Post-LAN thoughts.

Jani
Swearing Admin
Posts: 1946
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Jani » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:21 pm

I noticed that, it's a shame really, I think something like the latest episode of Lost should have been shown or something, that seemed to be the most watched video file at the LAN.

User avatar
Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer
Posts: 4288
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:17 pm
Location: Woking
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Wishy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:26 pm

janipewter wrote:I noticed that, it's a shame really, I think something like the latest episode of Lost should have been shown or something, that seemed to be the most watched video file at the LAN.


Assuming everybody is up to date with lost...
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

User avatar
Techfreak-SSM
Phone-Monolith Admin
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:21 pm
Battle.net: techfreakssm#2204
steamid: techfreak-ssm/techfreak2006
Location: Exeter, UK
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Techfreak-SSM » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 pm

Unfortunately the projector wasn't use as we only had a VGA input, thanks Phil for bringing it to the LAN the idea was sound.
Really good LAN I enjoyed myself throughly only snag was getting up this morning for work after sleep deprivation ,LOL. The Chinese food run was a really good idea and i hope it will be taking place at the next saltlan in June, i was glad to see some new face amongst the regulars.

Finally thanks to the staff for all their hard work as the lan wouldn't run so smoothly without them.

Hope to see everyone at the next lan and possibly a few at the shinylan in wincanton.
Techfreak-SSM

LAN Projector Helper and Wiki Editor |
Image
Website/blog

Jani
Swearing Admin
Posts: 1946
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:23 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Jani » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:40 pm

I would probably go to shinylan if it wasn't two and half times as far as westlan :(

User avatar
Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Posts: 1893
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:26 pm
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Merson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:13 am

janipewter wrote:Correction, that was Merson's, since he had a sore throat, a cough, and a cold :?

And fyi I didn't watch any porn at this LAN.

Ricky aka The-Cornish-Craker was watching porn all the time, i woke up on sunday with half my tissues gone :|

janipewter wrote:I would probably go to shinylan if it wasn't two and half times as far as westlan :(

Agreed, exeter is about the limit i would drive to.

Gooseman wrote:the projector wasnt used at all this lan!

At sl11 die hard was stuck on, no one really took much notice of it. Although it did crash half way through. The streaming live games was a good idea, setting up something like source tv would be great for the next lan.

User avatar
iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Posts: 4640
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:36 pm
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess
Location: Taunton

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby iMess » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Or, as i've mentioned before, BattleCast/have an observer in C&C3 and view face-offs that way. I don't mind doing that when i'm not losing to mike.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:32 pm
Location: Exeter
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby mikethegreek » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:12 pm

iMess wrote:Or, as i've mentioned before, BattleCast/have an observer in C&C3 and view face-offs that way. I don't mind doing that when i'm not losing to mike.



so never then :lol:
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

User avatar
xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Posts: 6182
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:04 pm
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist
Location: Hyrule. ▲
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby xconspirisist » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:24 pm

As I mentioned before, I loved this lan to bits. These points are nitpicks for the most. You said anything is helpful so, here are the points I'd like to make.

1. It's a shame we didn't have a projector, not a gripe at anyone in particular, but next time let's see if we can get a projector with decent converters/inputs.
2. I love the idea of the lights out policy, perhaps 22:30, lights off?
3. The kitchen and amount of washing up looked rather awful again, more punter-education needed.
4. Can people please pump their airbeds up prior to 22:30? It's the most annoying noise on the planet.
5. The chinkie was absolutely awesome. It shows real effort from the staff and, well, it was grand. I say pizza on Friday night and chinkie on Saturday night however.
6. A stickied thread on the forums listing prizes that were allocated, and perhaps a list of how to get prizes. It would be nice for everyone to know and I'm sure would go down well with the sponsers.
7. Don't ever stop organizing lans :)

User avatar
ez64
1337 Krew
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:10 pm
Location: Wouldnt you like to know
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby ez64 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:38 pm

perhaps 22:30, lights off?

22:30 Is when im eating ^&^ 12:00am is best

pump airbeds up prior to 22:30 sounds fair.
In China DHCP leases YOU!
The Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference

I am the Stig!

ImageImage

User avatar
Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer
Posts: 4288
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:17 pm
Location: Woking
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Wishy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:56 pm

xconspirisist wrote:3. The kitchen and amount of washing up looked rather awful again, more punter-education needed.

It was noticable better than last time, but yes, improvements could be made. Noticable comments. The grill has a fat drip tray. Please remove and clean after you cook saussages.
xconspirisist wrote:5. The chinkie was absolutely awesome. It shows real effort from the staff and, well, it was grand. I say pizza on Friday night and chinkie on Saturday night however.

If you've tasted exmouth pizza, you wouldn't ask
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 8:32 pm
Location: Exeter
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby mikethegreek » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:02 pm

xconspirisist wrote:As I mentioned before, I loved this lan to bits. These points are nitpicks for the most. You said anything is helpful so, here are the points I'd like to make.

1. It's a shame we didn't have a projector, not a gripe at anyone in particular, but next time let's see if we can get a projector with decent converters/inputs.
2. I love the idea of the lights out policy, perhaps 22:30, lights off?
3. The kitchen and amount of washing up looked rather awful again, more punter-education needed.
4. Can people please pump their airbeds up prior to 22:30? It's the most annoying noise on the planet.
5. The chinkie was absolutely awesome. It shows real effort from the staff and, well, it was grand. I say pizza on Friday night and chinkie on Saturday night however.
6. A stickied thread on the forums listing prizes that were allocated, and perhaps a list of how to get prizes. It would be nice for everyone to know and I'm sure would go down well with the sponsers.
7. Don't ever stop organizing lans :)



yay coments :)
1: ya no real idea why it dident gert used for films and such. it just dident come up realy. can prob have a vote on here about what to show.
2: yup good idea will sort some thing.
3: yes it was a shit hole again. spent ages each day doing dishes and cleaning up shit.
4: yes its a pain in the fucking ass. any ideas on how to stop ppl ?????
5: i will be doing it again. as for diffrent kinds of food. i dont think there is a good pizza place in the area and exeter wont deliver. maybe fish and chips??
6: will happen next time just the prizes and such happend very very last min. i only got them thursday night.
7: if ppl keep coming we wont :mrgreen:
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

User avatar
Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Posts: 1893
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:26 pm
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson
Location: Galway, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Merson » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 pm

Agreed with all of that, the prizes idea i liked, the games for prizes were random to say the least, you would get a lot more people playing if people knew there were prizes involved. If i knew hl2dm would bring a prize i would of stayed on as i was a close 2nd, also i wouldn't of done crowbar rushes :P

Gooseman
1337 Krew
Posts: 2529
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:41 pm
steamid: sgoosey
Location: Milton Keynes

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby Gooseman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:55 pm

22:30 lights out on stage, lights dimmed in hall

2am lights off in hall

User avatar
xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Posts: 6182
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:04 pm
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist
Location: Hyrule. ▲
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby xconspirisist » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:59 pm

I think 2:00 is too late. Turning the lights off is for people that want to get a normal night's sleep, 22:30 is a rather normal time to be thinking about sleep.

User avatar
ez64
1337 Krew
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:10 pm
Location: Wouldnt you like to know
Contact:

Re: Post-LAN thoughts.

Postby ez64 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:00 pm

10:30 is just when everything starts but 2am is way too late.

maybe 11:30 earliest.
In China DHCP leases YOU!
The Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference

I am the Stig!

ImageImage


Return to “Saltlan 12”