Strange Windows problem (I love computers)

Problems? We'll give um a shot
Jani
Swearing Admin

Strange Windows problem (I love computers)

Postby Jani » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:02 pm

One of my HP microservers gets stuck on the Windows Server 2008 loading screen with the scrolling bar if I try to boot it without something connected to the esata port. I used a SATA DVD drive to install the OS and obviously want to disconnect it now but I can't boot the bastard if I do!

Oddly enough I installed my other microserver with the same OS exactly the same way and it does not suffer this problem.

Any ideas?

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Re: Strange Windows problem (I love computers)

Postby iMess » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Did you tell it to boot from HD instead of DVD SATA in BIOS?
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:08 am

Did you have something plugged into the esata port while you installed windows?
What may have happened is that the hdd on the esata port was set as the boot device, and because of this Windows may have written the shitty 100mb boot system partition to the esata hdd.

Reinstalling windows could be the only way to solve this issue due to hardware id changes required if this is the case.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:31 am

I had the DVD drive connected to the esata port so I doubt it wrote anything there. I'd understand if it didn't boot at all without it connected, but the fact that it gets half way into Windows (the scrolling bar screen) leaves me mystified.

I don't really want to reinstall, but I have an external drive which I was using as a backup drive on the other server, I've connected it to this one now (by esata) and it seems to be fine. I know it's not a solution, but I don't mind having that drive always connected since I will use it, so never mind.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:40 am

Hi Jani, you pinged me on FB about this and I've only just had a chance to respond. My Windows admin knowledge is rusty nowadays, but given that the other microserver installed and is working fine, the issue could be a few different thongs, from a randomly borked install through to a genuine issue with the esata dependency at boot.

I think its unlikely to be related to partioning / EFI dependencies, given that you say you're getting to the "scrolly loading bar screen". Problems with partioning and EFI generally manifest themselves much sooner in the boot sequence.

I dont have much experience or working knowledge of precisely how windows handles boot up dependencies, but here is what I would try; boot into safe mode, of this works it indicates the critical components of windows are functioning. If not, reinstall.

If you can boot into safe mode with the esata drove bay attached, launch device manager, and uninstall the drivers for the driven this possibly may remove the dependency on the drive at boot up, if that is indeed the issue.

One issue I did have often with windows is bug check 0x7e or 0x7d - one of them is similar to INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE, because windows requires that the disk access mode at boot time is the same as install time (which is fucking ludicrous). You can fix this easily by changing the relevant option in the BIOS. (Often from/to ACHI). But I dont necessarily think that's your problem here.

Best of luck! :)

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:25 am

xconspirisist wrote:The issue could be a few different thongs

Those pesky lime greens ones are a pain to extract.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Return to “Tech Advice”