Overclocking

Problems? We'll give um a shot
room101
BIFF

Re: Overclocking

Postby room101 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Have got a black edition amd 5000, and it scales itself with linux so most of the time it sits at 1ghz per core, start using it in anger and it soon shoots up to full speed... :mrgreen:

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:29 pm

Ahh.. how well do the 5000's clock? It's a toss up between them or the 6400 black edition for my next gen upgrade.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

room101
BIFF

Postby room101 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:38 pm

Mine goes from 1ghz to 3.4ghz no probs on default voltage, with water cooling..... :mrgreen:

iMess

Postby iMess » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Sweet.. time to build that phase changer :)
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

subseb
Unter Peon

Postby subseb » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:52 pm

I have just re-clocked my 8600M GS back to stock speeds on my Acer 5520G laptop. Annoyingly Acer specify their model with a 450MHz core. It's a painful process to reclock and overclock them by modifying the VGA bios, but I am willing to share.

I am now getting about 3000 3DMARKS06 with my lappy. Not bad for a two year old budget machine.

Turion TL-56 2 x 1.8Ghz
Nvidia 8600M GS
2048MB DDR2-667Mhz RAM
1.2TB E-SATA HD
DVD+/-RW Dual layer
802.11b/g & Bluetooth 1.2
40" LCD Samsung LE40R87
VISTA HOME PREMIUM & XP PRO SP3

aarenlainey

Postby aarenlainey » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 pm

I haven't paid much attention to over-clocking until now, and I'm really curious about its benefits and drawbacks.

I want my new computer to the the workforce and my man cave escape all in one. Basically, I'm looking for a computer that can edit and render hi definition video in high definition formats. 'm unsure which route to take in this issue, and whether or not over-clocking would grant me anything substantial. I know I'm sounding a little vague but I'm not really sure what to ask at this moment, but the feedback from you guys are really helping.

iMess

Postby iMess » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Overclocking the specific GPU card for what you're looking for won't really bring much to the table. Overclocking GPU/RAM/CPU generally is about maximising your system's potential but at the same time stable. If you are looking for a system of editing Hi-def, then you should be aiming for a hi-def machine spec as opposed to a gaming one.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:16 pm

aarenlainey wrote:I haven't paid much attention to over-clocking until now, and I'm really curious about its benefits and drawbacks.
benefits: potentially more performance out of a chip
downsides: it will likely consume more power and produce more heat (which needs a better cooler). will probably be less stable than running at stock speeds, so it will take time to find the best overclock that a chip will do and still be stable.
aarenlainey wrote: Basically, I'm looking for a computer that can edit and render hi definition video in high definition formats. 'm unsure which route to take in this issue, and whether or not over-clocking would grant me anything substantial.
CPUs are for numbercrunching, and now are being assisted in video decoding/encoding by modern graphics cards. different CPUs from different manufacturers have different strengths too, so get one suited to the task, I seem to recall the intel i7 being good for video encoding work.

I'm not a video editor, but I'd say a very important factor is memory, lots of RAM and good quality hard drives should make the editing work better.
I adblock smilies.

iMess

Postby iMess » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:30 pm

It's a bot.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 pm

roger that, didn't notice the sig until you pointed it out
I adblock smilies.

Return to “Tech Advice”