Post-LAN thoughts.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Merson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:17 pm

10:30 Dimmed
12:30 fully out
The amount of screens still on will be ample light anyway for those still awake.
Also I've noticed people who want a "normal" nights sleep don't actually sleep on the stage or the hall, they go elsewhere.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:33 pm

Merson wrote:Also I've noticed people who want a "normal" nights sleep don't actually sleep on the stage or the hall, they go elsewhere.

yeh, as the staff are normally shattered, and hide in the backrooms etc.. some of us have work to goto monday morning :P

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:11 am

Merson wrote:12:30 fully out

Probably not a good idea on health and safety grounds.
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:15 am

yeh, faded down to the bottom of the dimmers would be good..

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:55 am

Neomancer wrote:yeh, faded down to the bottom of the dimmers would be good..

Sorry that's what i meant, just a level where you can get a decent nights sleep without being distracted by blinding lights

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:16 am

Washing up - personally after SL11, I washed up and dried EVERY plate that I used.

Lights out - yes, there are 2 sets of lights, the 'main' hall lights which are very bright and only have an on/off setting, and then the window lights, which can be dimmed.

People might still be turning up / setting up at 10pm, as they may have only finished work quite late (one example was Ricky), so that's probably not a good time for lights out.

With the exception of the staff (who don't sleep in the hall), and maybe a couple of others , between 1am and 3am seems the most popular time for going to sleep. So maybe main lights out at 11pm with window lights dimmed half way down, and then midnight window lights off completely? As said above, the sheer amount of light generated by monitors and case lighting is enough for people to see around well enough. All lights back on at 10am (most people wake up before then anyway, plus natural light is sufficient).

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:40 am

I think that everyone is trying to compensate for special circumstances. In regads to people still turning up on the friday at 22:30, they're late! Tough shit. I realize some people leave later from work etc, but hell, we're talking 1, maybe 2 people that turn up at that time of night. Jani and others are also just admitted that you can see perfectly from the amount of light generated from the computers and the dimmed hall lights.

Again, I think that dimming the lights is to account for people that would like a normal night's sleep. Another point to consider, is that the dimmed lights add a lot of ambiance and atmosphere to the room. Playing the the dark for those that stay up all night, is rad core :)

edit: Point 8. Add a fraglimit and map rotation (map voting would be grand, mani can do it) to the HL2DM server.

ez64
1337 Krew

Postby ez64 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:33 am

But 22:30 im usally still having snacks and chatting etc and then the gaming starts.
In China DHCP leases YOU!
The Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference

I am the Stig!

ImageImage

fridx
Unter Peon

Postby fridx » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:00 pm

Keeping the window lights on low is pretty good, I was still up at 6am, and its quite nice to be able to see where I'm stepping, so I don't tread on anyone that's sleeping.

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:20 pm

xconspirisist wrote:edit: Point 8. Add a fraglimit and map rotation (map voting would be grand, mani can do it) to the HL2DM server.

ya a frag limit used to be there. no idea what happend to it though.

All the game servers will be getting a full rebuild before the next LAN.
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:23 pm

Ah that's good then. I noticed that every time the TF2 server changed map, it crashed. Not sure if that one was being hosted by WL though.

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:24 pm

ya i would crash on both servers as well.
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:59 pm

The big DM was hosted on my Desktop
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

icey
BIFF

Postby icey » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Feel i should just add a thank you from me. thanks too the staff and everyone there was a brilliant LAN that one. i hope the next one gets as many people. that huge game of UT was insane tbh :D Generally some brilliant games played. Shame about the projector as has been said... and i didn't see any n64 playing either. one for next time tho i guess :)

i like the takeaway idea even tho we goto the pub.....fish and chips sounds like a good plan to me.

Also mike i've found the lost MP3 player. it was at home under a pile of pre-LAN mess. Thanks for helping to look for it tho :)

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:07 pm

It was good to see both you and rich again. Played some slow games and some fast games.. but i still kicked ya ass :)
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Return to “Saltlan 12”