Problems? We'll give um a shot
egg99
LAN Mother
Origin ID: egg99rhubarb
steamid: Egg99

Best Mouse/Keyboard Combo?

Postby egg99 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi gents,
I got a lot of stick at the last LAN about my current mouse/keyboard setup... I think I probably paid less that £15 for the two combined and that was over five years ago! Maybe it's time for an upgrade?!
I was just wondering what people's opinions were on the best gear for me. I'm not looking for clever keyboards running their own OS or a mouse with a stupid amount of additional buttons. I just want something decent and practical (and wired!). The OCD in me says I want them both to be from the same manufacturer, but I'm happy to be persuaded otherwise. Price limit of £150 for the two sound reasonable?
Let's hear what you've got to say!
Thanks,
Egg x

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Re: Best Mouse/Keyboard Combo?

Postby iMess » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:59 pm

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-024-CM&groupid=702&catid=2705&subcat=1258

or

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-006-CM

Personally I use a G15 v2 Keyboard from Logitech and I use a Gigabyte M6900 mouse. Doesn't have many buttons, really comfortable and bloody cheap.

I've used Roccat mice before and really not impressed. The mini lasted about a month before needing a replacement and then it lasted a further 4 months before dying.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

egg99
LAN Mother

Postby egg99 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:15 pm

I like the look of your mouse, iMess. What's with all the sharp edges on mice these days? I'd take smooth any day!

Vega
1337 Krew

Postby Vega » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:27 pm

egg99 wrote:I'd take smooth any day!

Jani
Swearing Admin

Postby Jani » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:32 pm

I use a Logitech G700 mouse, it has quite a few extra buttons (none of which I use) but what I like about it is that it's big and comfortable. It is wireless but it charges by USB and it basically becomes a wired mouse when you plug it in. You could just use it wired permanently although I like the freedom of a wireless mouse when I'm not gaming.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 pm

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g602-wireless-gaming-mouse

Runs off normal batteries but the last set I put in lasted about four months.

iMess

Postby iMess » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:37 pm

I really don't like wireless mice. Personal preference, but its another thing you need to stick batteries in or recharge.

My mouse is suitable if you like a comfortable fit. Big enough for my whole hand, unlike the razer and roccat before it.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Yep, if you're at a desk normally, wired is just much less hastle, both with no charging/batteries, but also sorting out the signal - which will drop at the most inconvenient time.
I adblock smilies.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Freelance wrote:Yep, if you're at a desk normally, wired is just much less hastle, both with no charging/batteries, but also sorting out the signal - which will drop at the most inconvenient time.

Serious question. What wireless gaming mice have you been using to drop signal? Unless you're trying to game on the shitter 40ft away from your tower I don't see how any gaming grade wireless mouse made in the last couple of years would drop (Minus the batteries running out). Don't see how batteries are a hassle either when mine need replacing every quarter of a year and give plenty of warning when at 10 & 5% life.

I can totally understand why wired would be preferred by a lot of people but I believe wireless mice are getting to the point where you won't notice the difference anymore between the two.

egg99
LAN Mother

Postby egg99 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:28 pm

I'm with iMess on the pro-wired front. I'm a lazy bitch at the best of times and, even if it's only four times a year, I don't want to be buying batteries when I don't have to.
I'm off to peruse Logitech's stuff now.

egg99
LAN Mother

Postby egg99 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:33 pm

P.S. I keep running into these "Razor" mice/keyboards... over priced or actually any good?

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin

Postby Merson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:47 am

From personal experience I've found that Logitech gear will be better quality than anything Razer makes. I had a G5 for around 4 years before I replaced it, and it was still fully functional.

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:52 am

I am a big logitech fan when it comes to keyboards. i have had them for years now and love them
For a mouse i have a R.A.T 9 and love it to bits, they do a wired version as well.

Its a shame you didn't ask at the LAN as you could have tried all the different ones everyone has.
I adblock Freelance
Email - mike@westlan.co.uk

egg99
LAN Mother

Postby egg99 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:18 pm

mikethegreek wrote:Its a shame you didn't ask at the LAN as you could have tried all the different ones everyone has.

Haha! Very true! I'm in no rush for new stuff yet so I could always wait the agonising hundred and something days and trial other people's gear then! :P

iMess

Postby iMess » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:08 am

Razer is all paying for the brand. My magma mouse lasted about 4 years then left-clicker went. Whatever you choose, just make sure you can comfortably fit your hand on it.

Return to “Tech Advice”