Recommend me a NAS enclosure

Problems? We'll give um a shot
Jani
Swearing Admin

Recommend me a NAS enclosure

Postby Jani » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Ok chaps, I need recommendations on a NAS box. It can be diskless, as I already have the drives, I just need to get them out of my machine and onto the network directly. Requirements:

gigabit
4 bays
not hugely expensive

Doesn't need to be anything super fancy.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Re: Recommend me a NAS enclosure

Postby Freelance » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:47 pm

You're probably going to have to narrow it down a bit by listing features you want or how you intend to use it, as pretty much everything with 4 bays is going to get a "I've used this, it's okay". They'll all store your files and serve them back.

Are you using it for media storage, does it need to be a DNLA/etc server, does it need to be a bomb proof reliable server, do you care about redundancy/data recovery, do you care about being able to saturate that Gbit?

Personally if I was to recommend random NAS, i'd probably go with a synology 414j
I adblock smilies.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:09 pm

If you're interested in Plex support: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articl ... ility-List

1080p is beyond anyone's budget (Transcode).

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:41 am

I'm a very happy synology user, so I'd recommend a 414j if your budget can stretch. They're very capable and hassle free boxes.

You can do things slightly cheaper using a microserver and a copy of the synology server (Exact legality unknown, but synology certainly don't support it) - but it's probably worth a little extra for a proper unit
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:44 am

Ok, the Synology unit is quite a bit more than I hoped to pay, and it's also slightly overkill for my needs.

I literally want to connect hard drives to a network, it does not have to do anything else, obviously I need to be able to set up sharing/passwords etc. I had an old Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo which did a perfect job but it's fucked now. It is gigabit but wouldn't saturate it, but could still achieve 30MB per second which was plenty.

It does not need any sort of media streaming, transcoding etc support at all. It's literally going to serve files and that's it, I just need to get the drives out of my PC and have them online all the time. I want something with very low power consumption and I already have one microserver running 24/7. I could even settle for a couple of 2 bay enclosures instead of a single 4 bay.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:52 am

I don't trust commodity embedded devices like these - so I built myown x86 NAS running Linux. It's obviously super low cost and how every feature... if you configure it ;) Let me know if you want to go down this road and need a hand.

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:35 pm

I think it's a bit of "horses for courses", there's all kinds of trade-offs possible.
I adblock smilies.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 pm

Jani wrote:Ok, the Synology unit is quite a bit more than I hoped to pay, and it's also slightly overkill for my needs.

It does not need any sort of media streaming, transcoding etc support at all. It's literally going to serve files and that's it, I just need to get the drives out of my PC and have them online all the time. I want something with very low power consumption and I already have one microserver running 24/7. I could even settle for a couple of 2 bay enclosures instead of a single 4 bay.

do you have any raid expectations?

xconspirisist wrote:I don't trust commodity embedded devices like these - so I built myown x86 NAS running Linux. It's obviously super low cost and how every feature... if you configure it ;) Let me know if you want to go down this road and need a hand.

Some of the NAS's on the market are cheaper than an appropriate mini-itx board and chassis. (Don't forget 4 port SATA is at the higher end of the market). Flexible and better performing certainly, not not super cheap
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:01 pm

I do not need raid

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:10 pm

In that case I'd just get the cheapest unit I could find with decent reviews. Looking at amazon that's a netgear readynas 104 for £120: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BJ1BGB6/
I adblock smilies.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:58 pm

^ that looks perfect, it even has esata and 2x USB 3.0 for extra storages :)

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:58 pm

I have a spare HP Microserver, speak to me if u want to purchase it - unlocked bios too.

neon
Duct Tape Engineer

Postby neon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 am

Bit of a bump, but this might be of interest to those with a Synology NAS: https://twitter.com/MikeEvangelist/status/495970097497128960
and here: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88716

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:41 pm

One more reason to have multiple backups I suppose.
I adblock smilies.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:04 pm

One more reason not to trust cheap embedded crapware.

Return to “Tech Advice”