too quiet. I were further to the back and had problems hearing some things
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:57 am

Perhaps that's because the speakers were next to the projector and facing FORWARDS. As the certified professional THX installer I can confirm this is not the correct placement for speakers :)

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:07 pm

rofl, that made me giggle ;) I think we should elevate them a bit, because the speakers were blasting into Mike, who got pissed off. I was fine with the noise, but appreciate that others found it annoying.

iMess

Postby iMess » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Wishy wrote:
iMess wrote:Huge thanks to everyone who came to the lan. The difference was truly felt - i.e, it went really quick which means it was really fun! One of the best. I agree the quiz needs work, perhaps Wishy can speak English next time ;)

Perhaps I could not get heckled :P

Heckling adds to the atmosphere and it means ppl are paying attention :)

Smelly Llama
BIFF

Postby Smelly Llama » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:32 pm

I had a great time guys, I can also vouch for Oli and Geoff.

Shame about Steam, but wouldn't be computery fun if it worked all the time. I really enjoyed the quiz, quite a bit more than I thought I would. A big thanks for all the effort that went into making it funny and educational! The games were good fun; It would be nice to have some 'organised' games, maybe sign up on a forum page and then randomly select teams for css, csgo, tf2, l4d2, etc. I think that would make for some great fun games. It would, if possible be cool to be able to see some sort of spectator view for the larger games of sup com 2, although I don't like playing it much or really understand what all the little dudes are doing it is very cool to watch!

All in all, nice one :)

cygnes
Unter Peon
Origin ID: cygnes82517
steamid: cygnes

Postby cygnes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Table Layout :

Really loved it, although having an admin on each row is a great idea and sticking "Staff" behind each seat so Noobs know where to go is also a great idea. Much easier for everyone to see the projector, and really great use for upcoming games and other very important announcements such as Sundays breakfast.

Keep the layout but move it up closer to the stage, so you can fit a few more rows in next time.. I liked sitting on the row down the left side, great for an overall view of the whole LAN, and great for photos for your website. shame my camera wasn't really great in low light :(

Generally :

Loved it all, really had a great time this time, nice to see staff doing more planned things during the event. speakers are defo needed to be sorted, struggled to hear anything from the back.. however it's always a tricky one for those at the front due to the volume but I'm sure you guys will sort something.

Overall An Awesome change to an awesome LAN...

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:42 am

cygnes wrote:great for photos for your website. shame my camera wasn't really great in low light :(

Don't want to teach to suck eggs but you need to use a really fast lens (preferably f/2 or faster) or flash. Or wait until the middle of the day, and switch all of the hall lights on for a bit. That's what I did a couple of times in order to get photo opportunities.

Houlden
Unter Peon

Postby Houlden » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:29 pm

A little bit late, but hey...

But just wanted to say had a wicked time, guy I brought along was a Westlan newbie and he loved it too, we'll be making an appearance at the next one! :) Didn't get the chance to play in as many tournys this time around as I left my debit card at Tescos and had to shoot up to Exeter for an hour or so on the Saturday, that stressed me right out!
i5 3570k - Hyper 212 Evo - ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance - 2x SLI MSI 760 - 128GB Samsung 830 - 1TB WD Red

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Houlden wrote:A little bit late, but hey...

But just wanted to say had a wicked time, guy I brought along was a Westlan newbie and he loved it too, we'll be making an appearance at the next one! :) Didn't get the chance to play in as many tournys this time around as I left my debit card at Tescos and had to shoot up to Exeter for an hour or so on the Saturday, that stressed me right out!

did you get your game back?

Return to “Saltlan 28”