New PC

Problems? We'll give um a shot
xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Re: New PC

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:36 am

Freelance wrote:What has changed recently is cannonlake, which was to be the 'tick' to skylake's 'tock'

You mean; which was to be the tock to skylake's tick! :P Now it's the tock-tock, which I don't think we've since since the first Core's came out.

tldr: Skylake (tick, now) -> Kaby Lake (tock, next year-ish) -> Cannonlake (tock-tock, 2017ish).

Cannonlake is a freaking cool name.

The Sam
1337 Krew

Postby The Sam » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Loving that pc part picker site, it's changed my life lol :)

Here's my build. I'd want this to last me many years, so it's worth making it reasonably future proof. I've not ordered anything yet, though. If you could take a look and see if there's any problems, I'd appreciate it, thanks :)
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9V3fZL

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:58 pm

Few points from my own experience:

• Personally I would change the Seagate to WD. Every Seagate I've ever owned has failed on me. If you are going to be storing games on it I suggest the WD Black, you'll pay a premium and it will be louder than a standard drive but you'll get some additional performance out of it, otherwise WD Green is fine.
  • 750Watt PSU should cover you if you want to SLI in the future but if that is a plan of yours, you may want to take a look at your case as it may get toasty. Also, see if you can grab a deal on a gold rated fully modular PSU, it's minor and a luxury upgrade but it's nice to have.
  • 1000% buy an aftermarket CPU cooler, something like this would cover you and should fit in your case quite nicely.
  • That keyboard and mouse will be horrible for gaming. Treat yourself to something better. There are lots of value gaming products out at the moment. Also a mousemat? This or this are value combos which would be lots better than a wireless combo designed for media consumption.
  • Depending on how much you like your music/sound, a soundcard may also prove beneficial. Any standalone offering will outshine integrated cards with ease. Again, some cheap offerings are available, along with some more expensive external solutions. My personal favorite is this although you will only really start to see the benefits of a card like that with much better speakers.
  • Check to see if you need any more case fans. A case that small will require some decent airflow.
Overall a nice build. Take a look at this video where Corsair do a build in your case.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:08 pm

All valid points that I agree with, but looking back at his OP I see the build is already £100+ above his first stated budget (£900).
I adblock smilies.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Yeah, I tried to keep everything as budget as possible but further sacrifices can be made, such as the CPU cooler for example. Some of those things can also be future upgrades like the soundcard and peripherals. But if you really want to future-proof yourself you'll have to decide if you want to go for it now and spend a little extra cash.

Just to solidify my buy from EU motion:

€1417.17 equals £983.55, You will need to factor in the delivery fee and currency conversion fee as well. Still, that's from ONE retailer.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:34 pm

CPU - This is Haswell, with a new chip out in weeks I would wait. The M.2 SSD support will be much better.
A Samsung x951 512gb will be similar money, and will fly in comparison.

PSU sizing. PSU calculator comes up with 350w for this combination. If you SLI'ed it would come to 460w. You're buying a good quality PSU, which can deliver the rated capacity.
Drop the 750w (Double your needs) to a 500 / 550w 80+ Gold and you'll get something with plenty of headroom, better power efficiency and lower costs.

Overclocking might use some of the headroom, but still, 750w is way over the top. http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:40 pm

Personally I like to stay away from 5400rpm drives if you're going to be putting anything on them you want performance out of, i.e. game installs that don't benefit from a SSD. They're fine for media though, but for general purpose I can't see why you'd go for anything but 7200rpm

One corner that could be cut is if you sacrifice overclocking you can go for non-Z boards and usually a cheaper CPU

Also as an alternative, if you're not going to be using the wattage, you could get a 80+ gold 550W PSU rather than a bronze. That would be plenty if you're not overclocking, not going SLI or with a power hungry monster GPU. The 970 is pretty efficient (and not relevant to this build, but next year the step to 16nm should bring efficiencies).
I adblock smilies.

The Sam
1337 Krew

Postby The Sam » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:55 pm

I think the radiator is a good idea, and the wd green too.
I'll be fine with a "standard" keyboard and mouse, it's what I'm use to. I might look into something else later.
I'll go for a modular PSU because I'll probably need the cable flexibility in the small space I'll have to work with.

The Sam
1337 Krew

Postby The Sam » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Also I'm not really into overclocking or SLI/Crossfire. I could always try out that kinda stuff later.
Good point about the lower wattage PSU.
Are WD greens 54k RPM? makes sense if that's why they're called green.

I'm feeling so out of touch with hardware right now lol :)

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:12 pm

The Sam wrote:I'll go for a modular PSU because I'll probably need the cable flexibility in the small space I'll have to work with.

The one you have now is modular apart from the main 24pin. To be honest, it's fine other then Wishy's recommendations above.
The Sam wrote:Are WD greens 54k RPM? makes sense if that's why they're called green.

5200rpm, good for media storage and general consumption. If you are using it for games then I would take Freelances advice and stick to a 7200rpm drive. The WD Black is good for this but it's mighty expensive compared to other 7200rpm drives.

The Sam
1337 Krew

Postby The Sam » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:04 pm

I went for a WD black 2TB and a 500w Corsair gold PSU.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it :)
I haven't built a pc in quite a few years so this'll be interesting.
I got everything from amazon, and their returns policy is pretty good (just in case something goes wrong)

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:10 pm

My bad, didn't read the full article properly;

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20150216PD207.html
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:56 am

Merson wrote:One site I do recommend is http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/ €12 delivery and discount on lots of prices if you use the links above.

Scratch that, do not buy off them!
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comme ... ts_off_of/

Return to “Tech Advice”