Tournaments

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Tournaments

Postby AlienX » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:12 am

Well hello all people n staff

Last LAN with the Tournaments and the specific game times was horrible... no offence but i just dont feel it went to well..

So here is my idea:
Sure, we want people to play in Tournaments, more the gamers, better the tournament!!...

So, why not do this:
Create a online tourni signup form (thats also avil from the intranet on friday, and friday only) have a selection of games and get people to signup to the tournaments before the LAN... on the games have times and days that they will be played, and if its a team game like ONS then have a random team selection process too.

Prehaps add a notice saying something like: "If you do not have the game installed ready for the tournament time, you will automatically be disqualified".

I feel this is a good way to get them tournaments going!

Also ofc not everyone checks the forums, so not everyone will know about the signup but most people check their emails... So why not send a link out with the tournament signup page on the email u guys send out just before the LAN.

Your thoughts are very welcome.

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:37 am

the way you suggust might not work as well,

perhaps inorder to get people to signup for them have it as part of the internet activation for each person, as you have to do somthing on the intranet to get your internet, set it up on there that way everybody has to do it, otherwise no internet (for those people that play WoW, and need MSN they would def go on it!)

just another way to do it?

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:40 am

Well thats why i said about the intranet too, put it on that on friday....

Prehaps there could be a drop-down menu on the signin page for the internet access for tourni selection.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:54 am

I think this is bullshit. If people don't play in tournaments, it's normally because they don't want to. Some people don't want to be that competitive. For those that do want to play, tournament times are easy to find. The staff tend to go around telling people about games. Ignorance is hardly an excuse.

Adding a tournament signup form is just another formality that WestLAN can well do without. Half of the success of WestLAN is that it is so laid back. Do not fix things that are not broken.

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:49 am

the problem with using signups is ppl will sign up and ether just deside not to play or not have the game installed.

we will be aranging some big games like we did last lan and there will be a vote going up affter xmas for them.

they seemed to work well last lan (although they seemd to slow down at the end on the lan)
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

Blood
Unter Peon

Postby Blood » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:13 pm

Ive always thought that the big games worked better than tournaments. For various reasons like you will never get equal skill levels in picking teams at random and getting everyone available at the same time (not having game patched or installed).

Also its just about getting to know people, once you do you can ask them to play bfme2 (ie hell), RA2 (ie xcon , imess) etc. For your info im always up for a game of pretty much anything so come and ask or msg me on dc to get one going.

The best thing going from the last few lans has been the big games of utk4, pure carnage, in a gooood way :)

opus
Nuclear Submarine Admin

Postby opus » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:36 am

Blood wrote:Ive always thought that the big games worked better than tournaments.

this man speaks the truth, tournaments are a waste of time and effort 99% of the time.

people sign up and don't have the game installed, or they're watching 'big juicy round butts 5" when their game is scheduled, or they get matched up against someone good and cba... the list of complications goes on and on.

announce a big game at X o clock and if people wanna play they will, besides a game simply for the fun of it is normally far more entertaining than a tournament where winning is the only objective but has no reward.

Nitro
Unter Peon

Postby Nitro » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:35 pm

Yeah the big games of UT2004, CS:S etc are allot more fun for everyone to play than tournaments imo. this way everyone can get involved if they want too as not everyone likes competitive 1v1s and things like xcon said

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:43 pm

I tend to go around and ask what ppl wanna play. If nothing, then i suggest and ppl jump in and out when they want a laugh.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:31 pm

Looking at what people are playing, then joining into games sporadically is what WestLAN is all about :) From the previous comments, I think this is the general census of the members.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:40 pm

pfft just forget that i said anything...

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:45 pm

alien.. dont take it personally... its just how everyone seems to be, so many times its been tried but no-one really plays ball with it

tomuk5
1337 Krew

Postby tomuk5 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:28 pm

stop forcing your damn lan plan on me, il play when i want to play, and if it involves just playing CS:S/UT2K4 and BF2 for the whole event than i shall :)

Althamon
Unter Peon

Postby Althamon » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:31 am

I think that when it comes to playing games if you have a tournament structure obviously the people who eat, sleep and play the tournament game will come top. But it you have a massive game/s going on e.g. RA2 etc then people will join in as and when they feel like (as long as someone says a particular game is about to start) so they have the option to join in on the action if they so wish and the whole thing will be very relaxed
Ham and eggs... lifetime commitment for the pig, a days work for the chicken

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:48 am

Well not RA2 cos ppl get fed up of me pwning them, don't they x-con? ;)
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Return to “Saltlan 8”