GPU issues

Problems? We'll give um a shot
GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF
Origin ID: Cherry_killah
steamid: CherryKillah

GPU issues

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:39 pm

I need some serious help! Recently I bought myself an upgrade (I was meant to be getting a downgrade, and god damn it I wish I did now) so I got the R9 380 Asus strix card, and I had a few issues at the beginning with the card disconnecting itself (for reasons I can not explain to this very day and I searched all over other forums for an anwser) but they went away after I reinstalled windows. Now however I've been getting FPS drops in all games I play, I'm struggling to run TF2 sometimes (when there is a lot going on the FPS drops to 30fps and it's just awful!) No it's not the temps It runs at 50°C, I can (and sometimes have to) turn up the fan speed just to cool it down. Now I have noticed that my memory clock is turned up all the way and I can't change that either, I use the GPU Tweak II, and every time I change the memory clock and save the preset, it just goes back up to max. I just tried to run CS:GO to watch some evidence and It crashed my entire system but I didn't get a blue screen, It just went black and straight to reboot. But because I thought it was a fluke, I did it again, and the result was the same, It just crashed. But please I need some help with this.
*little update*
It just crashed whilst rebooting from crashing in CS:GO - this time I was just trying to play a normal game.
I like trains Image Quake 3 rape trains

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Re: GPU issues

Postby Freelance » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:37 pm

Monitor your PSU outputs using something like hwinfo, particularly the +12V line. That would be my bet. You mention you've done a reinstall so you should have a clean system, but do a malwarebytes scan as well just in case you've picked up anything weird.

Get it to log to file in the background before you do anything else and forget about it, and after some weirdness drop the resulting .csv into a spreadsheet, and make pretty graphs with each column you're interested in.
I adblock smilies.

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Drivers? Did you uninstall the old drivers fully?

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Yeah I uninstalled the old drivers fully, uninstalled the AMD Install manager, then the Catalyst controller, and the software that came with the card the GPU Tweak II. Today I have reinstalled it twice and it';s starting to get on my nerves because I'm getting these jitters on my monitors, just randomly whether i'm on my desktop, browser or in game, and the only thing I notice that's different is that whenever I install the (what supposed to be the Asus Catalyst controller) but it's actually AMD Install Manager, but it's not the crimson software, it's still the old catalyst controller, but also everytime I reinstall GPU Tweak II, the memory clock is instantly overclocking itself. Is that causing these issues?
I have also installed the hwinfo and had took a print screen before I reinstalled the catalyst control centre and the GPU Tweak II

But now after the third install of the catalyst control centre....sorry. AMD Install Manager that looks like a catalyst control centre and the GPU Tweak II, as soon as I create a new profile in the GPU Tweak II, the memory clock goes to max automatically even if the only thing I change is the fan speed. But it doesn't get picked up by the catalyst control....AMD Install Manager. I really need a fix because I don't want this card breaking down and me not being able to get it fixed because I'm not covered by the warranty due to stupid piece of crap software that I have no control over :x

If AMD GPUs were people, they would be children of divorce between rich parents COZ THEY HAVE SO MANY ISSUES! :x

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:09 pm

*Further update*
After changing a profile in GPU Tweak II the memory clock went back to max (1750 MHz), I was getting jitters on the screen, launched CS:GO and after a minute of playing it crashed my entire computer just like yesterday. After reboot I noticed that when I do not click anything in GPU Tweak II apart from the minimize icon, it seems that the memory clock seems to remain stock so as long as I never touch that piece of crap software from Asus it will be all fine right? :D WRONG!, now I launched CS:GO again and started getting jitters again, the memory clock went back to max even though I didn't even click on anything in that stupid GPU Tweak II software, but went back on it to see if the memory clock went back up and it did :O, so I think it's fair to say that it isn't software based, I'm going to run a malware scan now because I literally have no clue as to what else it can be.
Unless the solution is just to verify the integrity of game cache in CS:GO....coz that solves everything :lol:

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Fresh install.. alternatively test the gfx in another computer.

Possibly gpu fault.

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:46 pm

I was referring to the 12V which should be listed under your motherboard sensors, which should be the main read from the PSU. The reading you've got from the GPU sensors still looks good as it's within +/- 5%, but a lot of the time on dodgy hardware it'll work and read fine most of the time, but you need the logging to catch the weirdness when you're not staring at the sensors, i.e. when you get weirdness in the middle of a game or catching the last few seconds before a crash. Maybe that's not relevant for your current problems, but could be good to know.

All that said, I kind of agree with neo's comment. If it's not running at the stock speeds and you need to underclock it to be stable, and no other readings (temp, voltage) are outside where they should be, then it's probably faulty, go and get a replacement. You should be able to just install the hardware, install the drivers and have a happy system, without the need to get the manufacturers tweak utility or fiddle with settings.

In terms of driver cleaning my current tool is Display Driver Uninstaller/DDU if you're paranoid about the drivers themselves not doing it properly.
Download it and fresh drivers, disable your internet, unpack it, run it, let it reboot into safe mode and stop windows update lookups, let it do it's business, reboot into normal mode, install your drivers, reboot, run DDU and re-enable the windows update lookups and turn on your internet again.
I adblock smilies.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:56 pm

Just finished running a malware scan, it found 2 pieces of malware, got rid of them, rebooted, the error still persists. As soon as I get one jitter, or should I say as soon as the card memory overclocks itself I get a jitter. But ok I will test in in a different computer see if it's the card, and then I will try that DDU, ultimately I will get a replacement, I just don't know if I will get one in time for LAN :/ but thank you very much for your help! :)

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Have you tried using it just without Asus drivers/manager but using Crimson only [note; should only be Radeon Crimson installed]? Also try fail/safe in BIOS as its possible any previous clocking in CPU BIOS is having a negative effect on the card, forcing max mem speeds. Short of physically taking the card out and making sure any onboard gpu is disabled, I can't think of anything other than requesting a refund!

Edit: Don't use Asus GPU Tweak - seems to be shit!
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:42 pm

cherrykillah wrote: But ok I will test in in a different computer see if it's the card

Just found out my spare computer's PSU doesn't have an 6+2pin so I can't plug in the GPU, and if I were to switch the PSU in my main computer to my old computer, the motherboard in my old computer has a 4pin cpu and the PSU from my main only has an 8pin cpu :) so that idea just went out the window, and iMess what I meant by asus driver manager is this Image I don't have it anymore, I just have the standard, which is weird because the CD with drivers on it installs the asus version and then updates to the amd, I don't know, but I don't know what that fail/safe in BIOS is but do I really need to try that? I never touched anything in bios either, but i'm just really close to crying and giving up on this bs :'(

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:01 pm

iMess wrote:Have you tried using it just without Asus drivers/manager but using Crimson only [note; should only be Radeon Crimson installed]? Also try fail/safe in BIOS as its possible any previous clocking in CPU BIOS is having a negative effect on the card, forcing max mem speeds. Short of physically taking the card out and making sure any onboard gpu is disabled, I can't think of anything other than requesting a refund!

Edit: Don't use Asus GPU Tweak - seems to be shit!

This, for as long as I can remember I've just used the stock AMD/nvidia drivers (or other non-OEM driver) if I can.

Also might be worth checking the speeds against what is specified on ASUS's website for your model, and what AMD spec your card at (look it up on wikipedia) to see if it's how it should be.

If you're really paranoid I'd wonder if you got a second hand/return card by mistake (or "mistake") that someone screwed up the overclocking on. What state did you get it in when it was delivered? all the seals/stickers intact? Some stores open up stock to check it apparently (trying to be helpful I'd guess), but they should leave a sticker to say they did so. In my book everything bought as new should be virgin untouched, as from the manufacturer.
This is why I buy stuff from amazon now, as it's just a stock item to them among millions so they don't treat it specially, and their easy returns.
I adblock smilies.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Freelance wrote: I've just used the stock AMD/nvidia drivers

That's all I use too unless you're on about GPU Tweak II, but the only reason I used it was because It came with the card and it was a way to control the card, like fan speeds, and performance downgrade to save power, and 0dB gaming. Never the less according to wikipedia (because the asus website only has a couple of specifications about this card, of which most are just pure advertisement like it max res is 4k!! YEAH! - no) this card's memory clock should 5700, but in reality it's 7000, and Freelance no it was brand new, like you said virgin untouched state new :lol: I got this from CCL and when I opened it all the stickers aseals were there, the card was in a non-static bag and the sellotape was never pealed or anything.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:04 pm

HA! I managed to catch the jitters (not that it was a difficult task) this was in a browser so it wasn't that bad, but if I got these in counter strike it would crash my system.
https://youtu.be/ywrrhDkp2Q0

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:27 pm

That's fucked, send it back. At this point you've done enough to show it's not working as it should, and you know how to describe triggering the fault if CCL want to test it themselves. Infant mortality in electronics sucks.
I adblock smilies.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:31 pm

Freelance wrote:That's fucked
see I wasn't sure :lol: But seriously thank you very much for all the help guys! :D gonna call CCL first thing tomorrow

Return to “Tech Advice”