First Lan

19:00 17th - 17:00 19th February 2012
Jimbojoy
n00b

First Lan

Postby Jimbojoy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm thinking of coming to my first south-west LAN!

:D

I'm from the South East and have LAN'd there regularly before....

.....only difference is, I've only ever done it on console :shock:.

Please don't rage at me below, but I just never really got personally into PC online*, other than TrackMania Nations, and AoE lulz. I was wondering if at the next LAN (which is in February?) there could be some scope for having a small console LAN?

Console LANs bring in your hardcore gamer, looking to have some fun, and prove sticks can be half as good as a mouse. MLG is as good an example you'll find, the demand for a similar system in the UK is growing, and we need to support this, if we ever want to have a good mix of LANing/eSports.

Let me know below (or troll my pants off.)

*Doesn't mean I don't acknowledge the amount of enjoyment other guys get from it, just it's naawt my thing.
Anyone fancy playing a ridiculously absorbing browser game? :P

My Kernel doesn't make Kentucky Fried Chicken :(

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Re: First Lan

Postby xconspirisist » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Well let me be the first of many to welcome you to the forums, always great to see new faces around here :)

You are more than welcome to come along to the next event, but I must warn you that "we" really don't play console games. We've nothing against them - although there is nothing like a good old PC vs Console debate, we're just mostly a PC bunch. I don't want to to travel all that way expecting a bunch of people to sit down on bean bags and play super mario galaxy with you!

If you can get a few buddies together that want to play consoles, we can find an area of the hall for you, to use our projector :)

Jimbojoy
n00b

Postby Jimbojoy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:44 pm

xconspirisist wrote:Well let me be the first of many to welcome you to the forums, always great to see new faces around here :)

Hooray! :P

You are more than welcome to come along to the next event, but I must warn you that "we" really don't play console games. We've nothing against them - although there is nothing like a good old PC vs Console debate, we're just mostly a PC bunch. I don't want to to travel all that way expecting a bunch of people to sit down on bean bags and play super mario galaxy with you!

Quite - SMG has got to be the ultimate test of endurance, and I quite understand PC users sticking to what they like etc.

If you can get a few buddies together that want to play consoles, we can find an area of the hall for you, to use our projector :)

Yeah, that would be brilliant. For a proper time, I'd try and get at least 4 people together, although that could go up to eight if I can get my friends to lug N64's and PS3's around. Would there be enough space for this? What would be the max you'd be happy/comfortable with? xD

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:48 pm

as long as its not a 64 player lan we should have plenty of space :)

although we might need to use the projector for tornis/a movie etc.. so it won't be exclusive access!

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm up for some console lan-age. Would be a welcome change altho i don't specifically have a console myself, i'm willing to jump in and be a meatshield :D

Also welcome!
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Vega
1337 Krew

Postby Vega » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 am

Greetings,

I'd be up for some console gaming, so long as its Xbox gaming, SNES... or Pokemon blue/red on GBC :D

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:16 am

I assume the LAN connectivity would 'just work' if a bunch of people brought their toy boxes? It's already sorted out to allow for the correct ports, etc?

You've got a similar problem as the PC though, sorting out games in common to play.
I adblock smilies.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:16 am

TheMightyXorn! wrote:SNES

Xorn! You just made me bid on a SNES! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230698490382? ... 1426.l2649

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:33 am

Do consoles just work across LAN? I thought they had to be able to connect to their respective master servers too, the same way Steam needs to connect to its master servers in order for you to launch games over LAN (unless you're in offline mode).

Jimbojoy
n00b

Postby Jimbojoy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:27 pm

TheMightyXorn! wrote:Greetings,

I'd be up for some console gaming, so long as its Xbox gaming, SNES... or Pokemon blue/red on GBC :D

Excellent. Unfortunately, out of the 7th Gen Consoles PS3 is just plain easier to LAN with. Not getting into a massive debate over XboxLive vs PSN, but it's so painless with Sony Cables that that's what it'll have to be :)

Very Tempting to have a SNES sesh, although it could potentially be a toss up between who collectively has more N64's or SNES's - I really can't remember the max you can have on each :(

If anyone wants to bring a Gameboy, I'd like to see them speed run it in 48 hrs (Y)

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:32 pm

360's work just fine on a LAN network. It's called system link. :)

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:02 pm

I think the last time a PS3 was taken to westlan was 2010, and that was me because we had it set up on the projector with a couple of move's playing Time Crisis. Although we couldn't get sound so it was abandoned pretty quickly and people stuck to the superior LAN gaming platform which is the PC. :)

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:28 pm

What's a "sony cable"?
I adblock smilies.

Jimbojoy
n00b

Postby Jimbojoy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Merson wrote:360's work just fine on a LAN network. It's called system link. :)

Yeah, but in the past I've known of problems occuring for different types of xbox (Slim, Old, and even the elite/arcade). Seems to either drop people, or not allow connectivity in some cases. It's perhaps better to do it with the PS3, as with one cable to each system, you can be good to go.

Freelance wrote:What's a "sony cable"?

A cable made by Sony :) I can't even remember the name of it now, it's in my garage. I'll have to look up the specs and make sure we have 4. ethernet's will be just as well :D

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/ ... 97113.html

will outline some ways to LAN on PS3

Vega
1337 Krew

Postby Vega » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:26 am

xconspirisist wrote:
TheMightyXorn! wrote:SNES

Xorn! You just made me bid on a SNES! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230698490382? ... 1426.l2649

haha nice... if you win, bring it to the next lan :D

i'll dig out f-zero and mario kart

Return to “Saltlan 26”