Overdue Budget Upgrade

Problems? We'll give um a shot
Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Re: Overdue Budget Upgrade

Postby Wishy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:54 pm

I've just finished my Ivy Bridge to Skylake upgrade (The wife wanted a desktop, and was happy with a hand-me-down, hence the earlier than normally justifiable upgrade - even if the Ivy Bridge setup was over 3 years old).

Processor performance isn't radically different, maybe a 15-20% IPC increase, and a 20% clock speed improvement. Probably not worth the upgrade for that alone. The chipset upgrade, however, is a massive improvement. Those extra PCI-E lanes are very much overdue, and the Samsung SM951 moves like shit off a shovel (And that's speaking as someone who had a relatively decent Crucial M4 256gb SATA III SSD, which came close enough to saturating SATA3 for it to be more or less as good as it gets over that interface). Other noticable improvements is the ease with which you can stuff it with RAM, thanks to DDR4.

One thing I have very much noticed is how much the prices have gone up for Skylake. Processors are £200, where my previous i5 was closer to £150, motherboards was £125 vs £80/ I can't help but think Intel are milking their position, and that a bit of AMD competition would be nice!
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Wishy wrote:One thing I have very much noticed is how much the prices have gone up for Skylake. Processors are £200, where my previous i5 was closer to £150, motherboards was £125 vs £80/ I can't help but think Intel are milking their position, and that a bit of AMD competition would be nice!

General inflation hasn't helped i feel. Also hasn't silicon gotten more expensive over the years?

Wishy

Postby Wishy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:35 pm

In fairness, the dollar is quite strong - but the dollar price has certainly gone up.

The raw materials are negligible. It's development and fabrication costs

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:28 am

You're also buying it right as it comes out and supply is thinner on the ground.
I adblock smilies.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:17 pm

Which mobo did you go for steve?
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Wishy

Postby Wishy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:21 pm

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro. Mostly as it was the cheapest available board with MSATA, an Intel network card and DDR4. (Watch out for the cheap versions, they're DDR3. IMHO that has no place on a Z series chipset!)

Return to “Tech Advice”