Problems? We'll give um a shot
Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

VGA cooler fans

Postby Freelance » Tue May 12, 2015 6:53 pm

So today I took a look inside my case and one of the two fans on my sapphire radeon 7850 has stopped spinning. The fan is free to move, manually increasing the fan speed causes the other fan to speed up, so I assume at some point it stalled and the motor coil burned out. It's out of warranty so no dice there, but there wouldn't be any problem screwing around with it myself.

However, temperatures seem good, it peaks around 71C in furmark. It gets a little noisy with the fan going at 3500rpm. I guess my case cooling is decent.

In their infinite wisdom sapphire made the fans/shroud attach to the heatsink, so to mess with the fans you've got to take the whole heatsink off, which is annoying. I could see trying to remove the faulty fan and attach a similar diameter fan powered elsewhere.

Or I could get a whole replacement heatsink, which would hopefully be quieter at the same time, something like this: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2870.html . Or not invest in the old card and look to replacing it sooner, although there's nothing out right now that grabs me, I'd love something between the geforce 960 and 970.

Thoughts? Ideas?
I adblock smilies.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Re: VGA cooler fans

Postby iMess » Wed May 13, 2015 12:27 am

In terms of replacing the GPU, that's only a choice you can make. You have the option of silent cooling with the Morpheus Black but you do need some airflow in the case.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Scaniaman93
BIFF

Postby Scaniaman93 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:12 am

I'd replace it but its up to you

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:47 am

It turned out to be a sometimes it would spin, sometimes it wouldn't thing.

I ended up just removing the stalling fan and tie-wrapping a 80mm case fan to where it used to be, and that works well enough.

I also excavated my old mostly heat killed geforce460 and pulled it to bits and salvaged the fans off that. Although it looks like the low profile 80mm fans on graphics cards seem generic, they seem to be wired differently and different length cables, so I'd need to do some testing/investigating before hooking it up and maybe adjust them.

In related news, I've got a potential novelty keyfob if anyone wants to take that off my hands. I've also got 2x 3DFX Voodoo2s if anyone wants retro ones (intact cards, untested).

Given the shakeups in GPUs prices that are happening now, and the age of the current GPU, it just doesn't seem to make sense to spend ~£40+ extending it's life.
I adblock smilies.

Return to “Tech Advice”