Payments

tomuk5
1337 Krew

Postby tomuk5 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:04 am

funny now you mention windows mobile access ;)

how about picking up the browser ID of a mobile device and then sending it mobile compatible pages :)
(actually i better bug xcon about that one for the wax)

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:25 am

Why would you want to checking the westlan booking page, signup, pay for and book a seat on your mobile?

The amount of work is huge the amount of use it would actually be
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Gooseman
1337 Krew
steamid: sgoosey

Postby Gooseman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:14 pm

i have been on the homepage on my mobile,

ive been at work booking time off and i needed the dates, did it for the last lan, cant do it for this one

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:04 pm

so all of about 2 people warrants a custom page etc?! do you think we sit about twiddling our thumbs with nothing to do?!

Gooseman
1337 Krew

Postby Gooseman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:16 pm

i think it says that at least a couple of people use it, no it doesnt justify it, but maybe if a few more people use it then it may give cause to thinking of it

AlienX
Overdraft Admin

Postby AlienX » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:49 pm

im sorry but which "geek" lan party atendee ever does not have the internet? - some 1 who would be on their PC so much they want to spend time with other people sitting on their PC inside another room playing games with eachother (not sexual people, unless ur imess and bd). - i cant see that person not having a internet connection at any point in time.

i think that having westlan signups on ur phone is just stupid - just wait, like im waiting right now to get home to get to my new PC which it currently sitting in my hall dining room waiting for me...

yeeeeeeeeeah, waiting.. not fun but u gotta do it :P

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:02 pm

There are two factors to it not currently working. First of all, the current westlan site isn't flexable enough to cater for these devices. The bigger reason however, is that the browsers on those devices are immensly poor, only displaying bare bones content with many hacks for the pages to render in any acceptable form.

Having said that, Wishy, designing for these devices is possible, and far, far less work than you might imagine. I'd be happy to add some suggestions next time we talk about the new westlan site...

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:06 pm

yes. flash. marques and transitional effects coming to a westlan site near you soon - not to mention hundreds of popups. spyware infected .exe's and a horrible colour scheme ;)

tomuk5
1337 Krew

Postby tomuk5 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:55 pm

actually they arent phones like you think alienx, they are SPV's or O2 XDA's so are windows mobile 5 devices and in the case of jimme, a w2k3 device, and have a cut down IE on it, as me and jimme helped xcon use browser ID's for them before.

they arent too dificult to program for, as my SPV will quite happily handle the westlan site, just its a bit too squashed on the screen, it would be nice that when the server detects a browser ID of a windows mobile device, it feeds the device with a site laid out for a mobile device, so more in a column shape.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety

Postby xconspirisist » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:05 pm

Actually, the correct way to do it would be to select stylesheets based on the HTTP Headers (which contain the browser ID). This is even recommended by W3C. It's the fundamental reason for why stylesheets exist.

tomuk5
1337 Krew

Postby tomuk5 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:15 pm

so it would be quite easy to make a copy of an existing stylesheet, modify it to look nice on a mobile device and then set it up so that the mobile stylesheet is applied when the mobile browser ID is detected.

BlackDwarf
1337 Krew

Postby BlackDwarf » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:45 pm

Did someone call? My ears were tingling

Among other things
© ¡Mess 2008 - Falling.. would like to send you the file "Me 001.jpg" (258 Kb). Do you want to Accept (Ctrl+T) or Decline (Ctrl+D) the invitation?
© ¡Mess 2008 - Falling.. says: (00:05:13)
new hair :P
Black Dwarf says: (00:05:16)
dare i ask :P
© ¡Mess 2008 - Falling.. says: (00:05:24)
on.my.head.

Gooseman
1337 Krew

Postby Gooseman » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:21 pm

o2 XDA ftw

JimmE
Unter Peon

Postby JimmE » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:04 pm

i can't really see the point of having the payments system available on mobile, like alien says the chances of u not being near a net connection before being able to sign up are negligible.

I do have a device which supports mobile IE, but to be frank, it's crap. I've only really used it when bored / playing, sites just aren't geared up to serve small browsers with small screen resolutions anymore, and even if they were, why would I want to view sites on a tiddly little screen with a spindly little stylus for controls when I have a perfectly good 19" TFT, full size keyboard and mouse I can use instead?

OK, so if the site is going for a redesign and it's not much more work to code some extra CSS which reduces margins and cuts out unneccessary bulk then from a web usability POV it might be worthwhile, but imo the effort required to edit a busy site which works well with good functionality (a la seating plan and payment system) to provide for the one time someone might feel like playing with their phone and the seating plan, and risk disrupting the service for users who want to use it in the normal way, from a proper PC.

Anyway, on topic, signups are looking good at 47, lets just hope everyone pays! Would be good if we could get back in contact with some of the people we had to turn away from SL5 when we filled up....

xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:42 pm

Seating plan is up :) Get your mates to pay so that you can sit together...

Return to “Saltlan 7”