Room for my full rig?

19:00 17th - 17:00 19th February 2012
Jani
Swearing Admin

Re: Room for my full rig?

Postby Jani » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:39 am

Don't get a Raptor, get the Caviar Black 2TB. It's almost 2.5 times bigger, and significantly cheaper with almost the same performance.

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 am

Jani is right - if you want speed go SSD, if you want space go for the 2Tb - just don't get a raptor. It's the worst of both worlds. My machine currently has a VelociRaptor in it, it's great for a few years ago.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:25 am

Yup, even a 5400 RPM 2Tb drive should be able to keep up with sequential transfer speeds. And that's all you want from a mass storage drive.
The raptor doesn't make any sense in a world with SSD. For that money you could almost get a 256gb SSD
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Gooseman wrote:
opus wrote:LOL, 18lbs in a week through diet alone? BULL SHIT!

Just admit it goose, you don't like the sight of your own feet and the idea of being able to fit into an economy class seat on a plane terrifies you!

ask excal, its possible i was on the cambridge diet. but i couldnt really cope without eating

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You know that's what dieting is don't you?! Not eating so much shit, so your body needs to burn off all that excess fat.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 pm

The problem is, that 18lbs in 1 week is possible, but completely unsustainable. The week after your dramatic weight loss you would need to binge to replenish the vitamins, minerals and allsorted things that you've been starving yourself of.

It's very easy for a layman to stand by and say that loosing weight is easy. "Just eat less", "Just do more exercise". Well no shit, sherlock. Everyone has an achilles heel, something about themselves which they find difficult to change: depressed people; "Just be happy". Shy people: "Just make conversation", poor people: "Just spend less".

Even though Gooseman is a very special kind of special, he deserves a modicum of respect for when he once lost a lot of weight. Good on you.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Wishy wrote:Yup, even a 5400 RPM 2Tb drive should be able to keep up with sequential transfer speeds. And that's all you want from a mass storage drive.
The raptor doesn't make any sense in a world with SSD. For that money you could almost get a 256gb SSD

You are completely right. But i don't need 2Tb as i have one already. Maybe just a 1Tb for games then.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Yup, that sounds sensible.

The crucial adrenalin SSD's look like the might be good for this sort of thing actually, if you have a 1tb for games, then hopefully your common games will end up on the cache. They include software, but the higher end intel chipsets also include this tech. You probably want to check the software though and check this configuration is possible.

While I'm generally a pro-amd person, the bulldozer processors aren't great, the older phenoms can offer better performance at a lower price, and the low end sandy bridge processors compete favorably in games.
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:38 pm

The Phenom IIs are AM2+ and not AM3+. The bulldozer core is better at quad speeds than 6x or 8x. I'm looking the Corsair SSD as it generally has a better read/write speed compared with the others in the similar price range, especially for 90Gb which i feel maybe be the best option as a OS drive. Plus you get their lifetime warrantee as with most of the manufacturers these days.

The problem with going for intel is mainly price. The boards are more expensive, the ram is more. I'm on a budget here :) and i've already got the mobo :D
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Return to “Saltlan 26”