Post LAN thread

19:00 21st - 17:00 23rd May 2010 Tickets £10
Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Re: Post LAN thread

Postby Merson » Mon May 24, 2010 8:22 pm

neon wrote:where to put the other screen? By the kitchen door?

You could stick a screen on/near the stage, shouldn't get in everyone's way and will be easily seen by everyone.

Crafty
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin

Postby Crafty » Mon May 24, 2010 8:37 pm

cheers to the staff for another good lan and for the bap :D

new site looks awesome, yeah i agree with the tourny stuff it needs to be fully announced. i looked around the hall a few times and saw people playing a few games (c&c3 for example) which i would have loved to join in and played but i didnt even know they were being played until it was too late :(

im gonna take a 3g dongle with me for next lan so steam doesnt screw me over again and yeah another projector facing the stage sounds like a good idea as it can be seen by all and a proper schedule for gaming so everyone knows what to have installed and have updated ready to go :wink:
dd8890 wrote:i have payed useing paypal it say's on it i have payed on the 5 nov £22.93 buy y is it on westlan saying that i am unpay

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Mon May 24, 2010 8:43 pm

I think most people don't have the balls to shout out that they are playing a game. It normally starts with a few people in their small groups starting to play, and other people only join if they spot them playing it. For example CSS on Saturday, nobody announced it was being played, and my group only noticed when Merson spotted it on a random monitor across the hall and told all of us.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Mon May 24, 2010 9:06 pm

neon wrote:Another projector can probably be sourced - we might be able to borrow another one. Tourny information doesn't really need to be a hi-def picture, so we might be able to acquire one on the cheap - where to put the other screen? By the kitchen door?

Not meaning to be needlessly lo-tech, but we do have a westlan whiteboard, its just a problem getting the stuff in the cars!
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Mon May 24, 2010 10:09 pm

neon wrote:Another projector can probably be sourced - we might be able to borrow another one. Tourny information doesn't really need to be a hi-def picture, so we might be able to acquire one on the cheap - where to put the other screen? By the kitchen door?

It might be a good idea to have it projecting where the queen is, using that sheet idea - attach the sheet to the wall (without taring the paint off somehow!) and project the torni information up there, running off a laptop or summit.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Mon May 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Well, tbh, 1 named person and a mic would work better. Then for the results, just do a screen cap.

For those that missed it, WinLan did a red vs blue. We are hoping to apply this to our lans, but most of the time ppl don't have the game installed or they are afk. Personally, I shouted out SupCom and C&C3 games, but no-one really responded. I can't help that.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Tue May 25, 2010 12:05 am

odd, i'd say supcom was the game of the lan. it's the game i remember most people playing. that and common-as-muck CSS. i think one thing bearing in mind is that not everyone is a strategy hoor, so if there's any vaguely serious tournament it needs a variety of games to get everyone interested
but most of the time ppl don't have the game installed or they are afk
both of which are solved by announcing the game and time in advance. if someone has any interest in playing the game and some self responsibility, they will have it installed beforehand and schedule their tesco trip around the game they want to play with people. yelling "there's a game of {something obscure} up" doesn't give people notice.
I adblock smilies.

Excalibur
Unter Peon

Postby Excalibur » Tue May 25, 2010 12:58 am

Overall an enjoyable weekend, got a nice bit of leaching done, a good poker game on the Saturday evening and caught up with a few peeps I rarely get to see. There were clearly some internet/network issues plaguing this LAN (we had had the same at Shiny in the past and its a bitch!) but is just one of those things that cant be helped. Due to a lot of games being owned/played through steam this obviously caused quite a few problems with getting large scale games up and running. However, the games that were played were all enjoyable.
I agree that someONE or somePEOPLE need to take charge of getting organised games started. Speaking from experience in this role it really isnt easy at all and Opus certainly has the best approach in making it work at WestLAN. However, as with this LAN, if he isnt around for all of it someone else needs to take up this role to keep things going, not neccasarily with a set rigid schedual, but at least act as an irritating sales type bellower constantly prodding people into games, getting on the stage and screaming that "X" game is about to start etc etc etc.

See you all in August, work permitting!

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Tue May 25, 2010 1:15 am

played some good games of cnc3, thanks to imess, and dickie for those :)

hl2dm was fun as well,

dispaointing though that my pc decided it didnt want to play most of the games, and in the end, had to use my lappy.

nice game of poker, nice bbq, and only just got the breakfast!

in general a nice relaxing lan for me for once, was nice to see people, and i slept very well for once.

cheers to mike, neil, mark, steve and alienx for running it.

hope to see you at augusts one

ps. im not gay, but thank you to all those that helped with my wind up aimed at my ex.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 am

Doesn't the hall have a PA system? There are big speakers dotted along both walls

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Tue May 25, 2010 10:10 am

yes its part of the really nice projector and screen we are not allowed to use because the cinema club people are a bunch of... lovely people

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Tue May 25, 2010 1:28 pm

Freelance wrote:
but most of the time ppl don't have the game installed or they are afk
both of which are solved by announcing the game and time in advance. if someone has any interest in playing the game and some self responsibility, they will have it installed beforehand and schedule their tesco trip around the game they want to play with people. yelling "there's a game of {something obscure} up" doesn't give people notice.

There's a Games Thread. You started it. Games were posted.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

CrazyMonk
BIFF

Postby CrazyMonk » Tue May 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone! Had a wicked weekend playing games and relaxing in the sunshine and leeching off users.

Just wondering if any knows where the photo's are of the weekend?

Ralz
BIFF

Postby Ralz » Tue May 25, 2010 2:53 pm

CrazyMonk wrote:Just wondering if any knows where the photo's are of the weekend?

Jani took a bunch of photo's and put them on his DC++ share, I expect he's also put them on his website. If not, I have a copy of them and could upload them to my site when I get home from work if people want them.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Tue May 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Neil was after them for this new website, there bring back the photo gallery's from the last few lans.

Return to “Saltlan 20”