Problems? We'll give um a shot
iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Re: Overdue Budget Upgrade

Postby iMess » Thu May 07, 2015 12:14 am

Yup I'll use my Arctic Freezer Pro 7 rev2 which should allow a nice 4.5-4.7Ghz clock! Using this as a final reference AMD 860k will just end up tying me to a further limited socket life.

If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Thu May 07, 2015 8:49 am

Yes, AMD announced next years processors today. Interestingly they've completely abandoned their bulldozer 2 integer 1 float unit approach, and moved to something more conventional.

Looks like it'll be a new socket for the next generation, which makes sense when DDR4 should be firmly rooted by this point
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

iMess

Postby iMess » Thu May 07, 2015 8:22 pm

Oops (wife is away tonight)
Amazon wrote:Thank you, your order has been placed.

:lol: :mrgreen:
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

iMess

Postby iMess » Thu May 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Wishy wrote:Yes, AMD announced next years processors today. Interestingly they've completely abandoned their bulldozer 2 integer 1 float unit approach, and moved to something more conventional.

Looks like it'll be a new socket for the next generation, which makes sense when DDR4 should be firmly rooted by this point

Yes I saw that, but they can fuck off if I'm waiting another 18 months. AMD had their chance and only now do they decide to switch to SMT. AM4 universal socket is a good move for them both for FX and K12 users. I can live without DDR4.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Thu May 07, 2015 8:40 pm

For me the other side of the processor equation is also interesting, software demand for performance as opposed to hardware supply. If you're at the high end you can usually make a case for a better processor, but at least for gaming it's a rare thing that I really feel held back by my i5 ivy bridge with my middle-of-the-road mainstream-ish setup, and I don't see that changing soon.

We're well over a decade since AMD introduced multicore to the mainstream, 9 years since intel brought out their core2duos, and we're still not heavily relying upon it for gaming.
I adblock smilies.

iMess

Postby iMess » Thu May 07, 2015 10:46 pm

Freelance wrote:For me the other side of the processor equation is also interesting, software demand for performance as opposed to hardware supply. If you're at the high end you can usually make a case for a better processor, but at least for gaming it's a rare thing that I really feel held back by my i5 ivy bridge with my middle-of-the-road mainstream-ish setup, and I don't see that changing soon.

We're well over a decade since AMD introduced multicore to the mainstream, 9 years since intel brought out their core2duos, and we're still not heavily relying upon it for gaming.

Pretty much my thinking. CPUs are at a point now where, for gaming atleast, they are no longer the bottleneck of a entry-level system. The designs of server cores have massively influenced this from revisions of IPC and micro-architecture. I'm sure Steve can provide a more indepth explanation, but TLDR; GPU and RAM are the main components being able to run medium, high and ultra-high settings now. The only thing that has exception to this is laptops with shared-memory IGPs

iMess

Postby iMess » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Case and CPU purchased. Next up is mobo and cooler. I wasn't initially going to replace my air cooler but I've discovered its not compatible. This won't be ready for the LAN but will hopefully be ready in August. Therefore I will be selling my current mobo, cpu and ram.

the exterminator
BIFF
steamid: terminator3000

Postby the exterminator » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:14 pm

The 850 is a good drive :)
I am a #WindowsInsider

iMess

Postby iMess » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:43 pm

the exterminator wrote:The 850 is a good drive :)

yeh, not sure if I should stretch to the 250Gb tho. £27 more

the exterminator
BIFF
steamid: terminator3000

Postby the exterminator » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:47 pm

It depends as I've got the 120gb version, I don't really install much on it I might install vs2015 which use 10gb. But games and that go on my very large disk ;)
I am a #WindowsInsider

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin

Postby bloodtobleed » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:50 pm

iMess wrote:yeh, not sure if I should stretch to the 250Gb tho. £27 more

I had a 128GB before and found it was just about big enough but I didn't have any rooms for games on there. I've since grabbed an 850 EVO 500GB as my secondary for games which I would recommend but it is £132 at the moment.
I'd at least spring for the 250GB if I were you though. £27 to double your storage and actually give you enough room for a few intensive games is pretty good!

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Depends whether 120 or 250GB will hold the data you want fast/responsive access to
I adblock smilies.

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin

Postby bloodtobleed » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Freelance wrote:Depends whether 120 or 250GB will hold the data you want fast/responsive access to

iMess

Postby iMess » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Freelance wrote:Depends whether 120 or 250GB will hold the data you want fast/responsive access to

Well I was going to fill it with DosBox ROMs

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:01 pm

imho, i'm getting rid of a high level 250GB soon.. with GTA 5 being 1050143GB its just killing me. most of my steam games are on my spinny again :|

Return to “Tech Advice”