Woah, console gaming feels crappy after PC gaming!

Exactly what it says on the tin
xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Woah, console gaming feels crappy after PC gaming!

Postby xconspirisist » Mon May 09, 2016 9:20 pm

Hey folks, this post is about my experience of getting a new console (Nintendo 3DS) after all these years of being a PC gamer (and for the last 5 years or so, a fairly casual gamer now).

I switched to PC gaming after my beloved Nintendo 64 could not compete with the allure of PC gaming - internet play and real time strategy games got me hooked (Red Alert 95 and StarCraft 1). I never really looked back, apart from buying games for that N64 again in Uni, and now being a N64 collector, I've always really been a PC gamer for those years.

I enjoyed Half Life after StarCraft, and while I'd love to go into a nostalgia trip, the point was that Half Life got me into Steam version 1.0 (oh wow, that sucked). Over time of course Steam got better, and the biggest point of this post, is that PC gaming with Steam is what I've taken for granted.

I find myself travelling a lot, and despite trying several Android games I've not found anything immersive. When my girlfriend told me about the Pokemon (Red, Blue, Yellow) re-release on the Nintendo 3DS virtual console store, I thought I'd snap up a console (~£120) and the game for a bit of nostalgic, but A+ gaming. Anyway, the experience has been one with a few shocks;

First shock; Holy shit, console games are expensive. £10.99 for a monocromatic singleplayer remake game... damn! I can get like 3-4 games for that on Steam.

Captive market = no sales Special offers, discounts? Doesn't seem like it. 2 year old games are still going for £20+ easily.

The Nintendo 3DS operating system sucks massive donkey dong. Single tasking, adverts + forced downloads, baddddly designed UI, bad translations. It's garbage. Total and utter garbage.

The listing of available games is tiny. TINY! Every Nintendo game seems to be Mario Goes To the Supermarket, or Donkey Kong's Big Dong.

"Digital downloads" are more expensive than the physical carts O_o

Those shocks being said, completing Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on the Nintendo 3DS with awesomely fast load times, awesome battery life (and very fast charging), very decent physical controls, well placed power and audio ports etc - it's been brilliant! Also played a lot of PokeMon, and looking forward to catching up on favorite classics/ports from past Nintendo releases (lots of "ports/roms" available from SNES, N64, Gameboy original).

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Re: Woah, console gaming feels crappy after PC gaming!

Postby Freelance » Tue May 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Given the availability of mobile internet now, I just can't really get into the headspace of mobile gaming in public. I don't really have enough 'empty' time when I'm out and about/away from main PC that I'd want to get into a game, let alone something involved. So I'll just keep on seeing what the kids are spewing on reddit and trolling them.
I adblock smilies.

iMess
Your base looks nice, can i have it ?
Origin ID: imesx
Battle.net: wewlad
steamid: imess

Postby iMess » Thu May 12, 2016 7:17 pm

Like James, I struggle with the Android/Mobile gaming market. F2P/IAP piss me off as the market has become saturated with apps when all I'd like to do it buy something and play. Not piss about with paying £1.99 for 20 extra levels. Fuck that.

So I purchased an N64 Emulator and i've been very happy since!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=paulscode.android.mupen64plus
ROMS: https://www.loveroms.com/roms/nintendo-64
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 pm

That's the other thing I find with mobile games, input methods for a screen are hit and miss, plus you're obscuring your view by using it. It's not as bad for a tablet. Porting games made for a TV/monitor make me feel weird.
I adblock smilies.

iMess

Postby iMess » Fri May 13, 2016 8:00 am

Or get a pad.
If online bullying has taught us anything. It's that people would sooner hang themselves than lose a bit of weight.

xconspirisist
Pseudo-jolly-fatman, rapid-post-editor, postman-loather, coffee-induced-murderer, meatball-fanatic, GPS-hater, vapourware-author, executioner-of-flying-bugs, eternal emperor of entirety
Battle.net: xcons#2832
steamid: xconspirisist

Postby xconspirisist » Sun May 15, 2016 7:08 am

As you know I love my n64, and tried several emulators. The issue I had was the controls were just bad on a touch screen.

The 3DS of course has physical controls, and lots of n64 games have been ported to it.

iMess

Postby iMess » Thu May 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Return to “General Chat”