SL17: Post LAN thoughts

64 Places - Saltlan 17 - 19:00 5th - 7th June 2009
Vega
1337 Krew

SL17: Post LAN thoughts

Postby Vega » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Personally I think this LAN was the best one ive attended so far i think. I sometimes go on about how no games were played but there was defiantly some good game held this weekend.

The tourneys proved to be a big hit this time too, shame the CSS servers behave them selfs though :P

Big big thanks to the staff for organising it!

Hope to see most of you next time :D

-Xorn

ShaneC
1337 Krew

Re: SL17: Post LAN thoughts

Postby ShaneC » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:03 pm

Agree, was one of the best lans. Those baps this morning were awesome, great job guys.

So good points

Baps :)
Lots of great games and tournaments
Wii was fun
beer fridge ftw!
sleeping area was great
lan was flawless as was the electrical supply, no downtime
Organisation was definitely top notch, bin bags labelled, network and power points all good etc, thanks guys, we appreciate it.

not so good points

Internet kept getting raped so was sometimes useless to get a quick patch, tbh not much you can do about it, people still think its ok to download games at the lan Oo
Had to walk past the gooseman getting fresh with mrs gooseman on the way to the toilet........I thought noodlemans stuff would put me off sex but oh man :D
It rained :)
Only 1 savage game

So this lan was definitely FTW, gg

Crafty
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin

Postby Crafty » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:37 pm

i thought it was brilliant, especially since i won a helicopter! which by the way ive just tested in the garden and its awesome!

thanks to the staff for a brilliant LAN, i especially liked the tournaments

oh and extra thanks to opus for his organising of games :D

Crafty / Lee
dd8890 wrote:i have payed useing paypal it say's on it i have payed on the 5 nov £22.93 buy y is it on westlan saying that i am unpay

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:38 pm

ShaneC wrote:Had to walk past the gooseman getting fresh with mrs gooseman on the way to the toilet........

My god you lived to tell the tale?

Have to agree with all those pro's and cons the Internet was next to useless for the entire lan but thats no doubt due to steam.

Loved the tourneys, and the choppa i won haven't seen so many people on CSS in a long time. The breakfast baps were also mega awesome.

So thanks to the staff (and opus for organizing the games) il see you all at the next lan.

ganey
Unter Peon
steamid: ganey_

Postby ganey » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:21 pm

was a good lan, the baps were awesome!

game organisation was good :D shame about the CSS servers, and UT not letting me install it until everyone had finished playing D:

I slept, not face down on the floor, for the first lan ever. feels good :P

was rather drunk friday night heh >..<
^_# Pi-Rate!

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:17 pm

I don't see why we had so much trouble with the internet this lan. We saw the same issues as you guys and it was throughly annoying, especially when steam insists on seeing the internet before it will let you play.

One thing we did notice was any online cames raped the connection something cronic, people kept playing.
Steam did plenty of self updating, and a steam update on friday night was unwanted.

We will look at QoS for the next lan, see if we can do anything to help. While its no extra hardware was required, we'd have had to break the internet for half an hour to get it working, which obviously would stop people playing in steam. Once its installed and in-line i suspect we can tweak settings without causing any issues.

Glad everybody enjoyed ourselves. The wii was supprisingly popular and will no doubt go to the next lan. We will try and get a better projector for the next lan (Main issue was the brightness, fine at night, but useless at night). Not sure i can take another boomblox torni, i can't get the noise out of my head!!!

What are peoples thoughts on the location of the projector? We're reluctant to cut into the stage as a sleeping area - this was worked well.
Also, did the crash mats on the stage help?

Slight annoyances for the staff:
Bottles of beer for recycling weren't emptied before they were put in the binbags. Some litterally half full. We have to put these in our cars to take to the bottlebank guys, and i stink of beer today
We spent an hour or so doing the bacon sarnies and half the plates were left in the kitchen for us to wash up.

Re gooseman, gooseman, please have the decency not to defile eachother in the main enterence hall. Thanks...
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

ganey
Unter Peon
steamid: ganey_

Postby ganey » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:39 pm

i think the location of the projecter was pretty good :D
wasnt in the way or anything and wasn't in a place to bother people trying to sleep.

as for the internet, it came to the point where it was easier to use my phone as a modem and d/c from the network just to do the darn steam update. Theres one every lan, i swear...
^_# Pi-Rate!

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:46 pm

Absolutely brilliant lan - It's probably one of the best. I loved the new little ideas - the WestLAN staff did a great job and it made things interesting.

Projector placement seemed fine, I didn't use stage sleeping, the baps were great, the servers falling over sucked, I'll bring an ESX server next time to compensate for any issues, but the tornaments worked great (first time ever!) gooseman getting his love on was beyond disterbing.

To improve for next time - get an announcement system working - (I am coding this into the new website actually) - it would go great on the projector for all to see.

Wishy

Postby Wishy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:53 pm

xconspirisist wrote:the servers falling over sucked, I'll bring an ESX server next time to compensate for any issues,
To improve for next time - get an announcement system working - (I am coding this into the new website actually) - it would go great on the projector for all to see.

Its a bit unclear if the issues were caused by vmware server 2 (Last time we used esx). It could simply be config issues. The main problem is its very very hard to test the game servers properly before the lan.
Perhaps we could have some people hop on a VPN before the lan and give things a decent test... Always a difficult one unfortunately :(

Annoucement wise, i think projector / whiteboard will help us.

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:08 pm

I certainly enjoyed myself, plenty of big games to be had, and I even learned something about supcom!

Huge thanks to AlienX who provided endless technical know-how and help with the CS:S servers, just a shame they wouldn't show on the browser.

A huge thanks also to those who participated in those big games and tournaments, it would've been a complete waste of everyone's time and effort if you'd all been a bunch of apathetic shitcocks!

Next time we'll test everything before we go and call out the tournaments, ze trains vill run on time ja!

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:10 pm

thanks guys, good to know you all had a good lan.

The CS server almost drove me mad. they are the same config's as last time and i even tried them on my system and they still didn't work :(
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Basically agree with everything that has been said above.

Wii, and placement of the Wii, was good and playing was good fun
Designated stage sleeping area was also good (although I didn't use it, a lot of people did and it cleared a fair bit of space in the hall)
Baps - simply awesome :D
The choppers as prizes are a great idea, and well fun to fly
Opus' organisation of the tournaments was top notch, thoroughly enjoyed the ones I competed in, and was surprised at our team which was pretty much Merson and Mike + 2, coming first in L4D :)
Bins all labelled up was good, I washed up everything I used (which wasn't much as I brought my own plate and bowl)
Like the idea of a second fridge for the drinks too, even if my milk didn't actually fit in it upright
Wasn't too pleased about someone eating one of my pizzas and not owning up to it...next time all my shit will be clearly labelled and if it happens again then I think discussions need to be had with the staff
Using the projector/etc to display game schedules is an awesome idea
Think the staff still need to set lights-off times in stone...as it seems pretty random

Also...

I think I left my spoon at the hall, possibly on that little table at the end of the desks, or maybe in the drying rack in the kitchen. If a staff member has found it can you please keep it for me until the next LAN? Cheers :lol:

Wishy

Postby Wishy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:19 pm

Jani wrote:Wasn't too pleased about someone eating one of my pizzas and not owning up to it...next time all my shit will be clearly labelled and if it happens again then I think discussions need to be had with the staff

Labelling does sound sensible. I don't know what further we can do I'm afraid, we can't guard the fridge.

Jani wrote:I think I left my spoon at the hall, possibly on that little table at the end of the desks, or maybe in the drying rack in the kitchen. If a staff member has found it can you please keep it for me until the next LAN? Cheers :lol:

Don't think we saw anything. There are a good number of random ones at the hall, nothing is matched.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:24 pm

defo a big kudos to opus for the game organisation.. seems to be considerably better at it than any of us have managed =]

as for the internet, it came to the point where it was easier to use my phone as a modem and d/c from the network just to do the darn steam update. Theres one every lan, i swear...

we think they wait till we are all at the lan before they release.. personal vendetta much?

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:31 pm

This LAN was great, loved it all - large varity of games played which was awesum

CSS Servers were a complete bastard, found out that steam has a scanning port range of about 27010 to 27020, shove the server in this range and they work fine.

opus wrote:Huge thanks to AlienX who provided endless technical know-how and help with the CS:S servers, just a shame they wouldn't show on the browser.

Any time :), u did a great job on the tournis.
LOVED the large css game, w0000t!

p.s.
next time can we like have the music off on the wii? - srsly that got so annoying!

Return to “Saltlan 17”