Getting to the lan, count the ways.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Getting to the lan, count the ways.

Postby xconspirisist » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:54 pm

Getting to this lan will be another mission, but even harder this time because I don't have a car.

Solution 1) Get a car before the lan. This is up to my parents, as it is their car. I never drive apart from when I borrow it for lans/over the summer.

Solution 2) Get a lift. I don't think anyone lives around Portsmouth still, but it's worth asking. Is anyone able to give me a lift?

Solution 3) Get a national express coach, and bring my rather massive case - stashed in the cargo hold of the coach, although it's rather hard to travel with.

Solution 4) Get the train and bring my laptop. I won't be able to play most games, but I will be able to show a presance.

JimmE
Unter Peon

Postby JimmE » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:42 pm

I can possibly come via portsmouth, it's a little out of the way but not too far off if you want to chip in for some petrol. It only adds about 50 mins and give me a driving break.

I can only take one extra in my (tiny) Ka as I won't be getting a bigger car before the LAN, so if you were planning on giving a lift to anyone else I'd not be able to take them too (i.e. The Sam or Althamon).

One possibility though is that I could come your way, pick up kit for two or three of you and you could still travel together on the coach or train.

It slightly depends on what time you're around on the Friday, as I'd planned to head in that direction either thursday evening or friday morning as I've got the day off - so perhaps if we do sort something out - taking your kit might work out better.

Anyway, if you're interested, we can sort out the finer points over MSN/PM. If not, no probs.

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:43 pm

i would offer a lift, but my space has already been filled

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:49 pm

Hired a car? or pinch ya 'rents?
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:55 pm

I doubt he'd want a lift off you anyway.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety

Postby xconspirisist » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:35 pm

You cannot hire a car until you have 3 year driving experience, I only have 2. I cannot take my parents car because I'm not insured and in the unlikely event of a crash, the lack of a car would be detremental to my parents work and insurance premium.

JimmE, thanks so very much for the offer, I'll take it up as a backup plan. I'm hoping to find a car this week, although if all truths be told, I think it's highly likely that I'll need that lift. If I let you know by Monday for a definate yes/no, would that be okay? As for times to leave - anytime is good for me, be it 7:00 in the morning or evening. Thanks again :)

In regards to The Sam, or althamon, I'm going to be brutal. Althamon can't go due to work, although The Sam hasn't showed much interest... Yet.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:31 pm

xconspirisist wrote:You cannot hire a car until you have 3 year driving experience, I only have 2. I cannot take my parents car because I'm not insured and in the unlikely event of a crash, the lack of a car would be detremental to my parents work and insurance premium.

Take a poke at http://www.dayinsure.com/ - I think it normally works out about 20 quid a day, (You'd only need Friday+Sunday) but do a quote.

Also, as for hire cars, some allow you to hire after 2 years. I looked into it as work tried to force me to use a hirecar for a long drive. As much as a 1.8TD would have been fun, I'd rather get 40p a mile for a 500m round trip in me 306.
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:39 pm

link stealer :P

£32 for the weekend i belive.... as i looked into borrowing the parents estate :)

The Sam
1337 Krew

Postby The Sam » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:51 pm

xconspirisist wrote:although The Sam hasn't showed much interest... Yet.
ahem, I shall produce exhibit A for the defense: infinite pasties thread. :)

Guardsmon
1337 Krew
steamid: guardsmon

Postby Guardsmon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:23 pm

sam - i think he wants a lift of you, not to know if you're going..... (ok if you have already go that then i'm sorry)
i7 3770K | Gigabyte H77N-WiFi | 2x4GB Samsung Green DDR1600 | ATI HD 7850 | Lian Li PC-Q11

no friends
Unter Peon

Postby no friends » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:04 pm

Wishy wrote:
xconspirisist wrote:You cannot hire a car until you have 3 year driving experience, I only have 2. I cannot take my parents car because I'm not insured and in the unlikely event of a crash, the lack of a car would be detremental to my parents work and insurance premium.

Take a poke at http://www.dayinsure.com/ - I think it normally works out about 20 quid a day, (You'd only need Friday+Sunday) but do a quote.

Also, as for hire cars, some allow you to hire after 2 years. I looked into it as work tried to force me to use a hirecar for a long drive. As much as a 1.8TD would have been fun, I'd rather get 40p a mile for a 500m round trip in me 306.

My brother often borrows our mothers car, if say for the weekend. Then they just ring up NFU (the insurers) and put him on for the weekend, It usually works out to about £12 a day in that way.

Might be worthing contacting your parents insurers to see if they do something similiar?
[02:13] *** * Gooseman and points out that fred is a cock
[02:16] <no_friends> you'd be best at identifying them ;)
[02:16] <Gooseman> it does take one to know one
[02:16] <no_friends> you're the one who fucking said it..
[02:16] <Gooseman> i know
[02:17] <no_friends> .WALKED INTO THAT ONE

xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:45 pm

The Sam cannot drive.

This day insurance all sounds very promising. :) I will look further into it.

JimmE
Unter Peon

Postby JimmE » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:58 am

IIf you do want to get short term insurance, it would probably work out cheaper to ring the company who currently insure the car for your parents just to add you to the policy for a the weekend. I've done this several times, it usually costs around £10 - £15, depending on the driving history of the policy holders / additional drivers.

Guardsmon
1337 Krew
steamid: guardsmon

Postby Guardsmon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:12 am

saying that, it was £42 for a weekend for me to be on my dad's 3 years back.
i7 3770K | Gigabyte H77N-WiFi | 2x4GB Samsung Green DDR1600 | ATI HD 7850 | Lian Li PC-Q11

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:14 pm

You have to be over 21 to do that don't you Jimme?

Return to “Saltlan 11”