tournaments

64 Places 19:00 29th - 17:00 31st August 2008
Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Re: tournaments

Postby Merson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Fair enough, you get taped to your own car and get pushed down the biggest hill we can find.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 am

When I died early on playing quake 3 during a ctf game, I punched the desk so hard both my monitors jumped by about an inch! Got many odd looks :P

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Some people just take the game too seriously...

*runs off and hides*

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:27 am

I agree that prizes can often make people take things a little too seriously, small prizes for people who do well in big games are a better idea imo, that way you can just play for fun and if you happen to get something small at the end then it's an added bonus :)

also, I really like the idea of a 'knock off the bottom players' tournament, though CS:S would perhaps not be the fairest game to play it on, some maps definitely favour one side, and if the teams are ridiculously uneven better players could end up being knocked out early due to bad luck with their team choice.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:45 am

opus wrote:I agree that prizes can often make people take things a little too seriously, small prizes for people who do well in big games are a better idea imo, that way you can just play for fun and if you happen to get something small at the end then it's an added bonus :)

also, I really like the idea of a 'knock off the bottom players' tournament, though CS:S would perhaps not be the fairest game to play it on, some maps definitely favour one side, and if the teams are ridiculously uneven better players could end up being knocked out early due to bad luck with their team choice.

team balance would be on, and fixed teams.

i think the best thing to do is 2 rounds per map? although dunno if that would be too long unless its the 2 bottom people from both teams? or bottom 1 from both teams.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety

Postby xconspirisist » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:07 pm

Two rounds per map is wayyy too short. make it 4/5. Perhaps knock off the last player from both teams rather than the last two from the loosing team. Locked teams are bound to be unfair.

With 20 people playing 4/5 rounds per map, will mean you need 10 maps, rounds likely to last 3 minutes. That's 40 rounds overall, with an estimated play time of about 2 hours. Not bad.

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:13 am

2 rounds is way too short, the losing team from the first round won't even be able to buy a gun! 6 rounds minimum would allow everyone to have a stab at getting a few kills without having to rely on lucky glock headshots.

To promote teamwork you could also have it so only members of the losing team can be knocked out, would give more of an incentive to win the game as opposed to whoring frags.

xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:40 pm

6 rounds per map and the overage lan compliment means the tourni will last at least 3 hours... sure you want that? I'd kinda get bored of playing for that long!

no friends
Unter Peon

Postby no friends » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Tournements are bad mmkay.
[02:13] *** * Gooseman and points out that fred is a cock
[02:16] <no_friends> you'd be best at identifying them ;)
[02:16] <Gooseman> it does take one to know one
[02:16] <no_friends> you're the one who fucking said it..
[02:16] <Gooseman> i know
[02:17] <no_friends> .WALKED INTO THAT ONE

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:36 pm

Why not do 3 rounds. Then we can get high.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:46 pm

meah, tournaments never work anywoo, this thread is pretty much in vain :P

Silver_Talons
BIFF

Postby Silver_Talons » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 pm

I vote for a couple things. Firstly a solo Q3 touney. Just have a knockout with as many people in it as they wish to join ( Even if numbers are unven, let one go through to next round ).

Next, host a 5v5 css tourney, I think a little co-op tourney would be good. Just make it 15 rounds a side, 1 min 45 round time. Games will last around 45 mins & I can see maybe 6-8 teams depending on how many join. This should work out okay. 15 rounds a side means whatever map you play, the games are even. If you worry about who plays which side first, just knife to start.

I would vote a RTS game, But I got no idea what because it seems you got a bunch of random peeps who just own @ each RTS ( Or maybe that's just Imess in general :P ).

I would recomend 4 tourneys spanned over 2 days ( Saturday & sunday ). People like fun & relaxed games, sure... But give people a reason to play to promote gaming as this lan can severely lack it! Too many people coming & saying " Wow! DC++ Download!! "

Comments?

ez64
1337 Krew

Postby ez64 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:47 am

iMess wrote:Why not do 3 rounds. Then we can get high.

Dont forget to bring a towel!
In China DHCP leases YOU!
The Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference

I am the Stig!

ImageImage

xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Too many people coming & saying " Wow! DC++ Download!! "

It's not strictly a gaming lan, unlike multiplay :) We do other things too like eat pizza and watch films.

Silver_Talons
BIFF

Postby Silver_Talons » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:22 am

Multi-play is more of a business lan, with professional gaming opportunities & sponsors/promoting etc.

Our community lan has a lot of different things which is what I enjoy about it ( Even see the occasional N64 console hooked up or a poker game ). What i'm trying to say is I know some people ( Freelance for example ) have been disappointed with the amount of gaming going on within the lan. You know aswell as I do about how people split off into small groups & play. I'd like to see the lan as a whole come back together again like I remember. You gotta remember that 28 man ICTF on UT2004 a few years back, probably best game on UT2004 I ever played :p

So yeah... I'm trying to say perhaps arranging a couple tourneys who people are interested in will spark a little friendly competition, getting a little passion into the games & seeing where it goes from there. Screw prizes & all that malarky, I'd like to experience a little competitive play as a whole, not as a bunch of small pockets of people off on all sorts of games.

Return to “Saltlan 14”