19:00 17th - 17:00 19th February 2012
Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Re: post lan

Postby Freelance » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:58 pm

That's the thing, assuming I'm updated it usually works well enough for me. In this case it worked well enough that I could launch a game instantly and connect and play on a server, but was booted after a minute or so.

In the big scheme of things, it's probably better trying to wrangle online mode so it works well though, to avoid different versions and people who didn't update, which is the entire reason steam exists.

Really what steam needs is better communication with the user to tell them what the hell is going on. I think 99% of the problem with offline mode and people being out of date is that steam doesn't clearly tell them what the current state is and what's needed to get it to work offline - make a few changes to the UI and labels and I think a lot of complaints will disappear, the one exception being purely single-player games.
I adblock smilies.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Well for the steam auto update clusterfuck there is always this program which you could force on people. http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/sho ... ?t=1769942

It basically switches all available games to not update. When the LAN's over just run it again and your back in business.

Only one downer to it:

If you launch a game, sadly Steam turns auto-updates for that specific game back on. Without running a background process, this functionality would be hard to get around. To go this far I feel would be messing too much with the original program, and the last thing I'd want to do is raise Valve's ire.

But hey, if you want to play a game you would need it updated either way else it won't launch. Overall it would stop all the massive download's on a game hardly anyone actually played.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:26 pm

Freelance wrote:One thing I found when I went into offline mode and tried to connect to a lan server was that I was kicked by VAC (I can't remember the exact error, and no I wasn't cheating), so it might be worth bearing in mind to disable that for servers running on the lan.

Probably because all of the servers were not running in LAN mode. We could run them in LAN mode, but that disables VAC and we had an issue a few years ago with certain people using aimbots and wallhacks while playing, which although may have been fun for them, spoiled the fun for everyone else. So now VAC stays on, and it uses barely any extra bandwiches.

Drakey
bunghole

Postby Drakey » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 am

Dame you just cant get way from cheaters. internet or a small lan

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 pm

you can totally get around cheats on a small LAN, just disconnect them from the network for being douchebags.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:30 am

Also we would never run a TF2 server without VAC enabled.
The Srcds needs a VAC Connection in order to download the item tables for players.

*Edit*
lol @ the cat

Return to “Saltlan 26”