Post LAN thread

14th - 17:00 16th August 2009
opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Re: Post LAN thread

Postby opus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:39 pm

ILoveLamp wrote:insurgency was good, last game i expected to play there lol. could always have 5v5 of something like unreal 2004 as well as the deathmatch or could do COD4 as we rarely play much of that at the lans but most people have it as theres often a 15 minute game

I was thinking COD4, lots of cool different game modes for it, and most people have it/can get it.

ILoveLamp
BIFF

Postby ILoveLamp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:47 pm

seems like a plan, if we do play it next lan, for those of you who have just got it you can hack your levels ( http://www.d3scene.com/forum/call-duty- ... -hack.html) is one example :lol: in my opinion its worth it else you will just get owned with 50 cals and such

hardcore mode team deathmatch 5v5 on a small level like shipment would be cool and then maybe a larger game of HQ or S&D with normal mode on or something

also ill bring my G25 if i can the next times as well to set up on the projector just in case someone else doesnt, maybe we can even get 2 or 4 set up and have split screen lol

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:34 pm

HC TDM on Shipment?!

I was thinking more standard Domination on something like Backlot or Crash, bearing in mind I'll be splitting everyone into 4 teams, regardless of numbers I don't think Shipment would work out...

Also thinking of running a 1v1 of some description, probably something deathmatchy, UT2004/UT3/Quake3.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:03 pm

No split screen in LFS as far as I know :(

CrazyMonk
BIFF

Postby CrazyMonk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 am

I think COD4 would pretty cool as well maybe some TF2??

catface
Unter Peon

Postby catface » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:03 pm

CrazyMonk wrote:I think COD4 would pretty cool as well maybe some TF2??

us lot managed to play TF2 finally on saturday evening, thanks to massive fail steam updates we had to wait from the friday night for it to update properly.

it was massively fail trying to update it with just 8 of us. kane never got his completely updated at the lan.

CrazyMonk
BIFF

Postby CrazyMonk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:24 pm

us lot managed to play TF2 finally on saturday evening, thanks to massive fail steam updates we had to wait from the friday night for it to update properly.

it was massively fail trying to update it with just 8 of us. kane never got his completely updated at the lan.

Yer my whole steam crashed out in the end because of that update!! and thanks to some kind people I got L4D and Half-life deathmatch back, but not TF2 :(

Hopefully next time Steam won't decide to make update on the friday! Ill prob make sure next time my Steam logons on offline to stop something like that happening again.

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:08 pm

CrazyMonk wrote:Hopefully next time Steam won't decide to make update on the friday! Ill prob make sure next time my Steam logons on offline to stop something like that happening again.

In the seemingly quite likely event that Valve release another update on a Friday (they seem to like doing it). If you put steam into offline mode and others at the event don't - those that have the update will have a later version of the game, so you will probably have trouble joining their games or vice versa.

The best we can do would be to get one person to get the update (we can sort the net connection if needs be). Then copy the complete files from the steamapps folder - as per Valve recommendations. Far less bandwidth / time involved than if everyone updated individually.

If this happens again, it would be an idea to let the staff know - to see if they can assist with the problem. Whether that be making the steamapps folder easily available to others at the lan, or giving one person more of the internet connection for a while to get update so it can be shared to everyone else. If we don't know, we can't help :)

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Don't the servers then also need to update?

catface
Unter Peon

Postby catface » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Then copy the complete files from the steamapps folder - as per Valve recommendations. Far less bandwidth / time involved than if everyone updated individually.

Oddly, that didn't work. i copied over my updated tf2 gcf files to kane's computer and it just continued to update his after starting steam back up.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 pm

catface wrote:
Then copy the complete files from the steamapps folder - as per Valve recommendations. Far less bandwidth / time involved than if everyone updated individually.

Oddly, that didn't work. i copied over my updated tf2 gcf files to kane's computer and it just continued to update his after starting steam back up.

its valve's offical response to me asking if we can have a steam content server locally at the lan. apparently it should work... i think its lies personally.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 pm

the backup function is good too (one thing i learned: make one backup per game. if you put multiple games into one backup, you need licences for all the games to restore the backup)
I adblock smilies.

tomuk5
1337 Krew

Postby tomuk5 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:34 pm

i liked the cs: s tourny (mainly because we won) but we werent really taking it seriously, we just ran around with flash lights on and tk'ed accidentally (im sorry :P)

l4d was an amazing tourny :) even though it took ages to run it was very fun :)

a very good lan :)

CrazyMonk
BIFF

Postby CrazyMonk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:15 pm

So when's the next one? :D

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Saltlan 19 - 19:00 20th - 17:00 22th November 2009 - Budleigh Salterton

:)