Recommend me a NAS enclosure

Problems? We'll give um a shot
AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Re: Recommend me a NAS enclosure

Postby AlienX » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:14 pm

It's exactly the same "virus" that attacked Windows platforms not long ago according to news articles (I would link them, but i forget where i read them now)

Long story short, as with all of these Encrypt and ask for money type deals, they never decrypt it for you and its extremely hard to decrypt it anyways (apparantly)

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:58 am

Yeah, I imagine it's an extremely tricky thing to recover from, without good backups. My instinct would be to do some malware analysis on the binary, see if it's farming out the encryption functions to a shared library, at least you'll know what encryption function you're working with. It's quite possible that the key is static and held within the binary itself. Still, malware authors are assholes.

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:45 am

That's interesting, never heard of a NAS being attacked with ransomware like that!

Anyways, I bought Alienx's HP microserver :D

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:03 pm

James, from what i read on the attack the encryption key is generated at random when the application starts, and it is disgarded once the encryption is finished - a horrible attack.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Sadface :(

Return to “Tech Advice”