C&C Fans

Exactly what it says on the tin
Crafty
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin

Re: C&C Fans

Postby Crafty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Houlden wrote:
Merson wrote:
iMess wrote:Sounds like a "EA Management didn't want to give us the freedom to make the game we wanted, so we are out of a job and the last 3 years is wasted." Oh well, End of Nations is still on its way.

You can't blame this on EA. There's a reason they pulled the plug at this point in time.

Actually, you kind of can. It was originally going to be a straight up Generals game in the Frostbite engine, and then they had some fantastic idea to put microtransactions in every game, and then turn the new Generals into a straight up F2P MP-only C&C game.

The team making it was originally Bioware (which is a fully EA owned studio), changed the name of the team at the time of the fantastic F2P MP-only transition (also because it was just after the Tortanic sank and ME3 got so much shtick - not really a trusted brand at that point), so yeah, the team was under strict EA supervision.

Not entirely surprised they pulled the plug, they wouldn't want yet another screw up on one of their major franchises.

I wish I had your level of insider EA knowledge
dd8890 wrote:i have payed useing paypal it say's on it i have payed on the 5 nov £22.93 buy y is it on westlan saying that i am unpay

Freelance
1337 Krew
Origin ID: scratched_uk
Battle.net: scratched#2526
steamid: scratched

Postby Freelance » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Nah, it was victory studio, then bioware victory, then back to EA victory. Adding bioware was just when they were slapping that brand on everything, and then people were making jokes about romancing your tank.

Bioware is pretty much just a brand right now. There's the two original studios (Edmonton/Montreal), but from my perspective they've got to prove themselves on their next games, they've been making a lot of good noises, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking that could be just marketing. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

What really surprises me (or perhaps not) about the whole C&C situation is that besides their vague wording not ruling out the future, that they've just shitcanned it, that they've decided there's no future value here (cutting losses already incurred) rather than being able to turn it around and put out something. I suppose there's good and bad ways to look at that.

It's not really insider knowledge either, just keeping informed about a series you like and applying some business thinking to it.
I adblock smilies.

Crafty

Postby Crafty » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:21 pm

thats fine - you make some legitimate points and you're backing them up

however, coming out with things like:

the team was under strict EA supervision.

i'd be interested to know how you have this information?
dd8890 wrote:i have payed useing paypal it say's on it i have payed on the 5 nov £22.93 buy y is it on westlan saying that i am unpay

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:22 pm

Crafty wrote:I wish I had your level of insider EA knowledge

This. So much this.

I'll say it as nicely as possible. But your spewing out shite.

Houlden
Unter Peon

Postby Houlden » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Merson wrote:
Crafty wrote:I wish I had your level of insider EA knowledge

This. So much this.

I'll say it as nicely as possible. But your spewing out shite.

They're a publicly traded company for pete's sake, they've got to disclose every ounce of information about themselves or else they get screwed over by shareholders. They reside mainly in the EALA offices (if you can't be bothered to find out what that stands for, EA Los Angeles), doesn't seem like a separate entity to me. Also the game wasn't being made under the Partner's program, which is the EA arm dedicated to simple publishing, i.e. not controlling what they do.

"Type: Subsidiary of Electronic Arts
Owner(s): Electronic Arts
Parent: Electronic Arts"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Games_%28EA%29

Definition of Subsidiary company:

A company whose voting stock is more than 50% controlled by another company, usually referred to as the parent company or holding company. A subsidiary is a company that is partly or completely owned by another company that holds a controlling interest in the subsidiary company.

Ownership of more than 50% of voting shares generally gives the right of control and consolidation.

More info:

Victory Games, briefly known as BioWare Victory, was a game studio founded by Electronic Arts tasked with developing a new entry in the Command & Conquer franchise.

Part of the Electronic Arts studio family, BioWare Victory (previously EA Victory Games) was established as a studio dedicated to the development of strategy titles for EA Games.

C'mon guys, 5 minutes of Googling tells you this information. Yeah, saying "the team was under strict EA supervision." was a bit overzealous, but not false.

While I'm in dickhead mode as well;

"You're"
i5 3570k - Hyper 212 Evo - ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance - 2x SLI MSI 760 - 128GB Samsung 830 - 1TB WD Red

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 pm

Houlden,

You do realise crafty and merson work for EA?

And hence are the only uses of origin on the forum
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Merson
Ban Hammer Admin
Origin ID: Merson
Battle.net: Merson#2706
steamid: Merson

Postby Merson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 pm

It wasn't aimed at your googling skills. We all know there have been many name changes to the studio. It was aimed at what you both blame the failures of the game on, and the subtle statements you add which you have zero information on.

I should know, I work for the company. I'm also not going to discuss it any further. You know, NDA and all.

Origin ftw

P.S: I apologise for sounding off like that but it pains me to see everyone instantly blame EA.

bloodtobleed
Westlan Staff
Origin ID: bloodtobleed
Battle.net: bloodtobleed#2312
steamid: 02cfranklin

Postby bloodtobleed » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:16 pm

In this case, I'm pretty happy with EA on this one (ikr). I played a bit of the new C&C and hated it. To see that they pulled the plug instead of disappointing fans (finally) is a good thing in my books.

Neomancer
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:47 pm

You know, NDA all.

We won't tell anyone..Honest.

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:10 am

Merson wrote:P.S: I apologise for sounding off like that but it pains me to see everyone instantly blame EA.

The thing is, while I agree it's wrong to just bash EA by default, they've certainly put their foot in it enough over the years in various forms. Mud sticks, just ask Goose about his car crashes that happened years ago.
I adblock smilies.

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I don't want to go on the cart!

For those of you who bought The C&C Ultimate Collection, your early access to the beta will be honored once production of this title resumes under a new studio.
I adblock smilies.

Neomancer
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:13 pm

interesting.. so the game mechanics not the issue.. the studio?

or being passed to a studio to make a new good RTS?

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:25 pm

At this point I'm not sure if it's a comedy of errors. Running studios isn't cheap, let alone setting them up, letting them run for a few years making a big high-fidelity title, shutting them down, starting up another studio and letting that run for a few years. They also shuttered Phenomic a while ago, who reformed as their own independent studio so they're not available to EA now.

I'm wondering what EA's angle is on this that they ever expect to make money on it. They seem to have some conviction to do something RTS or use the C&C brand, so I guess there's at least some history of them making decent money. I'm also wondering about the new consoles, which again wouldn't be a new thing, perhaps they thought a PC F2P wouldn't do it for them so the project needed a reboot. Maybe we'll see them roll something 'safe' off the production line like the multiplatform LOTR/C&C3/RA3 games. On second thought who can tell.
I adblock smilies.

Jammy
Unter Peon

Postby Jammy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Freelance wrote:Maybe we'll see them roll something 'safe' off the production line like the multiplatform LOTR/C&C3/RA3 games. On second thought who can tell.

You jest, you can't be suggesting an RTS on console? They always flop, as it's not the media for playing strategies

Freelance
1337 Krew

Postby Freelance » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Jammy wrote:
Freelance wrote:Maybe we'll see them roll something 'safe' off the production line like the multiplatform LOTR/C&C3/RA3 games. On second thought who can tell.

You jest, you can't be suggesting an RTS on console? They always flop, as it's not the media for playing strategies

And yet EA did several of them on the 360 last generation. Despite the "lol EA" way of looking at it, I'd think they wouldn't do it if it flopped hard the first time or two (in which case they probably wouldn't do any version), and from what I've heard they didn't suck. Console RTS probably has some payoff, and that not to exclude that they might just come up with a good/better way of doing it.
I adblock smilies.

Return to “General Chat”