South Devon Lan, Torbay area.

Exactly what it says on the tin
Sir Benji
n00b

South Devon Lan, Torbay area.

Postby Sir Benji » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:13 pm

Hello everybody, I live in a town called Brixham in Torbay, I have access to a hall that can hold about 30 computers and people comfortably, there is a kitchen there, toilets, not really any sleeping space though. Anyway, would any people here be interested in coming, I do however have a small problem with servers/networking/power, a school friend of mine has a few 10mbit switches with quite a bit of cableage, but its all quite basic really. We do have problem with dedicated game servers though, maybe can get 1 or 2 machines to use as dedicated servers, which doesnt exactly mean a great variety of games can be played at once. Also I was wandering how safe it is to power this many computers off of probably around 10-14 plug sockets, would the hall be able to handle it? Thanks for any help.
Ben :)

Electro
1337 Krew

Postby Electro » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:19 pm

Well we can help you with the LAN for a small fee to cover rental of our equipment, so thats not a problem providing you incorporate it into the entrance fee.

Power is always an issue at these halls, you need to see if all of those sockets are on one ring main (bad) or if their spit up into several (good) - usually you can tell from the fuse box / power panel, what rings the hall has.

If you could take a photo of all the switches/breakers/fuses in the panel than that would be a great help.

Usually you'll get around 10 computers on one ring main (assuming they all have CRT's, maybe more if the majority uses TFT's)

-Dave
WestLAN Staff

Sir Benji
n00b

Postby Sir Benji » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:24 pm

Ok, i will take a piccy of the fuses etc, also how much would it cost to rent all of your networking equipment? also would u people come with the equipment? cause i dont like the idea of me being there with it without u.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:33 pm

Kit price is dependant on the length of time, distance we need to travel, amount of kit / cables we need to bring, if you need support doing the website, etc, etc.
There will always be at least one member of the westlan staff with the equiptment you rent. To be entirely honest, its a couple of grands worth of kit which we can't affort to replace if it gets broken / nicked. Obviously we'd expect free tickets for any of the westlan staff going. We'd be happy to help set up the network itself, we'd expect you to do the main organisation and shift the tables.

Hall wise, you mainly need to check
A) As dave said, the power is up to it
B) If they hall is on any kind of electric meter (50p meter == BBBBaaaaddd, Topup key == Expensive)
C) If the hall will let you sleep overnight - Although its normally an idea to leave it to a single day for the first event.
Obviously, you want to know how much they will be charging you for the hall and if they want cash for the electric, a deposit, etc, etc

If you could get an idea of those details, give me an email directly (wishy@westlan.co.uk) and we'll give you an idea of prices. (Which will be reasonable enough for you to charge a sensible amount to those attending)
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Sir Benji
n00b

Postby Sir Benji » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:49 pm

The hall is FREE absolutely and totally FREE, I do not have to pay for power or anything, and it does not run off any mnasty meters or keys. IT IS ALL FREE, if u catch my drift.

Wishy
Senior Icelandic Field Sausage Engineer

Postby Wishy » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:50 pm

Ok

If you could get the photos and check its all ok for overnight stays, then pop me an email, and we'll get something sorted out :)

Steve
Wishy - Westlan Web type person.

Sir Benji
n00b

Postby Sir Benji » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:53 pm

ok sent u one e-mail, i dont see why it wouldnt be ok for overnight apart from lack of sleeping space, I was talking to the guy who is letting me have the hall for lans, i have known him since i was 4 (now 16, 17 in August woot) and am gopd mates with him, this is why he is letting me have the hall for free! And there have been a couple of people have sleepovers in this hall before so i think it s all ok.

Losbad
n00b

Postby Losbad » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:36 pm

Hello All,

My first post here. I am keen to try a LAN and like the idea of the MiniLAN I like even more the idea of a MiniLAN in Torbay somewhere as I live in Torquay. So a thumbs up from me if you get it sorted.

Cheers,

Losbad

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:23 pm

if i can get a lift im interested in that :)

unless im driving :twisted:

Electro
1337 Krew

Postby Electro » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:12 pm

Neomancer wrote:if i can get a lift im interested in that :)

unless im driving :twisted:

If your driving, your driving on your own :P

Neomancer
Resident Sarcasm Master Admin
Origin ID: neomancer86
steamid: neomancer86

Postby Neomancer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:26 pm

chicken :P

ShaneC
1337 Krew

Re: South Devon Lan, Torbay area.

Postby ShaneC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm

When's this lan going to happen then :lol:

Stoolbend
n00b

Re: South Devon Lan, Torbay area.

Postby Stoolbend » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:24 pm

Hopefully soon pls?
I live down here and have access to equipment.
Let's do this.
> Rich .: fuck that
> "Conor - 【=◈︿◈=】": yeah but like
> "Conor - 【=◈︿◈=】": the intro music gives me a stiffy

Return to “General Chat”