Help me with this build :(

Problems? We'll give um a shot
GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF
Origin ID: Cherry_killah
steamid: CherryKillah

Help me with this build :(

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:42 pm

For the love of God, can someone please tell me the difference between FM2+ and AM3+, because I'm gonna be getting a new build (to play only a handful of games, TF2, Sims 4, that's all that I can think of right now) but also do basic work stuff, so word, powerpoint ..... even publisher not that it's relevant :P. And I have 2 contestants. In the right corner, we have AMD FX 4300 which is the AM3+ socket (more £££). And the in the left corner we have AMD Athlon X4 860K which is the FM2+ (less £££). I went on CPU boss, the X4 860k is apparently better, but friend keeps telling me I should go with the AM3+ socket motherboard, because apparently they're better and I have no clue as to why, so please, someone help me :'( I need to start ordering the parts so they come before the Salt 38 so I can put it together at salt 38, and I know that it's still 102 days, but this time flows by, so quick, it's unreal, plus I have college work and actual work (that will pay for this build). I just need this to be a little LAN machine. :)
I like trains Image Quake 3 rape trains

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Re: Help me with this build :(

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:46 pm

Oh and does anybody know of like the smallest mATX case available that's relatively cheap? I found this case
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H ... _i=desktop

but apparently it's a mini ITX case, even though the picture has got a freaking mATX mobo installed in it??!?!?!?!?! So I don't even know what to believe now :P I was just wondering if anyone could help me, I just want to find a small case that fits a mATX mobo, but still says ''Hey! pick me up with no problem, then put me in the boot of your car and take up almost as much space as a bag of shopping!'' :D

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Post every component you have so far, it will be easier to help with an idea of a full build.

To start with that case on amazon is Mini-ITX it won't fit a microATX motherboard in it, although it does look like it has one installed in the picture. I wouldn't risk it though, looks awfully cramped with next to none direct airflow inwards. Something like this will work: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermalt ... 30-200mm-n
Last edited by Merson on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:14 pm

right so the build looks like this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6hD6wP and with AM3+ I would just replace the Athlon for a FX 4300 and the mobo for Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 but

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin

Postby bloodtobleed » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:33 pm

Not sure how the CPU compares without looking but maybe consider Mike's CPU & MoBo for sale in the Trading Post to save a bit of money.
The only issue with this is that the MoBo is ATX instead of mATX.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:29 am

well I kind of can't anymore, it has to be an mATX now.....kind of bought the case and the psu and the tx3 evo :P but now I'm just gonna save up for the ram, cpu and mobo, but it would be great if someone could tell me which to go, and I'm not fussed about the cpu coz they're the same price and pretty close performance wise, but it's just the mobo now. I'm so worried about picking the wrong one :(

F1R3FLYY
n00b
Origin ID: F1R3FLYYY
Battle.net: BashfulBrit
steamid: Bashful_Brit

Postby F1R3FLYY » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 am

FM2 Seems to be AMD based processors from what I've been reading, not 100% though, just been skimming through things for you.

AM3+ seems like it might be the way to go from my readings, however you might want to look at a different Mobo if you do go that route since the AM3+ mobo you selected looks like it supports up to 1333Mhz on the RAM, and since you have the Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz selected, you might want to get the full benefit of the RAM. I found this one - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-mo ... 5a78lmusb3 slightly more than the FM2+ and the AM3+ one but it's up to you if the benefit is worth the price difference.

You might be able to find something cheaper or in between for less, as I said I only skimmed through some things :)

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:57 am

Well I only picked that ram coz it was the cheapest on CCL, I know that it's 1866mhz, but won't it be capped down to 1333mhz if I put it in that mobo? It doesn't make a difference to me at what speed it runs (whatever runs word, TF2 and Sims 4), and that asus mobo is a bit out of my price range, I'm trying to spend as least as possible :P but still, can somebody let me know if there are any distinct advantages of AM3+ over FM2+ coz if there isn't I'm gonna go with the 860K :D

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 pm

I was having the same problem. In the end I went for Pentium G3258 as for £50 +mobo (ITX Gigabyte Gamibg-5) for less than £150 you can't go wrong. AMD are now irrelevant. Go Intel.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Yep, as much as everyone loves the AMD underdog, it's really hard not to build an intel machine now if you're even remotely considering gaming.

I just did a very quick lookup on a pentium g3450 + gigabyte ga-h81m-h mobo for £90 on ebuyer via pcpartpicker.
I adblock smilies.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:36 am

Ok wow, actually having spend like an hour now looking in to different Intel routes, and pentium G3258 was a good starting point. So I had a look around other options, and I'm not sure whether to go with that or the Celeron G1840, coz for £20 less, the performance is just a little bit worse, but .... £20 .... I can get a case for that money :P and for the mobo I think I'm gonna go Gigabyte H81M-S2H coz it seems that for £3 more, you get 2 more usb 3.0 ports at the back, and an usb 3.0 header for the front if the case has one, but that is still amazingly much cheaper, the price of this build went from £235 to a whooping £185, saving me a giant £50 unles there is a specific reason as to why I should perhaps go with the pentium G3258, in which case I save £30 :D you guys are the best :D

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:46 am

The G3258 is a K series CPU, ie it is multiplier unlocked.

You should be able to overclock from 3.2 to 4ghz with a moderately decent cooler and a small additional voltage. 4.4 is achievable on SOME samples if you're willing to push the voltage.
For reference, the Celeron 1840 is clocked at 2.8 ghz and has 2mb of cache rather than 3mb.
Architecture is the same, so the clock speed is the deciding performance factor, IE an overclocked G3258 should yeild ~25-30% improvement over the Celeron.

So, at stock speeds, performance won't be noticeable, but clocking gives some more performance - if you're that way inclined.

Of course, the best investment is a decent SSD still. That mechanical hard disk is going to kill the general use performance I'm afraid.
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

GiraffeKOOOO
BIFF

Postby GiraffeKOOOO » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:09 pm

Well I don't want to overclock it, I just want it to be at standard clock, and that will also be helpful co I will be able to have the CPU fan that comes with it coz they're pretty decent anyway, and I don't need to spend another £20 on a tx3evo. However it is helpful to know that I need to get an ssd, could I just ask what size should I get? Anyone any cheap ssds out there? But I think I'm gonna get it later, I'll focus on getting the important stuff first :)

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:12 pm

If you're not going to overclock then the standard cooler is fine.

I'd say 60GB as an absolute bare minimum for just windows on the SSD, and then you may to need to manage it every so often, and other space demanding stuff will want to go on a HDD. 120GB+ would give you much more breathing room and it can actually be useful for more things.

More importantly from a quick look there's not much price difference. Without diving deep into what brands/models are great right now, you can get a 60GB for about £45, a 120GB for around £55, and 240GB for £70-80
I adblock smilies.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:35 pm

I clock mine for gaming using a specific profile I set up in BIOS. Can get to 4.7ghz on water with 42c full load and stable. Which is faster than an i5 without HT. I'd recommend the extra money for 120Gb SSD. 60Gb won't cut it with any windows updates etc.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Return to “Tech Advice”