Post LAN thread

19:00 13th - 17:00 15th August 2010
Jani
Swearing Admin

Post LAN thread

Postby Jani » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Nice to smaller LAN for a change, means a lot more people end up in the same game, Trackmania and Blur were brilliant, Opus once again fantastic organisation of a tournament which AlienX managed to win without even playing the third game, breakfast rolls again were good. Disappointed that nobody played LFS, didn't even plug my G25 in this LAN.

Merson's 3G dongle was a god send for our little group, helped us get Steam running when the internet was fucked. I suggest more people invest in these things or tethering apps for mobile phones etc, even an Edge data connection will be enough to get you onto Steam and some networks (I believe Orange and Three) can even get 3G/HSDPA here.

Thanks to AlienX for sorting out the hilarious hide & seek and gungame servers, they worked a charm and were great fun, you need to get the GG server on free for all instead of TDM though!

Didn't take many photos this LAN, the ones I did take though will be uploaded once I'm home and with a working net connection, although Neil has all of my photos from the last 5 LAN's and I believe he is sorting out the site gallery properly so the best of them will appear there soon :) also got some gameplay video of Warsow and CSS hide & seek which will appear on youtube soon :)

Overall a fun LAN, thanks to the staff once again and look forward to seeing you all in a couple of months, hopefully we'll have a full capacity LAN :D

Edit: mein photos :)

http://files.tehguy.net/index.php?fpp=10&did=3-7
Last edited by Jani on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Re: Post LAN thread

Postby Neomancer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Jani wrote:Merson's 3G dongle was a god send for our little group, helped us get Steam running when the internet was fucked. I suggest more people invest in these things or tethering apps for mobile phones etc, even an Edge data connection will be enough to get you onto Steam and some networks (I believe Orange and Three) can even get 3G/HSDPA here.

we have found out that its ecripse rinternets thats FUP'ing us into the ground.

i think we are going to try and get them to change ISP to one thats not so shit for the next lan :)

Crafty
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin

Postby Crafty » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:12 pm

yeah was my fav westlan that ive been too, was really busy with constant gaming and kudos to opus for arranging that tournament.

hide and seek was awesome and so was track mania, although one thing i would add is that next westlan tournament its better off being games that people know about and have played before and can practice on opposed to trying to find one that none of us have in order to "make it fair", for example my group tournament game on dawn of war was full of pr0's and i got super raped, if they've never played that game before il eat my own face.

thanks to the staff for the event and for the breakfast rolls,

crafty :D
dd8890 wrote:i have payed useing paypal it say's on it i have payed on the 5 nov £22.93 buy y is it on westlan saying that i am unpay

Excalibur
Unter Peon

Postby Excalibur » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:22 pm

Nice chilled out LANs, the smaller ones always tend to some of the best (despite hooning myself with Gimms a little too much on the Friday night!). Thanks to all the staff for running the thing. Great breaskfast rolls as always to compliments to the chef. Had some great games of COH over our side as well as a nice little run on Modern Warfare 2 on Saturday night. A shame we were plagued with steam issues this time around meaning a bit of an absence of CS:S (although gun game and hide and seek were a laugh) or L4D2 didnt get much of a lookin this time around. I'm hopefully around for November but to be confirmed.

See you all in a few months :)

Rich.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:43 pm

There needs to be an L4D/L4D2 tournament next time. And we didn't play ANY vanilla CSS, which would have been nice.

I like the idea of finding games which nobody has played before to do tournaments with but as Lee said there were people in DOW who had blatantly played it a lot before.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Jani wrote:Opus once again fantastic organisation of a tournament which AlienX managed to win without even playing the third game

I came first?! lol

I am really glad to hear that Hide n Seek and GunGame Turbo were big hits, i will surely be keeping these up to date with new modifications and addons for the next LAN's to come.

Blur was fantastic, loved that game from the moment i picked it up... So playing it with a load of friends was really cool.

I hope that whoever ate my sunday breakfast meal enjoyed it hehe :)

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Please get the chicken mod :D

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:34 pm

A good LAN chaps, sounds like everyone had a great time ;)

Techfreak-SSM
Phone-Monolith Admin
Battle.net: techfreakssm#2204
steamid: techfreak-ssm/techfreak2006

Postby Techfreak-SSM » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Another successful LAN, bring on the next one. :mrgreen:
And of course a big thanks to the staff whom without the hard work and dedication that goes into each lan, we would not have a local location for lan goodness.
Last edited by Techfreak-SSM on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Techfreak-SSM

LAN Projector Helper and Wiki Editor |
Website/blog

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:39 pm

Great LAN as usual. Way more social thanks to the two tournaments organized Opus and iMess. Not to mention the lower numbers certainly helped, would love a few more quiet ones in the future.

Yes there were some internet and steam trouble (Isn't there always? :)) But luckily the cause of the problem has been sourced and those who adopted 3G dongles at least freed some bandwidth for everyone else. (Seriously, buy a 1GB Three PAYG dongle. Everything works and its fast.)

The new CSS games were a laugh and should certainly be returned. In fact every game we played was fun, although the rts choice for Opus's tourney was more of a steamroll for those who haven't touched it compared to the fps which everyone knows how to play. Perhaps a fps tourney and an rts tourney for the next LAN? Trackmania got some deserved game time although we really do need to handicap Neil!

Finally the breakfast rolls were mentally delicious as usual.

Overall a brilliant LAN and looking forward to the next one.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Internet wise. Unfortunately the hall moved isp some time ago to eclipse evo. While it was always a light user package, they seem to have set it up so that as soon as we hit 2gb (Which is pretty quick) the net gets absolutely QOS'ed to death, especially non HTTP like steam.
I were up to 3:30 on friday night/sat mroning getting some routing sorted out so steam went over an openzone hotspot, and that seemed to have sorted out steam for the majority of saturday.

Plans for next lan:
Plead with the hall to get an ISP that fits us better.
Look at getting the router setup with a 3g card instead of wifi and continue to route steam this way. We need to work out how we're going to avoid getting the bandwidth eaten by updates. And while the staff had 3g cards, all of them are on contract and we're scared we'll go over the allowances. (Or in my case was a work one). If we're better prepared with a 7gb three prepay dongle i think we should hopefully be able to sort it.
Buy a 10 mile spool of fibre and run it over to mikes 50mbit virgin connection ;)
Last edited by Neomancer on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:27 am

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:13 am

Very nice Jani, I can't imagine how long it took to upload that 1080p video, the internet connection I am using atm (2mbps) fails miserably when trying to play it! I just switched it to 360p :) Do you happen to have any videos of normal CSS games from the LAN? (although there were very few, maybe some gungame matches?)

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Took 30 mins to upload that video off my home broadband, DivX Plus HD does wonders on compressing 1080p videos, that one was only 160mb or so. I do have another video of hide & seek to do but Sony Vegas is throwing a wobbly at the moment when I try to import it, will look at that later. Didn't get any videos of gungame unfortunately and as far as I know there was no 'normal' CSS played at the lan lol

I have an 8 minute video of Warsow gameplay (pretty much just AlienX owning everyone) to upload later, but it's slightly larger at 475mb so I'll set that one uploading tonight and post the link tomorrow morning.

Next LAN I'm going to try and get loads of in-game video and maybe get a mic set up to record sound from the players to make a short movie :)

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:14 pm

I'll make a new TM map then yeh?
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Return to “Saltlan 21”