Anybody fancy a challange of trying to fix a broken HD? :p

19:00 4th - 17:00 6th November 2011
legmog
BIFF

Anybody fancy a challange of trying to fix a broken HD? :p

Postby legmog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Oy Oy people.

An external Hard Drive of mine has recently rather stubbornly decided it no longer wishes to work.
I have taken it to a few friends + PC world, all of whom have been stumped for a solution as to how to get it back working again ^^.

So I thought I'd bring it along to the LAN ^^
Anyone who might be so kind enough to fancy pitting their skill against the little b@sterd ^^, come track 'Legmog' down :D

Rumour has it, whoever is able to fix the Hard Drive, will become king of England! :D

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Re: Anybody fancy a challange of trying to fix a broken HD?

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Bring it along. If the interface board is kaput than that will be no problem to fix (ie, the disk still spins). Otherwise, you are probably shit out of luck! Hope those backups are up to date!

legmog
BIFF

Postby legmog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:23 pm

Haha, that's the 'ass' thing.... This Hard Drive WAS the backup.
All my PC's information safely stored and backed up on it, then came the time when I decided to do a complete system restore / reinstall windows / wipe everything thinga'majig on the PC.
After which, said process was complete, I went to plug in the HD (which I hadn't touched for many months, assuming everything was well) and then the damn thing wasn't playing ball >.<
A thus proceeded to rise from my chair, take a few steps forward Darth Vader style and shout 'NnOooOoOooOoOooO!!!!!'

:p

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Stick it in a plastic bag, put it in the freezer for a while. If starts working again, get all your data off it.

As for a permanent fix, I doubt it really, but would you really feel like your data was restored on a hard drive fixed by some weird hack? It's a shame it's broken when it has, seeing as the price of spinning drives are going up for the best part of a year now.
I adblock smilies.

legmog
BIFF

Postby legmog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Yeah, I have another actually 'working' Hard Drive on stand by ^^, for if we do temporarily get the blighter working, we can transfer all the data off of it to the new one ASAP (or as close to ASAP as possible consider there's about a Terabyte worth of stuff in there ^^).
I think the point of a 'permanent fixture' has long since passed.... Once the data can be transfered to a new HD, I think I'll be sending this broken one off the Saint Peter, to be judged accordingly :D

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Have you worked out if its just the external drive interface which has gone, or the internal hard disk?
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

legmog
BIFF

Postby legmog » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Unfortunately I have no idea :(
Hopefully someone will be able to tell me that at the LAN ^^ (which of course is now only mere hours away!! :D )

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:02 pm

I'll be the fat guy with the big laptop that has too many lights on it, sitting at the end of a row of desks near the door. :) Prod me.

* arriving at 21:30

§hadow
BIFF

Postby §hadow » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:09 pm

If its not spinning then you could try a fue well placed knocks to free it up. Tho if you need another hard drive there is one on the halls roof :-) if you can get it :-)

ShaneC
1337 Krew

Postby ShaneC » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:15 pm

I have a sledge hammer, errr I mean technicians adjustment tool

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:04 pm

I find the best method is to dip the HDD in sulphuric acid, then set it on fire. This removes any dirt and grease from the hard drive platters which could be causing the drive to fail.
the above post is being sarcastic, please don't read it literally.

Return to “Saltlan 25”