SL17: Post LAN thoughts

64 Places - Saltlan 17 - 19:00 5th - 7th June 2009
opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Re: SL17: Post LAN thoughts

Postby opus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:50 pm

Wait til someone suggests guitar hero and you hear "more than a feeling" about 300 times over 2 days.

I nearly killed a man that weekend.

ganey
Unter Peon
steamid: ganey_

Postby ganey » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:57 pm

most of them are dead now >..<
musta heard miss murder, holiday in cambodia, black magic woman and some others millions fo times now >..<

makes me want to curl up in a box and scream.
^_# Pi-Rate!

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:46 pm

My CSS in-game server browser has never worked at Westlan, on 2 different PC's and multiple reinstalls of various operating systems. I don't know why, but it just hasn't ever shown LAN servers in the browser for me. All other games work, even other Steam games like HL2DM etc, just not CSS.

Excalibur
Unter Peon

Postby Excalibur » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Well, what can I say?
I take my hat off to the staff this event. Bloody fantasic effort that paid off well.

My hat goes off to all of the staff, especially Opus! As tourny/announcement guy for ShinyLAN I know how incredibly difficult, time consuming and frustrating it is to drum up interest and execute tournies that have any structure to them at all and for Opus to have managed multiple tournies on all days that all went through and worked (aside from CSS due to random server issues) is simply amazing. Its even spurred me on to try and sort some out for ShinyLAN in August. Bloody well done mate.

Thumbs up on the chinese order and Sunday morning sarnies (despite not being able to partake in them on this occasion!) A great touch that requires more organisation that you might think. Thumbs up to Mike and Steve for this!

The dedicated sleeping area works well, espeically the matts down. It certainly takes the edge off of the wooden floor amd should certainly be repeated.

A few good games of poker this weekend, no problems at all with the position of WII console and games table, its out of the way and less intrusive for those wishing to sleep etc.

Was great that a bit more CS was played this time around, I used to play it A LOT in my younger years and its been an age since I lasted had a blast on it. A great shame Company of Heroes still lacks a following but C'est Le Vie!

Was great to catch up with some faces that I rarely get to see, unable to make August LAN due to a wedding I have to attend but will certainly see you all in November!

Gooseman, everyone has different sexual desires, yours and your young lady clearly seems to be sexual exibitionism. We have had to have words at ShinyLAN regarding your public "intimate moments" but to do it night and day in the main entrance to the venue next to the only toilets in the entire venue and where peoples relatives and parents might show up is both unwise and to be quite frank discusting to observe. We all enjoy spending time with our partners but please please please do it somewhere as private and out of thre way as possible so the staff dont get into trouble with any hall management that come in mid lan (which has been known) or any parents or relatives of the younger lanners. Not to mention all of us at the LAN being mentally scarred for life!

Once again, thanks for a fab lan guys, A+++++

Rich/Dickie/Excalibur

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:58 pm

Glad everyone enjoyed the event :) I thought it went pretty well.
Many thanks to Opus for a superb job organising the Tournaments!

We'll have a poke around and see what we can do to improve the internet connection, it was truely shocking for the entire event. Apologies for this.

AlienX wrote:p.s.
next time can we like have the music off on the wii? - srsly that got so annoying!

For a while we didn't have the right adapter to connect the audio into the projector, I found the right one in Beer's for-sale box. I have to admit, I did begin to wish I hadn't found it. Thanks to Beer all the same.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:04 am

Excalibur wrote:Gooseman, everyone has different sexual desires, yours and your young lady clearly seems to be sexual exibitionism. We have had to have words at ShinyLAN regarding your public "intimate moments" but to do it night and day in the main entrance to the venue next to the only toilets in the entire venue and where peoples relatives and parents might show up is both unwise and to be quite frank discusting to observe. We all enjoy spending time with our partners but please please please do it somewhere as private and out of thre way as possible so the staff dont get into trouble with any hall management that come in mid lan (which has been known) or any parents or relatives of the younger lanners. Not to mention all of us at the LAN being mentally scarred for life!

FUCKING LOL

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:58 am

right, as for me and emma in the hall, we DID NOT DO ANYTHING THIS LAN! i know it was known at shiny, but this lan we didnt do anything, we were just cuddling, as she was bored, and was getting annoyed with people. if you thought we were doing anything then your mind played tricks on you (i swear this is the truth, i wouldnt hide it if i had done somthing)

as for lan.

bloody brilliant, gotta be one of the best ive been too. i cant think of anything bad, really good games, though i didnt win anything :(

keep up the good work guys

cheese on toast
BIFF

Postby cheese on toast » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:40 am

opus wrote:Wait til someone suggests guitar hero and you hear "more than a feeling" about 300 times over 2 days.

I nearly killed a man that weekend.

Whoops.... lmao :P
Cheese on Toast ----------- hungry yet?

ILoveLamp
BIFF

Postby ILoveLamp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:37 am

Nice lan, the baps were the high point of the weekend :D

Nice with the wii set up it was fun playing even though i failed
sleeping area was good even though i didnt use it
THE TABLES AT THE END WERE AWESOME meant i had space for once lol
im not too big on tornaments but its good to have the option there, nice job opus
extra fridge was pretty good and as charlie labeled his milk CHARLIES GTFO it meant i knew which one to steal

next time i must play less sup com i played it from friday when i got there to sunday morning then didnt have energy to play the tornament lol

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:39 am

New version of boomblox is out, hopefully with a "Music off" option! I could have got it for this lan, but didn't want to offer a game i didn't know. Fiddling with stuff before the lan is a bad idea.

Gooseman, perhaps you could cuddle somewhere other than the main entrance hall... If lanners could get the wrong impression, so could a member of the public, parents or hall staff.

We've definately had the CS:S servers working fine in the past, i used them at the last lan and they appeared on the same list. Perhaps people have firewalls configured, which always cause trouble at the lan.
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:41 am

Goose, we don't want to know what you did or did not get up to, it was the perception more than anything. No wonder she was bored - who the fuck brings their girlfriend to a LAN party anyway? :/

(Leah and Rose are exempt, they're cool :))

ganey
Unter Peon

Postby ganey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:44 am

meh my ex woulda played games. she used to stay at my house and play left 4 dead for about 8 hours straight. eat, then play again. i could dissapear for a few hours and she wouldn't even notice lol!
^_# Pi-Rate!

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 am

xconspirisist wrote:Goose, we don't want to know what you did or did not get up to, it was the perception more than anything. No wonder she was bored - who the fuck brings their girlfriend to a LAN party anyway? :/

(Leah and Rose are exempt, they're cool :))

if i recall she only plays wow, not that i would know. apparently she was under strict instructions not to talk to me :(

mmm mmorpgs at a lan. how antisocial.

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:16 am

she also plays the sims but we couldnt get it to work on her mac.

and point taken steve, we just found it was the best place as it was cold, and neither of us liked the temperature in the main hall / sleeping area.

ganey
Unter Peon

Postby ganey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:34 pm

personally i thought it woulda have even made a bit more sense to go on the other side by the female toilets >..<
^_# Pi-Rate!

Return to “Saltlan 17”