Post LAN thread

19:00 21st - 17:00 23rd May 2010 Tickets £10
Jani
Swearing Admin

Re: Post LAN thread

Postby Jani » Mon May 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Me likey.

I take it this will be hosted locally rather than off site ?

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Mon May 24, 2010 3:12 pm

that looks nice and all with lovely the rounded corners, subtle colour scheme and i'm sure the css is nice and w3c compliant and all, but noone looks at the website during a lan, let alone checks it a few times a day to see when the next event happens. there may be the odd one, but this isn't a tournament for the i-series where there's a bit of investment on behalf of the players (and even then it's a struggle).

really, it's a lan in a village hall. go and yell at people. put a physical object in their environment they can look at
I adblock smilies.

SpuD
BIFF

Postby SpuD » Mon May 24, 2010 3:34 pm

projector it :P

Ralz
BIFF

Postby Ralz » Mon May 24, 2010 3:35 pm

xconspirisist wrote:This is an example schedule which is in the next version of the website.

Bacon sarnies served at 10am? :roll:
:lol:

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Mon May 24, 2010 3:41 pm

SpuD wrote:projector it :P

would work
I adblock smilies.

Ralz
BIFF

Postby Ralz » Mon May 24, 2010 3:49 pm

SpuD wrote:projector it :P

The only issue with that is that people play games on the projector, like LFS.

Maybe we could just get a white board (I can't imagine them being über expensive)?

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Mon May 24, 2010 3:53 pm

LFS can be minimised. The projector was used at SL19 for tournament organisation by Opus and in my opinion it worked extremely well.

Ralz
BIFF

Postby Ralz » Mon May 24, 2010 3:55 pm

I guess so, I was just under the impression that people would want it available to look at all the time, in which case using the projector could prove troublesome.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Mon May 24, 2010 3:57 pm

The projector isn't used 24/7 though, and at SL19 it was only really used for the Wii and LFS. At all other times it showed tournament info, and it was up for a good few hours before the tournaments started. Plus Opus went around with a netbook taking names beforehand so everyone knew roughly what was happening. It worked well.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Mon May 24, 2010 4:54 pm

At previous LANs, a schedule was posted.

The new site has a "LAN mode", which runs on a local webserver at the LAN and makes a miniumum amount of connections to a database (or runs completely offline) to cope with the non-existant bandwidth. Scheduled for release after DNF ;)

SpuD
BIFF

Postby SpuD » Mon May 24, 2010 4:55 pm

Multi projectors! had a couple at a few of the shinylans before iirc. Could have one for each wall plus one for the ceiling? and when there's no touyney info up I suggest random milkdrop visualisations hooked up to daft punk or something... because everyone should try epilepsy once :D

Ralz
BIFF

Postby Ralz » Mon May 24, 2010 5:08 pm

SpuD wrote:Multi projectors! had a couple at a few of the shinylans before iirc. Could have one for each wall plus one for the ceiling? and when there's no touyney info up I suggest random milkdrop visualisations hooked up to daft punk or something... because everyone should try epilepsy once :D

I'm not sure how large WestLAN's budget is, but projectors are expensive. And as much as I enjoy a bit of daft punk and epilepsy I doubt many people would appreciate music playing, especially with everyones different sleeping times.

I thought the way opus organised games etc. at sl19 was good, but it would be nice if a single person didn't have to put in all the effort he did.

But yeah, having the projector displaying game times etc. when it isn't being used for games is a good idea.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Ralz wrote:
xconspirisist wrote:This is an example schedule which is in the next version of the website.

Bacon sarnies served at 10am? :roll:
:lol:

if xcon had his way... 10,12,14.16 ;)

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Mon May 24, 2010 6:14 pm

Indeed, I request more frequent, personal bacon sarnies :mrgreen:

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Mon May 24, 2010 8:18 pm

The bacon sarnies are usually served about an hour after the Chef + associated monkeys (myself + Wishy) wake up, it's previously been around 10 to 11am. We all slept on a bit this event, apologies.

Opus has always been the one taking the lead on the tournaments. Others have tried in the past, but Opus does a superb job. When Opus is unable to attend, we should really get someone else to take lead on those - if only so Opus doesn't have to take all of his time at the event organising these things when he does attend.

Another projector can probably be sourced - we might be able to borrow another one. Tourny information doesn't really need to be a hi-def picture, so we might be able to acquire one on the cheap - where to put the other screen? By the kitchen door?

Return to “Saltlan 20”