Post LAN thread

14th - 17:00 16th August 2009
Jani
Swearing Admin

Post LAN thread

Postby Jani » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:04 pm

First of all: thankyou for another great lan!

Not so much luck for me this time around, arrived and set up and PC wouldn't boot, found out it was my 500GB HDD (which holds all my warez) had given up...and also the failure that is Merson forgot the power adapter for his G25 which I was so eager to play :(

Thankfully a handful of others also brought G25's so I had plenty of time to play :D

CSS tournament was an epic fail on our part, think the teams should be mixed up as having us load of noobs against a load of pro's isn't fun when we get steamrolled, lol

L4D not sure what happened...we raped at it last time and got raped this time, personally I blame it on Lee as we had Mike in his place last time

Baps...simply awesome however after a pizza, bap, and a bowl of cereal for breakfast I was too full for seconds :(

Having the tournament info on the projector is an awesome idea, especially since srcds and the in-game server browser is such a failure, I had endless problems with my server which I think I'm going to reinstall soon, I tried to change the map, it threw a segfault and then wouldn't restart and tried to bind to a completely different IP address :?

Got photos...will upload once I have had a bath

LFS tourney was good hope to do it again next time, but with the same advertising as the other tournaments got so more people play, had 9 people do laps and congrats to Fred (no friends) who won, Ralz who came second and myself who pulled a close third place.

No complaints this LAN to be honest...stage sleeping area is an awesome idea, although it's so bloody hot in the summer I ended up sleeping without my quilt for most of the nights.

Vega
1337 Krew

Re: Post LAN thread

Postby Vega » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Jani wrote:LFS tourney was good hope to do it again next time

was hardly a tournament though was it

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:19 pm

Glad you enjoyed

Any comments / complaints about the internet connection are welcome. I put a QOS box in this time round, and from my point of view everything seemed to work nicely.

Did people have steam problems after around 4pm saturday, which i tweaked the settings a little to be a bit more generous?

Steve
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:25 pm

The LAN was superb - I really enjoyed this one. Thanks to all the staff :)

Crafty
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin

Postby Crafty » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm

yeah was my favourite lan so far, so thanks to the staff and everyone :D

next sup com tourament needs a 20 min rush timer opus!!!111111 :P
dd8890 wrote:i have payed useing paypal it say's on it i have payed on the 5 nov £22.93 buy y is it on westlan saying that i am unpay

Androm
Unter Peon

Postby Androm » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Brilliant lan, thanks to the staff! :)
AKA Androm

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Wishy wrote:I put a QOS box in this time round, and from my point of view everything seemed to work nicely.

I know Jani had a problem downloading bzip onto his server, Which Neil said was QOS related. Perhaps the game servers people bring in could have the QOS removed for stuff like that?

Other then that the internet for me was fast enough to browse without hassle.

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Was good for me, barring a few, er, technical difficulties... Source is shit. Really, honestly a complete load of fucking arse. I wish Steam, and Source would just fucking die.

Apart from that though, it was great.

Neomancer
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:50 pm

opus wrote:Was good for me, barring a few, er, technical difficulties... Source is shit. Really, honestly a complete load of fucking arse. I wish Steam, and Source would just fucking die.

Apart from that though, it was great.

btw. you know your mug that you said you really should't forget.

we have it for ransom :)

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:58 pm

opus = ownage organiser of tournaments :D

QoS...I wasn't even aware that it was active until Neil told me...yes I had problems trying to install a package on my server but that turned out to be because the repository was fucked. The internet connection was pretty good, pages were actually loading etc, however I (and others) had a lot of trouble signing into MSN messenger :(

I didn't have any problems with Steam until Sunday morning when the network decided it didn't like me anymore...but some shouting and fiddling with cables sorted that soon enough.

Neomancer

Postby Neomancer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Yeh QOS was really good. stops that one user downloading the entire steam catalog ruining it for everyone!

Wishy

Postby Wishy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 pm

Merson wrote:
Wishy wrote:I put a QOS box in this time round, and from my point of view everything seemed to work nicely.

I know Jani had a problem downloading bzip onto his server, Which Neil said was QOS related. Perhaps the game servers people bring in could have the QOS removed for stuff like that?

Other then that the internet for me was fast enough to browse without hassle.

Janis problems were, in fact, related to the fact he was going to virgin media mirrors when he wasn't on virgin media any more.
Neil wanted QOS off to remove the possibility, which seemed reasonable enough.

If the servers don't get QOS'ed, then we may as well not bother doing any QOS - it only takes one client hammering the connection to make the internet very slow for all.

Wishy

Postby Wishy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:05 pm

opus wrote:Was good for me, barring a few, er, technical difficulties... Source is shit. Really, honestly a complete load of fucking arse. I wish Steam, and Source would just fucking die.

We should make westlan mugs with this written on

Neomancer

Postby Neomancer » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Wishy wrote:

We should make westlan mugs with this written on

they would have to be big mugs.... :)

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Fred FTW

Return to “Saltlan 18”