Spec review for friend of a friend's gaming machine

Problems? We'll give um a shot
xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Spec review for friend of a friend's gaming machine

Postby xconspirisist » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi folks,

A friend of a friend emailed me and asked what I thought of this spec. I don't keep up with desktop hardware at all so I've no idea about any of this. Mind if I out-source this question to you fine people?

There are some obvious oddities - no SSD and only a 1TB disk.

Code: Select all

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.00 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology *** Overclocking S&S *** [-38]
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1866mhz Dual Channel Memory (HyperX Fury White w/Heat Spreader)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AMD 990X Chipset, CrossFire / SLI supported, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III /s, RAID, ***Overclockable XXX***
SOUND: ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1 Channels PCI-E Sound Card [+24]
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+22] (Single Card)

I've gone back and asked the "what games", and "what budget" while I wait for your initial feedback.

Cheers chaps (and the occasional chapesses)!

Jani
Swearing Admin

Re: Spec review for friend of a friend's gaming machine

Postby Jani » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Don't buy AMD. Get an Intel i5

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 pm

AMD is fine for low-mid end.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Still £100+ of processor. It's 8 core*, but IMHO that's a lot of cash for something which isn't that fast for gaming use.
Either go for a 4 core AMD CPU and actually save a decent chunk of cash (Maybe A8 - 7600)
or
Go intel i5 quad core, and get something a lot faster

*4 processing units, each with 2 integer units and 1 FPU. Kinda 8 core and way better than hyperthreading.

It's a real stretch to justify a separate audio card on this budget
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:21 pm

intel chips are recommended over AMDs because most games take advantage of fewer strong IPC cores rather than going heavily multithreaded.

According to pcpartpicker the CPU/mobo combination in the OP is about £207, and you can get a i5-4670 and a non-Z chipset motherboard for around that. No overclocking, but then overclocking probably means investing into a better PSU and cooling as well.

You don't list a PSU or case, so I assume they're taken care of.

I agree with wishy on the soundcard, unless you know you want one, just use onboard. Most motherboard implementations are fine nowadays for most people, and you'd need a really good audio setup to tell the difference, and if you're spending on that then an extra soundcard isn't pushing the boat out.

In related news, I've got a Xonar D2X (PCIe) going spare if you want it. Reasonable offers, etc. Located in Plymouth.
I adblock smilies.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:50 am

You do not need an 8 core CPU for gaming as no games will utilise it. Have a look at some of the Intel i5 vs i7 benchmarks and you'll see, for single thread performance some of the i5 CPU's are less than 1% behind i7 CPU's which are double the price.

It's only if you're doing heavy multi threaded work where an i7 will shine, for example video encoding with software which can actually use all cores. For gaming, it's pointless.

Just to add, I have an i7 4770K, I do actually do video encoding (probably more than playing games), and if you look at benchmarks comparing the 4770K (~£250) to the range topping 8 core 5960X (~£850), mine actually wins on single thread performance due to slightly higher clock speed. Thus the 5960X is a tremendous waste of money if you're only using it to play games.

Scaniaman93
BIFF

Postby Scaniaman93 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am

If it were me, I'd go with a core i5 as the others have said and also upgrade the GPU to a GTX 960 because thats considered the sweet spot for 1080p gaming.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:57 pm

If lower cost preferred AMD Athlon II 760k (Basically a quad APU without the GPU die so pure-quad) for £80, couple it with a AS Rock FM2A88X-ITX+
for £81.20, both available from amazon. For a lan friendly machine (this is what I plan to get anyway) it's great for the price.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Return to “Tech Advice”