Small request

19:00 21st - 17:00 23rd May 2010 Tickets £10
Jani
Swearing Admin

Small request

Postby Jani » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:20 pm

It is mission critical that I have my normal seat (in the corner by the steps) as I have two 24 inch monitors, lol

kaythanks

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Re: Small request

Postby AlienX » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:25 pm

I'll make sure we sit you in the chair cupboard.

Regards
WestLAN Team.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:30 pm

I'll stab you.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:01 am

Dear Jani,
Your normal placement in the midget cupboard has been rejected. You have been placed next to Gay Ian. Sorry for the inconvenience.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

catface
Unter Peon

Postby catface » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:56 am

i thought we weren't allowed multiple monitors unless they were vertically mounted cause otherwise everyone would start needing entire tables to themselves :<

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:52 am

Vertically mounted monitors would not be a problem, as they could stretch up to the roof :) Monitors that take a up a lot of room in a horizontal direction have been a problem in the past, where they "overflow" into the space of the person sitting next to you. Normally if the person next to you doesn't care, that's all good.

Obviously monitors take up power, having a bunch of old CRT's use up significantly more power, which would have caused issues. This is less of a problem now-a-days with flat panels, however the problem has popped up in a different place, with graphics cards and power supplies requiring oodles of power.

I can't speak for the WestLAN staff but this sort of thing really is common sense. If you don't piss off the people around you and you don't risk tripping the power, you can pretty much take what you want. Oh, one last thing; heaters and refrigerators are frowned upon.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:29 am

xconspirisist wrote:Obviously monitors take up power, having a bunch of old CRT's use up significantly more power, which would have caused issues. This is less of a problem now-a-days with flat panels, however the problem has popped up in a different place, with graphics cards and power supplies requiring oodles of power.

I can't speak for the WestLAN staff but this sort of thing really is common sense. If you don't piss off the people around you and you don't risk tripping the power, you can pretty much take what you want. Oh, one last thing; heaters and refrigerators are frowned upon.

The 24" TFT's are seeing today are using more or less the same amount of power as the 17" CRTs we used in yesteryears (Or at least that was the average), the only blessing is they don't degauss, which caused a ~2-3a spike.
Also, despite 650w psu's being the fashion, most of that is overspeccing (And the waters being muddied by chineese manufacturers selling 500w power supplies that simply won't provide this amount of power reliably), and your average machine still pulls the same power as they did a few years ago. CPU's have dropped in power consumption significantly, power supplies are more efficent, its just the graphics cards that have become monsters.

Anyway, we have sufficent power as long as there is no faulty kit around. As far as space is concerned, if you know the person sitting on the same desk as you, and they have no problems, then knock yourself out. If you don't, then make sure they're happy when you set up. (I guess this is getting more of a problem as all the screens are now widescreen and we're seeing 22-24" being fairly typical now, where as nobody would have a spine that could take 2 large CRTs and 2 17" TFTs weren't much of a problem space wise)

PS Jani you need to pay in advance to get your chosen seat
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 pm

Jani wrote:I'll stab you.

*hug*

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:35 pm

Wishy wrote:if you know the person sitting on the same desk as you, and they have no problems, then knock yourself out.

It will be me and nah i don't care, if we get the end of that table by the stairs it has a mini table where the big ass fan used to live and the other monitor can live there for the LAN.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:36 pm

i can't see a problem there but. if we needed access to that area to unplug stuff on the switches or anything we may have to ask you to move it for a little bit..

Noodleman
Unter Peon

Postby Noodleman » Fri May 07, 2010 6:58 pm

*whistles* :roll:
http://www.neon-lights.co.uk for all your lighting needs

SpuD
BIFF

Postby SpuD » Fri May 14, 2010 6:54 pm

I've just gotten used to three monitors, gonna suck losing my two new shiny things ;_;

MAN UP

Return to “Saltlan 20”