Hi and LANnage help

Silver_Samurai
n00b

Hi and LANnage help

Postby Silver_Samurai » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:42 pm

First of all id like to say hi to everyone, i very much doubt i have met many of you before, but i was directed here by iMess because i have a very particular problem...

I am trying to run a LAN party down in plymouth, just a little south of you guys as you know. The problem is that, whilst i have some networking experience, i have never ran a LAN party in my life, nor has anyone i know, i therefore come to you asking for help! Please, any advice you can give will be appreciated no end.

Thanks in advance!

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:57 pm

At least in principle, we're more than happy to let you borrow "The cab" for the price of free entry for the westlan staff (Thats 5 tickets absolute tops, its more likely to be 2 or 3)

The cab has
:arrow: 3 x 24 port 3com 3300 switches, 2gbit / second link between the switches, and a gig copper and fiber port
:arrow: Coreserv - All you need to run a lan, Preconfigured DHCP and Wins server
:arrow: Mikeserv - Athlon XP 1700 Game server

We also have plenty of power cables and network cables

Do you have a venue sorted?
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Silver_Samurai
n00b

THANKS!!

Postby Silver_Samurai » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:13 pm

WOW, i wasnt expecting THAT much help, but seriously, if you can provide us with all that kit (and give us some pointers on how to use it!) the 5 tickets are yours, the only problem ive got now is finding a different venue, because if you can supply that kind of kit, the one we had planned would never cope with the required power. Ill definately keep you posted, and i should have a venue planned within the week.

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:22 pm

how many ppl are you looking at we can and have ran i a lan for about 45 ppl befor but can gp up to about 60 with out too much trouble we would just have to get a few more network cables and power cables,

Silver_Samurai
n00b

Postby Silver_Samurai » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:32 pm

Well, we were originally lookin at 20 peeps (one switch) but with that amount of kit it would be a waste. We are currently re-evaluating numbers, but we were recomending people brought their own network cables or bought them on the day anyway.

I do have one question however, how much power do you need to run all those machines so i have a rough guide for when i go venue hunting!!

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:42 am

At the end of the day, if you only need one switch, you only need one switch. I'd recommend against running a 30 person lan to start with, unless you KNOW you can fill the places, otherwise you're likely to end up making a loss

The rule of thumb is 2 amps per person. A standard ringmain is 30a, some are 60a. A building may have 1 or more ringmains, however the main service fuse is normally 100a.
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:03 pm

Silver, are we to see you at this LAN? 14th-16th November.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Silver_Samurai
n00b

Postby Silver_Samurai » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:15 pm

Yeh i could make it, sounds good, the only problem is getting their, living in plymouth with no car and all, anyone have anny ideas, i could train to exeter, but what would i do from there?

mikethegreek
Addicted To Hard Drive's

Postby mikethegreek » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:44 pm

you would have 2 option if you came on the train
we could possibly arange some one to pick you up in exeter or there is a train that goes from exeter to lympstone were the lan is every 30 mins

Return to “General Chat Archives”